Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Vegans...

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    ^^Love, I ordered some KAL nutritional yeast for a seitan recipe I was trying out, and I really like it. Very tasty. And apparently healthy too, lots of B Vitamins and other good stuff.

For those of you in the US, I bough some So Delicious Coconut Milk Eggnog today. It really IS delicious. I hate traditional eggnog, this is much lighter and better, yet creamy. Also bought Almond Breeze half Almond/half Coconut Milk. Much creamier than straight almond milk.
    Have you tried the So Delicious coconut/green tea ice cream? It is to die for! Krogers has it here.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^No, I didn't know they make ice cream, thanks for the tip!! Their yogurt is pretty good too. We don't have Kroger's here, I will check at HEB. They usually have a great selection.
    I put some coconut eggnog in my coffee this morning, very tasty. They should change flavors and sell it as coffee creamer year 'round.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I'm not strict vegan/vegetarian but for the most part my diet is plant based. I love cheese way too much to ever give it up! I only eat meat once a week.

I haven't read all the replies so this may have already been suggested but I love Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbook Appetite for Reduction. It has lower fat and calorie recipes if you're looking to lose a bit of weight. Veganomicon is good too. I do see Waterslide referenced her Post Punk Kitchen website. She doesn't use processed foods or fake cheeses and her recipes are awesome. My BF is a total carnivore and he loves her lasagna which is made with a roasted cauliflower "ricotta". We also like her Big Fat Vegan Taco salad.

Oh She Glows has excellent recipes too! http://ohsheglows.com/

Also The Cooking Channel has a new vegan show

The Cooking Channel Goes Vegan with New Show on Jan. 6 | Ecorazzi

Get ready vegan foodies. The Cooking Channel is starting off the new year by diving headfirst into the world of veganism with their new show on plant based cooking, “How To Live To 100

With the first episode airing on Sunday January 6th at 8pm, we hope they’ll catch the newly converted vegans and vegan-curious who made it their new years resolution to drop animal products from their diet. And of course, the hordes of vegans who love watching cooking shows, but up until now have been forced to suffer through recipes filled with cream, meat, and eggs, and then figure out how to convert them into creature-free recipes.

The show features chef Jason Wrobel as he cooks up delicious and beautiful plant based dishes made with super food ingredients. To get a preview, you can already see some of his recipes online including cilantro lime pesto pasta, black bean chickpea salad, coconut yogurt with fresh figs and apples. Super yum. We especially love that Wrobel has an expertise in raw cooking.

As for testimonials, Wrobel counts among his fans Woody Harrelson, Jeremy Piven, Robin Wright, Sigourney Weaver, and Russell Simmons.
    Last edited by KristiB; January 6th, 2013 at 09:28 AM.

Coconut yogurt with fresh figs! I have to have that one. Yummy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

How's the vegan diet going Constance?

I've had to make a pretty big change in my diet - gluten AND dairy free on doctor's advice (sensitivity to both). I didn't want to believe it, thought her theory was bullshit but said I'd give it a go for a few months to see what happened. Within two weeks I felt so much better - the crippling IBS and reflux symptoms I'd been struggling with for years had gone. So that sealed it for me - I must be slightly allergic, or at least sensitive to one or the other or both.

Because it's not an intolerance or allergy I'm lucky because I can "cheat" in small doses. If I do it in large doses, or in small but frequent doses, I know about it (and it's unpleasant...) But reasonable and occasional doses of gluten and/or dairy seem to be OK.

My biggest problem has been CHEESE. I switched to soy milk fine, love cooking with almond milk or coconut milk. Had no issue changing to gluten free foods (love quinoa and polenta, and ate a fair bit of rice anyway) but fucking cheese! It's the killer. Soy cheese is just awful. Plastic, foul tasting shit. So my compromise is smaller quantities of really good quality cheese, preferably lactose free (like goat's or sheep's cheeses) That seems to be OK, although going gung ho on pizza doesn't always go down well.

I've found that for gluten *and dairy* free I've ended up with a lot of vegan recipes books and sites. This one is great: Recipes for a healthier living | Wholesome Cook It's certainly expanded my cooking horizons more than I thought it would. I just find it frustrating that so many American recipes call for such insane levels of salt and sugar - I have a couple of books by the Flying Apron Bakery, and seriously there's a cake in there that calls for 3 CUP of maple or agave syrup. That's equivalent to 3 cups of sugar. WTF?!

Sassi, am glad to read your diet change has made such a positive difference in your health. I haven't noticed very much difference, but I am hoping my innards are benefiting. As for hubby and I, after trying really hard to live a vegan lifestyle, I greatly admire everyone who can do it and stick with it. Just like for you, the "sticking" point was cheese, ha. We tried every cheese alternative out there and I totally agree with you that most of them are revolting. The rest are barely edible. We've also discovered goat cheese, the trader joe's (you probably don't have those down under) goat cheddar is really good.

I also hate all of the alternative coffee creamers. I found a small family farm which sells grass fed raw milk and raw cream, so I buy cream from there and we are back to enjoying coffee. Still no milk though, neither one of us misses it. Like you, we just use almond milk which I sometimes make or, if I am out of almonds, buy from the store.

Thank you for the link, and I totally agree about the insane amounts of sugar/corn syrup and salt. My European friends are always grossed out when they taste US cakes, breads, and other baked goods, as well as restaurant foods, chocolate and other stuff. Too much sugar, too much salt, too much fat. I don't understand why bakeries here even add corn syrup to bread. Best to make all of that stuff from scratch. As for recipes, I usually cut the sugar by half or more and haven't had a problem.

Kristi, just now saw your post, thank you for the links!! Would have never thought to use cauliflower to make "ricotta", that's pretty inventive. Yes, I would love to lose a few pounds, will definitely check that book out.

A*O

I'm a huge fan of cauliflower "rice", "mash", "purée" etc. It's so versatile and takes lots of different flavourings/spices extremely well. Great in low/no carb recipes too.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I'm a huge fan of cauliflower "rice", "mash", "purée" etc. It's so versatile and takes lots of different flavourings/spices extremely well. Great in low/no carb recipes too.
    i love it, too. Such great flavor and texture.

you can even make low carb cauliflower pizza 'dough' out of cauliflowers and it tastes good too. and i saw a recipe for cauliflower tortillas on pinterest the other day that i want to try.
    there's a place in my neighbourhood that makes this crispy roasted cauliflower with truffle oil and pecorino that is to fucking die for.
    Brookie likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Faithanne, hummus is good for sure. I forgot about the ghee, ugh.
    AO, we both detest tofu, so that's out. Plus, soy foods aren't really all that healthy anyway. I can do lentils, I like those. But hubby hates them, haha. This is not as painless as I thought it would be. We both love meat, but after watching a couple farm docus, just can't eat it any more.
    Kris, haven't heard of Farro, will have to check into that. Love Basmati, Jasmine, etc.
    Greys, thanks, will look for aabbcc recipes.
    I'm very late to this thread but I become a vege about 2 months ago now and I love love tempeh which is a fermented soy/tofu and much healthier than normal tofu. I hate normal tofu too and trust me tempeh is so much tastier!! I'm hooked!

I've been treating my work colleagues with my homemade vegan and gluten free crêpes, they all loved them (or they are all really polite )
    (on the plus side : no milk, no eggs, no butter, and no gluten, they're really easy to digest … means you can put twice as much chocolate over them )

Cheese was also for my the hardest thing to give up, but as I am a vegan for ethical reasons, I felt too guilty to enjoy it so eventually, I don't miss it anymore !
    But I agree that soy cheese tastes awful, rice milk cheese is better but awfully expensive.
    However, I love vegan cheese that you can spread on bread, with spices or garlic, love it !

Living in Cheese Country (aka France ) makes it difficult to avoid, but with time it's completely manageable.

I agree with Sassi, I gave up gluten last july, thinking "well, that must be crap but let's try this gluten free diet" and god I do feel better !
    So now that's vegan and gluten free diet for me (hopefully I like to cook but I'm craving for a Kitchen Aid thingy, it'd look gorgeous in my kitchen )
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I incorporate Braggs nutritional yeast which to me is a great alternative to cheese and tastes divine! I don't miss cheese at all now that I have found this gem :-)

A*O

There was a discussion on the radio today about the pros and cons of eating meat and of course it got heated as yet another strident, bolshy vegtard called in to berate "murderers" who dare to feast on the flesh of innocent, dead animals, blah blah. I totally respect someone's choice not to eat meat or animal products but these sometimes unhinged fanatics don't do the "cause" any good whatsoever. Just calm the fuck down and let's talk, not yell, about it OK?
    KristiB and joebob like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    yet another strident, bolshy vegtard
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Bolshy, I learned a new word! Agree though, fanaticism never works, from either side.
    We're still trundling along, and hubby has developed a taste for beans. Went to an Indian store and bought a bunch of different pulses, lentils, chana daal, toor daal, various curry and massala spices. Gonna go back next time we are in the big city, there was way too much to look at for one visit.
    Cauliflower, love it and hub hates it. I cook it with potatoes and mash both together, he didn't notice and once I confessed, he didn't mind cause he couldn't taste it.
    Voodoo, I found tempeh bacon locally, and it's great on BLT's. Also love nutritional yeast, but for some weird reason it causes my blood pressure to go way up. It's dodgy already and I don't want to go on meds, so no more nut. yeast for me.
    Voodoo Child likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information