Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Vegans...

Sputnik, I love mushrooms and eat them a lot, hubby does not care for them, phhh. We went vegetarian quite a few years ago (only for a year or so), but did it all wrong. As in too many carbs, sugar, high sodium and preservative prepared veg foods, etc. Not gonna make the same mistake again. It's becoming very evident it will take a lot more juggling and adjustments to get enough nutrients from a vegan diet. I tend to run anemic and since heme iron and b12 are much easier to absorb than plant-based, I might have to look at supplements. Not too worried about protein cause most Americans eat way too much protein anyway, and greens, nuts, oat products, legumes and other staples contain plenty. So protein requirements shouldn't be too hard to meet. I love lentils, chick peas, and some other beans. Hubby loves most beans except for lentils and chick peas. So, I guess I'll have to make different dishes, or we'll have to learn to like all of it. I don't know if we can do this long-term, but we are both wiling to give it a really good try.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

he doesn't like lentils, tofu or mushrooms? and you don't like beans or tofu? and you want to go vegan? no offence, but good luck with that. it will require a lot of effort and work to get enough protein, and have enough variety so that you don't end up hating your food.
    i think it's hard enough being a picky eater when you're an omnivore but being picky and vegan is extremely restrictive.
    Waterslide, yanna and Ravenna like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Constance, I admire you and your husband wanting to give this a try even knowing how hard it's going to be to do. I think the trick is to find ways of preparing food you don't already like in a way that's palatable. Since you don't like beans, you could try throwing some in the food processor and adding them to soup or stew. That way it doesn't seem like eating an actual bean.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    We go vegan to give ourselves a bit of detox for a few weeks, not for moral reasons. Sorry my petard friends. Giving up meat isn't too hard but a future without fish, eggs or cheese seems pretty bleak to me.
    The detox thing makes sense to me. I've had to give up dairy before and it was pretty bleak. Since at the time I didn't have a choice in the matter, I feel like I should live it up.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    if i were to go vegan, i'd make lots of indian food. corn is delicious too, i'd also learn to make corn tortillas from scratch, not the nasty tex-mex ones that are made with cornmeal but the real mexican and central american ones that are made with a different type of corn flour - don't know what it's called but i'm sure you can find it in salvadorean or central american shops. you can also stuff them by rolling the dough into a ball, making a little divet or hollow in it, stuffing it, and then closing up the hole before flattening the ball with a tortilla maker.
    Is the cornmeal masa harina? Or is that for something else?
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

We can both still eat the types of legumes we like. As for Tofu, from what I've read, it's not as healthy as previously thought, and fermented soy foods are preferable. But we'll see, we are going to give it a good try and if it does not work at all, we'll have to regroup and maybe include some dairy.

Do corn tortillas and mashed pinto beans. The corn in tortillas is nixtamalized, which is a chemical process that unlocks the nutritional value of corn--something you can't get from eating regular corn. Add salsa and other veggies (I sautee sliced zucchini) to make a taco.

Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Thanks, Beeyotch, that sounds good. Except no cheese, ugh. I don't miss meat at all, but I miss cream in my coffee and CHEESE!!

Waterslide, thanks much for the site link, off to check it out.
    Last edited by ConstanceSpry; December 3rd, 2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Didn't see Waterslide's post
    Waterslide likes this.

I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years, and cooking for myself for most of them.

You're going to have a hard route with those food restrictions, as others have said, legumes of all kinds are staples of a vegan diet, and mushrooms feature heavily in flavoring stuff. Is it the taste or the textures that the two of you dislike? The good thing about lentils (and tofu) is that they're not strongly flavored, and the taste can change dramatically depending on how they're prepared. Most beans are on the mild side as well, and there are so many different kinds... maybe there's a variety you will like? (Myself, I don't care for kidney beans at all, but I love, love, love black beans.) Mushrooms vary in taste as well. Asian mushrooms like shitakes or wild mushrooms are a whole lot different than plain old button mushrooms, and the liquid left over from reconstituting dried mushrooms is great for making sauces and gravies, or as a base for soup.

As far as your B12 deficiency goes, look into nutritional yeast. It's available at any health food store (or online) and it has a nutty/cheesy taste, a little like parmesan. Delicious sprinkled on pasta or rice, and loaded with B vitamins.

Edited to add: Coconut cream, rice milk, and almond milk are all good as dairy replacements for coffee.

A*O

I've tried vegan "chese" and it's pretty revolting. Pimped tofu basically. You can make beans into all kinds of dips, just blitz in a blender with plenty of garlic, spices, etc. But yeah, being vegan is extra tricky if you are picky in the first place. I disagree that Americans eat too much protein, they eat too much, period but thats another debate. The real villain is corn syrup that's hidden in almost everything you don't make from scratch. But at least it's vegan!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Vera, thanks for the yeast suggestion, that sounds kinda tasty. I've tried the various milks in coffee and they are too thin. I do like almond milk on oat bran.
    AO, lots of Americans I know eat too much protein. I am talking some form of meat 3 times a day, plus lots of dairy. I read an interesting article a while back that many fat Americans are actually malnourished, in a nutritional sense. Agree about the corn syrup and we've avoided that crap for years now.

Are you vegan for health reasons or for moral reasons? Or did you just want to try it out?

^^Actually, all of the above. We watched some food documentaries re. factory farm animals and they were absolutely horrific. Plus, we both have family histories of heart disease and diabetes, and cancer runs in husband's family. So, if we are able to stick it out, win-win.

Coconut cream - the kind that comes in a can and goes in a pina colada - is much thicker than coconut milk. You might try mixing a thickener into the rice or almond milk, like cornstarch or arrowroot, too.

I always think I'm a pretty boring vegan cook because I tend to eat the same things over and over and my inner Scot loves her stodge. I don't eat any soy and I've never felt particularly restricted. I do like beans and I have several different kinds in the pantry. With beans you can make all kinds of soups and burgers and chilis and burritos/enchiladas/tacos. I also love potatoes and baked potatoes make a very filling entree when you add a topping like leftover homemade soup, chili, baked beans, spaghetti sauce, etc. Then, of course, there is pasta. Spaghetti is super-easy and lasagne is fairly easy to veganize and everyone loves it. I eat a lot of grain, too. Brown rice and pot barley and oats are my favourites. Oats are great in veggie burgers and any kind of thick soup or stew is good over rice.

For times when you feel you need something meaty, seitan is very easy to make at home with vital wheat gluten, and you can make it in a bunch of different flavours: turkey, ham, chicken, beef. It also freezes well, so you can make a big batch and then portion it and throw it in the freezer. I liked seitan a lot when I first went vegan, but I've been eating this way for so long that I've evolved to a very simple everyday diet.

A couple of cookbooks that I really like are 1000 Vegan Recipes and Vegan on the Cheap, both by Robin Robertson. She has a new vegan slow cooker book out as well if you have a crockpot.

And here is a recipe blog written by one of my favourite vegan food writers Bryanna Clark Grogan (who is seriously awesome!):
    Notes from the Vegan Feast Kitchen

Check out her recipe links page and her holiday recipe links page. You will be amazed!

If I think of anything else, I will do another post. If you have any questions or need a recipe for something, just ask! I have loads and loads of cookbooks and I am always happy to talk food!

PS: The Post Punk Kitchen has a forum.
    Novice likes this.

Vera, I am nervous about coconut cream cause of the high fat content and the conflicting info re. healthy/not healthy.
    aabbcc, thanks much for weighing in!! I attempted making Seitan during our vegetarian tryout, it was inedible. We both liked the store-bought stuff okay, but can't get that around here. I might try making it again though, with a different recipe. The one I used back then involved soaking flour and kneading it till the gluten separated (or something like that) and then boiling it.
    Thanks much for the cookbook tips and links, lots to read up on.
    One other question I have is, how do you entertain non-vegans, and what do you eat when non-vegans invite you, do you bring your own dishes to share?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information