Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: US recipe books

I don't think we'd ever get chicken in these parts for 79 cents. More like $2.79. Food is expensive in Vancouver, especially if you go organic or free range.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Holy...that's hella cheap! Unbelievable. I hope we are getting quality poultry over here for the price we pay!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

When I buy a whole chicken, it tends to be around $10. And it only gives me one meal, cuz me and the bf are big eaters. We both exercise a lot, tho, so perhaps my food budget would go further if I was lazy

When they go on sale here whole chickens will sometimes be 69 or even 50 cents a pound..*goes and checks freezer*..I have 4 frozen chickens..1 was 89 cents a pound and the other 3 were 49 cents a pound(Tyson brand). Also they will sometimes have a buy one get one free sale at the stores here.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Well, I do believe in the US, lots of the chickens, cows, pigs, are corn-fed, rather than grain-fed. And then there's the whole "not fed animal by-products".

Corn is very inexpensive (hence everything having high-fructose corn syrup in it as a filler. Super-size me, anyone?), but there have been some recent studies that say that eating meat that has been corn-fed is kinda like eating the high-fructose corn syrup, and can lead to obesity. Very strange!

Personally, I buy the Maple Leaf Prime (no animal by-products ) chicken. Six small chicken breasts for about $14 yesterday.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post
    Corn is very inexpensive (hence everything having high-fructose corn syrup in it as a filler. Super-size me, anyone?), but there have been some recent studies that say that eating meat that has been corn-fed is kinda like eating the high-fructose corn syrup, and can lead to obesity. Very strange!
    Absolutely! I could not believe how 'sweet' everything tasted in the US, even things like bread. Check the label and lo and behold - corn syrup in everything (although they sometimes call it 'energy' to fool you). Maybe I'm over-sensitive to sugar because I don't add it to anything but even the kids remarked on things tasting 'different', ie, sweet.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

That scares me.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

What scares me is that you eventually get used to the sweetness! Yea everything is too sweet even in Canada (I guess N. America in general). I really don't like chocolate here for that reason. Is it necessary to add so much sugar?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Absolutely! I could not believe how 'sweet' everything tasted in the US, even things like bread. Check the label and lo and behold - corn syrup in everything (although they sometimes call it 'energy' to fool you). Maybe I'm over-sensitive to sugar because I don't add it to anything but even the kids remarked on things tasting 'different', ie, sweet.
    No, you are correct! I hate it because sweet stuff always tastes magnified to me for some reason. The worst I ever have encountered was at a WEDDING of all things! The caterer had made EVERYTHING sweet-even the veggies would have made a dessert! Then, I thought well,thank goodness I got a roll because I can't eat this -the roll could have doubled for a wedding cake! YUK. Not one item was spared.For the most part, American Southern cooking is far less sweet,leaning to more salty flavors & not so you are driven to water. Please see if you can get the book "Being Dead is No Excuse"
    not only is it funny, but has interesting recipes from the Mississippi Delta.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    it struck me the other day how much frozen and canned ingredients are listed...Almost no fresh ingredients at all.
    You're totally right. I read this yesterday and had to go look through all my cookbooks (which I don't use but always get as gift cause I love to cook, but I cook from memory or making stuff up or trying to duplicate things I've had in restaurants).

Every one of the recipes had some sort of canned food item listed, if not multiple. But you know what surprised me even more was the number of receipes that called for cream of chicken or mushroom soup. Who knew how much crap you could make with those two soups? Not I.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information