Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unique, original hometown or regional foods or drinks

I have a cast iron muffin tin-holds 6 & is round-does that sound right?
    Sounds perfect! Let me know what you think of them once you've eaten!
    Curiouser and curiouser...

New Orleans-
    Muffalettas
    Beignets
    Gumbo
    Jambalaya

Houston-
    In any barbecue restaurant, brisket and sausage links served on wax paper and ketchup based sauce
    my personal favorite, shipley's donuts

South Carolina-
    Sweet Tea
    Boiled Peanuts
    Pork barbecue with mustard based sauce

Pinklilycat. Disaster has ensued. I don't know what I did wrong, but I think the oven was too hot I guess-the pudding hadn't been in there long enough but I could smell it burning. Then when I opened the door all this smoke whooshed out and set off the fire detecters. Then the dogs started barking and running around, the Parrot (2 rooms away thankfully) started screaming. I had to dump everything in the sink and cold-water it down. The rest of the stuff was ok, but my nerves are shattered. I am in despair. I think I had it up a little higher-at 450+ just to get it hot enough, you know, and forgot to turn it back down. Thank goodness it was warm enough I could open all the doors & windows, but I think I can still smell scorched stuff. My husband is not as keen on it as I am anymore. I shall not be deterred! I am going to try it again in a couple of weeks after he forgets a bit. He has to clean up the kitchen, so hates burned stuff.
    It was really easy and I was doing so good! What a mess!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

OH NO!!! I'm soooo sorry but it sounds like a scene from a bad farce!!! Bless your heart honey! Better luck next time and keep me informed!!

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but British puddings are completely different from what Americans think of as pudding, yes? Aren't yours usually savory while ours are sweet?
    British puddings are generally sweet, but there are some exceptions. There is yorkshire pudding, which is a savoury batter cooked in the oven and usually served with roast meat, then there's black pudding, which is the infamous blood sausage which is sliced and fried with a full English breakfast, and then there's steak and kidney pudding, which is a steamed suet pastry case filled with meat and gravy and steamed in a pudding bowl.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Quote Originally Posted by pinklilycat View Post
    OH NO!!! I'm soooo sorry but it sounds like a scene from a bad farce!!! Bless your heart honey! Better luck next time and keep me informed!!
    It was a nightmare! I wish it could have been cut off with a quick click of the remote! I would have clicked in a heart beat! I had my heart SET on it, and was really doing well! I will try it again!!
    PS-have been boiling lemons all morning and think the smell is going.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh area:

Primanti Brothers. They put coleslaw and french fries on their sandwiches. My husband hates it but I love it.

A lot of places around here serve deep fried pickles and deep fried pretzels. I'm not big on deep fried foods, but the pretzels are good dipped in honey mustard. (on another note, I had a college professor who claimed that Americans will deep fry ANYTHING).

Lake Erie perch is also a popular dish. It is very mild tasting when it is fresh and cooked right.

PS-have been boiling lemons all morning and think the smell is going.
    MAN - you crack me up!!! I hope they're worth the effort after all this trouble luvvie!

I think now before I try anyone's recipe they are going to make me sign a "Hold Harmless" document!

i think i am already there i am a terrible cook
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by AriesRising View Post
    Pittsburgh area:

Primanti Brothers. They put coleslaw and french fries on their sandwiches. My husband hates it but I love it.

A lot of places around here serve deep fried pickles and deep fried pretzels. I'm not big on deep fried foods, but the pretzels are good dipped in honey mustard. (on another note, I had a college professor who claimed that Americans will deep fry ANYTHING).

Lake Erie perch is also a popular dish. It is very mild tasting when it is fresh and cooked right.
    My daughter loves Primanti Brothers & goes there every time she goes to Pittsburgh. We eat a lot of Lake Erie perch around here too! One thing that's popular around here is muskrat. I don't eat it but have been to a few muskrat dinners at the churches & gun clubs. It doesn't smell to good & looks even worse! My bf eats it but I had the beef roast they also serve. My town has a muskrat as the town mascot & a statue of one downtown. How backwoods is that!

Bronze Member

B.C..........muskrat ? Wild game is also popular where I live. I live in the "backwoods" like you do. (I do not live in "dahntahn" Pittsburgh, but 50 miles away, in a rural area). "Wild game" dinners usually involve meats such as venison, quail, and pheasant. A lot of times non-native species such as elk, caribou, moose, and bear are served too. I have personally never attended such a dinner, but we do eat the venison that my husband kills and the fish that we catch, and I prefer both to store bought meat.

I heard that there is a town in southern West Virginia that holds a "Roadkill Festival" every year. They do not literally pick up the dead animals off of the road and eat them, but they eat all kinds of unusual things like opossum, racoon, snakes, etc.

Muskrat Susie...Muskrat Sam../
    skin 'em-fry 'em up-tastes a lot like ham/

Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I must confess when I am in the South (of USA) I love hot boiled peanuts. Yum!

In Ottawa my original hometown we have Beavertails. They have begun to pop up everywhere but they are very much an integral part of skating on the canal. Beavertails are dough in the shape of a beaver's tail, deep fried and topped with cinnamon and sugar (there are many other flavours as well). It'll clog your arteries something awful but it is so good.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information