Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unique, original hometown or regional foods or drinks

OH MY!!!! I'm hungry now...

Yorkshire pudding is so yummy... do you put gravy on yours?

My favorites from when I lived in UK are:
    burnt creme... similar to creme brulee but the top is hard, like glass, and the bottom seems creamier than brulee... does that make sense?

Also love rarebit (sp???). Baked potato w/cheese and chopped leeks w/ham. That's how I had it, anyways...

Miss fish n' chips served in a newspaper, too.

By the way, is there anyone from Cincinatti?? I absolutely love your style of chilli... any recipes? Thanks!
    Jim Anchower at your service!

Taylor ham!!! I think one of the main reasons I could not live anywhere else is that I could never give up tayham. Especially after a night of drinking, nothing's better than eggs over easy with home fries & taylor ham. Goddammit, now I'm hungry agin!

In Ville Platt,LA they have the Cochon de Lait festival in May, I think.
    That is roasted pig-fabulous! The one time I went, the entire town is let us say-well juiced! People in the parade are falling off their horses!
    There is also a large Lebenon pressence with KIBBIES!! Love them.Egg shapped things ,fried-meat,rice & spices.
    Shedevilang-PLEASE try hot tamales! I love them & the Crawfish ones are great!
    Crawfish Boils-Crawfish,potatoes,corn on cob all boiled, highly seasoned,then you dump the whole thing on a picnic table covered in newspaper!
    New Orleans-Muffalotta sandwiches and you all would love this: Drive thru Daiquiri places! Lovely colors, not too strong to drive with!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i have tried them I don't care for them I don't like crawfish either but I love the potatoes and corn cooked with the crawfish. I'm from louisiana born and raised lol I don't like seafood period. i also like to have the sausage or chicken out of a crawfish boil some ppl add that in as well it makes it awesome. Daiguiri places oh man yeah I lived at one as a early adult lol they had one you could go in and try a different shot of everyone we got drunk as hell one night just sampling
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Beer nuggets are our thing. No one outside of this town even knows what they are and people who move away often come back just to get some- and they aren't even that special! It's basically beer battered bite size pieces of dough deep fried and served with pizza sauce and cheese sauce. You can also get them with different flavors like garlic parmesan and cinnamon sugar (no sauce with those for obvious reasons ).
    Yum. We call them Dough Balls. I love them, but I try to stay away, because there's nothing healthy about deep fried dough covered in cheese sauce.

I love french fries with chili and cheese, will have to try them with gravy and cheese. Sounds yummy...
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Yorkshire pudding is so yummy... do you put gravy on yours?
    Oh heck yeah!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
    Curiouser and curiouser...

I know you Londoners will think this is pitiful, but I have never once had Yorkshire Pudding and long to try it. Don't even know where to go in Texas!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    i have tried them I don't care for them I don't like crawfish either but I love the potatoes and corn cooked with the crawfish. I'm from louisiana born and raised lol I don't like seafood period. i also like to have the sausage or chicken out of a crawfish boil some ppl add that in as well it makes it awesome.
    Let me guess: you are not Cajun & have never even dated one of those raven-haired, blue-eyed ,sweet talking,slow-handed,fabulous kissing,great cooking ,woman loving little devils! What a waste! I highly recommend them to any woman, anywhere! OH MOTHER GOOSE.

oh hell yeah I've dated at least one lol and I highly recommend them myself. I'm just a really picky eater I've tried it all I just didn't like it now as far as gumbo goes if it is chicken and sausage i'll tear that up.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Correct me if I'm wrong, but British puddings are completely different from what Americans think of as pudding, yes? Aren't yours usually savory while ours are sweet?

I know you Londoners will think this is pitiful, but I have never once had Yorkshire Pudding and long to try it. Don't even know where to go in Texas!
    Londoners wouldn't care... they're from London - not Yorkshire!!
    You could make them yourself - trust me, it's sooooo worth it!!!

The following recipe makes around 4 - 6 yorkshire puddings depending upon the size of your yorkshire pudding tin…if you have one. Play around with it if you use a flat baking tin or other oven tray.
    Yorkshire Pudding Ingredients
    2 Eggs
    Half a Cup of Plain Flour
    Half a Cup of Milk
    A Pinch of salt
    1 Mixing Bowl
    Wooden Spoon
    Yorkshire pudding tin (or any small, round flat-ish baking tin)
    Oil / Lard

Take the flour and add it to the mixing bowl. Then crack both eggs and beat into the milk. Make a well in the centre of the flour and beat in the eggy milk mixture like you are making pancake mix. Use a hand mixer, whisk or fork for the beating ensuring you leave no lumps and beating in as much air as possible.
    You should have a somewhat thick, yellow mixture now. If you prefer your Yorkshire pudding sweeter then you can add currents or raisons to the mixture (I do) as well, mixing these in thoroughly.
    Yorkshire puddings take about 10 - 15 minutes to cook so these should go into the oven towards the end of your Sunday roast cooking time.
    The oven needs to be preheated to around 425-450 Farenheit (220 - 230 Celsius) which is probably will be already if you are roasting potatoes. Add a LITTLE oil, dripping or lard to each individual pudding tray and throw this in the oven for a few seconds to melt it.
    Then, spoon the yorkshire pudding mixture into the preheated tray sections trying not to overfill. Now, put them in the oven and in around 10 - 15 minutes they will be ready.
    Avoid opening the oven door as this will cause them to flop and you want fluffy, nicely risen Yorkshire puddings, not hard flat pancakes.
    Voila! Quick, simple and versatile.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Curiouser and curiouser...

Steamers, steamed clams- swirl them in hot water, dip in butter, little touch of salt, Delicious!
    Fish Stew
    Clam Chowder
    Sammy's Summer Ale w/Squeezed Lemon
    Corn Bread
    Hot Apple Cider (spiked, naturally)
    Bread Pudding
    Fenway Frank

And the ultimate, mouthwatering, most yummy thing ever- THE CLAMBAKE!!!
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Quote Originally Posted by pinklilycat View Post
    Londoners wouldn't care... they're from London - not Yorkshire!!
    You could make them yourself - trust me, it's sooooo worth it!!!

The following recipe makes around 4 - 6 yorkshire puddings depending upon the size of your yorkshire pudding tin…if you have one. Play around with it if you use a flat baking tin or other oven tray.

Yorkshire pudding tin (or any small, round flat-ish baking tin)
    Oil / Lard

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have a cast iron muffin tin-holds 6 & is round-does that sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    Steamers, steamed clams- swirl them in hot water, dip in butter, little touch of salt, Delicious!
    Fish Stew
    Clam Chowder
    Sammy's Summer Ale w/Squeezed Lemon
    Corn Bread
    Hot Apple Cider (spiked, naturally)
    Bread Pudding
    Fenway Frank

And the ultimate, mouthwatering, most yummy thing ever- THE CLAMBAKE!!!
    This is mean,mean Dean James! You know none of the rest of us get this!!! Totally beautiful!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information