Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 - Strangest food in the world

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    all of those things make me want to puke. i'm surprised durian wasn't on the list:

Durian

Durian is an exotic fruit relished mostly in South East Asia. It is known as the 'king of the fruits' and is infamous for its contrasting attributes. It exhibits a stench resembling the stink of crushed garlic mixed with Mediterranean cheese and army socks. However, the foul odor masks a delicious, creamy textured fruit that pacifies the palate.

Another riveting Durian fruit fact is that there is no other fruit that is loved and hated so much by people at the same time. An example of this is in Singapore, where people hate it so much that the law prohibits passengers from boarding the Mass Rapid Transit line if they are carrying a Durian. On the other hand, Singapore also houses some of the Durian fanatics, which spearheaded the inspiration to build 'Esplanade 4', a high tech building in the city.
    Most Asian airlines won't let you on board, if you ate those. They are really yummy, though. It's only when you burp that things get ugly...
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Most Asian airlines won't let you on board, if you ate those. They are really yummy, though. It's only when you burp that things get ugly...
    Bourdain says it takes a couple of days for the stench to go away!

Apparently some restaurant in NYC makes durian cheesecake...

Appetite gone. Never should have came to this thread.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    all of those things make me want to puke. i'm surprised durian wasn't on the list:

Durian

Durian is an exotic fruit relished mostly in South East Asia. It is known as the 'king of the fruits' and is infamous for its contrasting attributes. It exhibits a stench resembling the stink of crushed garlic mixed with Mediterranean cheese and army socks. However, the foul odor masks a delicious, creamy textured fruit that pacifies the palate.

Another riveting Durian fruit fact is that there is no other fruit that is loved and hated so much by people at the same time. An example of this is in Singapore, where people hate it so much that the law prohibits passengers from boarding the Mass Rapid Transit line if they are carrying a Durian. On the other hand, Singapore also houses some of the Durian fanatics, which spearheaded the inspiration to build 'Esplanade 4', a high tech building in the city.
    One of the most unforgettable description of durians I've ever read is that it's "like eating vanilla pudding in an outhouse".

I heard that some people will guard their durians with shotguns at night, that's how prized they are. And that they will let them fall on the ground and ripen to the point that they start to become infested with bugs.

When we were out shopping at an Asian grocery store, my brother in law was going to buy one out of curiosity. But his Thai wife stopped him and said, "No, you can't buy that. The part you throw away, will make your trashcan smell unbearable." Now, THAT'S bad.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I'd eat the cheese and brains have been eaten since time began.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I want to smell a Durian now...lol

Anything blood-based grosses me right out. I once went to the asian market with a Filipino friend and saw big pails of goats,cowand pigs blood for sale. I asked her if they actually eat that and yes they do. I also saw a 'club' pack of frozen frog legs. I was grossed out!
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by blissfullyunaware View Post
    I want to smell a Durian now...lol

Anything blood-based grosses me right out. I once went to the asian market with a Filipino friend and saw big pails of goats,cowand pigs blood for sale. I asked her if they actually eat that and yes they do. I also saw a 'club' pack of frozen frog legs. I was grossed out!
    I can attest the pig blood you saw with your friend is used in a Filipino dish called dinuguan (dee-noo-goo-on). Basically, it's a meat stew simmered in pig's blood. When it's cooked, the food looks like chocolate. When I was a teenager, my mom would make that particular dish. My friends would come over and remark, "Ooh, that looks yummy! I love chocolate fondue!" I chuckled, "Trust me. It's not chocolate fondue."
    Rock the fuck on!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I had baby octopus, but it was broiled and mixed with yellow rice. It wasn't that bad.
    i had octopus once and foud it horrible

veal brains are delicious. they make them regularly at my grandmother's and it's something i always look forward to.

blood pudding/sausage is delicious. i think people are just too turned off by what it is to properly taste it and give it a chance.

baby octopus is also delicious.

casu marzu is absolutely divine. why would it gross people out? you don't actually eat the worms, just the cheese.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    veal brains are delicious. they make them regularly at my grandmother's and it's something i always look forward to.

blood pudding/sausage is delicious. i think people are just too turned off by what it is to properly taste it and give it a chance.

baby octopus is also delicious.

casu marzu is absolutely divine. why would it gross people out? you don't actually eat the worms, just the cheese.
    Did you eat these since you were young? I just cannot seem to 'acquire' a taste for organ meats and anything blood related. I remember one time I was eating this noodle soup, and they had small chunks of 'blood cake' in them. I tried one and nearly gagged. I suppose one could 'mask' the taste of some of these foods with massive seasonings, but then to me that's not the 'essence' of these foods.

As for casu marzu, the times I have seen them on t.v., the locals were very much eating the worms. The worms in fact were wriggling throughout the cheese.

This thread makes me glad [and grateful] to be veggie.

By the way, I make a mean vegan haggis.

Look in Simon Cowell thread...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Black pudding (or blood pudding as you guys have been calling it) is something I grew up with everyone eating although I could never touch it myself. I've been told many times that its delicious but the smell of it is enough for me. Whenever I have an all day breakfast anywhere I always make sure they know not to put any on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Black pudding (or blood pudding as you guys have been calling it) is something I grew up with everyone eating although I could never touch it myself. I've been told many times that its delicious but the smell of it is enough for me. Whenever I have an all day breakfast anywhere I always make sure they know not to put any on mine.
    Me too! If I'm eating breakfast with my dad I give him my black pudding, he loves it. I have a friend who's a tiny little gorgeous thing and her favourite food is a roll with a slice of black pudding and a slice of haggis with brown sauce. There's no accounting for taste, eh??
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Vegemite should also be on this list....awful stuff.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information