Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 - Strangest food in the world

i had an opportunity to have balut... but could not do it... I was still trying to wrap my brain around the concept of Halo-halo...

but fell in love with Tanduay Rum - took several bottles back with me!!
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

the fried brain burger makes me cringe.

you wont see me eating any brain
    P.S. im a girl

Quote Originally Posted by frankie View Post
    the fried brain burger makes me cringe.

you wont see me eating any brain
    Pretty much any offal meat I would not want to eat. But the brain in particular, Andrew Zimmern seems to like it as he eat is often on his show. When he talked about it having the consistency of chocolate pudding, I almost gagged.

But the one food item that always makes me queasy when I watch it is anything based on blood. There was one Zimmern episode where he went to Africa and they were serving him fresh cow blood that had coagulated on the end of a stick, plus fresh cow blood with milk, etc.
    But anything blood based makes me

Any form of blood pudding:

Josh's Adventures in Sweden: Blood Pudding

IcelandReview - Online, Iceland News, Travel, Vacation, Culture, Hotels, Politics, Business

tiết canh (raw blood soup) - vietnam

The casu marzu also looks....um....interesting. I've seen this on Andrew Zimmern's show and I think that they also have a version of this in Central America.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Yeah, at some bar on the outskirts of Subic City. A couple of friends and I bet each other that we could eat one without barfing. No one barfed, but I ate two!
    Wow! I know of people who simply looked at balut and threw up their breakfast/lunch/dinner...what have you. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    i had an opportunity to have balut... but could not do it... I was still trying to wrap my brain around the concept of Halo-halo...

but fell in love with Tanduay Rum - took several bottles back with me!!
    I love Halo-Halo. It means mix-mix in Filipino. Basically, a mixture of shaved ice, syrupy-laden fruits/beans, sugar, purple ice cream called ube (oo-bay) and evaporated milk are thrown in together. My mom has her own version. It's soo good.
    Rock the fuck on!

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I had one fried baby octopus (dead one!) at a sushi place once and it was enough to turn me off anything with baby octopus forever - the entire thing, head and all, is used. It was an extremely unpleasant experience. I can't imagine eating one that's still trying to get away.
    I had baby octopus, but it was broiled and mixed with yellow rice. It wasn't that bad.

But the one food that I thought I would hate was deer meat, but a friend of mine made venison stew and it was probably the best stew I've ever had.
    Last edited by kingcap72; October 17th, 2009 at 11:47 PM.

I couldn't do the calves brains, but that's a fairly common dish in Tuscany, and parts of France as well.

Italians also eat a dish called Capozzelli di Angnelli, which is a lamb's head, served with the eyeballs and all (they're a delicacy), and the French do a version called Tête du Mouton, which is a sheep's head.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I loooooove baby octopus, ate a lot of that in Spain. Consistency-wise, they reminded me a lot of squid (calamari) and they were delicious grilled and served in garlic butter. I could eat those suckers all day long. I don't know if I'd like it as much if they were still alive and struggling but I'd try it.

Some lurvely pork brains, yum

Those things almost look like chitlins....something adventurous themselves. Dad made them every New Year's, with his hungover self.

fgg

all of those things make me want to puke. i'm surprised durian wasn't on the list:

Durian

Durian is an exotic fruit relished mostly in South East Asia. It is known as the 'king of the fruits' and is infamous for its contrasting attributes. It exhibits a stench resembling the stink of crushed garlic mixed with Mediterranean cheese and army socks. However, the foul odor masks a delicious, creamy textured fruit that pacifies the palate.

Another riveting Durian fruit fact is that there is no other fruit that is loved and hated so much by people at the same time. An example of this is in Singapore, where people hate it so much that the law prohibits passengers from boarding the Mass Rapid Transit line if they are carrying a Durian. On the other hand, Singapore also houses some of the Durian fanatics, which spearheaded the inspiration to build 'Esplanade 4', a high tech building in the city.

They had Balut on one of the seasons of Survivor. Can't recall which off the top of my head.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Casu Marzu
    Found in the city of Sardinia in Italy, casu marzu is a cheese that is home to live insect larvae. These larvae are deliberately added to the cheese to promote a level of fermentation that is close to decomposition, at which point the cheese’s fats are broken down. The tiny, translucent worms can jump up to half a foot if disturbed, which explains why some people prefer to brush off the insects before enjoying a spoonful of the pungent cheese.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    The casu marzu also looks....um....interesting. I've seen this on Andrew Zimmern's show and I think that they also have a version of this in Central America.
    Yea he fed it to two people at the restauarant where he was eating it. They were unaware of what it was until he showed them afterwards what they ate. What an ass.

If it were me I would have hurled all over his bald noggin.

So yes they do have a form of casu marzu in Latin America, I think it was Nicaragua Zimmern was in.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Yea he fed it to two people at the restauarant where he was eating it. They were unaware of what it was until he showed them afterwards what they ate. What an ass.

If it were me I would have hurled all over his bald noggin.

So yes they do have a form of casu marzu in Latin America, I think it was Nicaragua Zimmern was in.
    I'd love to see him get gut-punched by someone - I think his condescending attitude towards some of the foods he eats and cultural rituals he participates in is appalling. Bourdain has a more accommodating matter than him.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information