Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starbucks: too much growth hurting chain

Any one who's played Risk knows that if you do a big sweep, you leave yourself thinned out and weak for attack. Gotta say, glad McStarschmuck's is feeling the crunch, their coffee tastes like deisel fuel and their staff are snotty.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

You wouldn't know they were in trouble if you drove down one of the major streets on my end of town. There are literally six of them within a three mile radius.

And I love going there because it's the only place where the taste of my drink is always consistent. I've tried really hard to support the little guys in town, but I swear to God, their stuff tastes like shit. One out of twenty times I'll get something drinkable from a local place. But then the next time I go there and order the exact same drink, it tastes like motor sludge.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    So SB *was* using poorer quality stuff. It wasn't me imagining a change in taste?
    It's all of our best guesses. My personal opinion is that they didn't want to pay the good farmers as much money for the beans b/c they were cutting corners everywhere. I noticed a definite decline in the quality of the beans between the last time I worked for them and now and there are quite a few less different varieties now too. They probably couldn't find anyone in those countries willing to take less money than they deserved so they eliminated the variety from their line entirely.

Here in Vancouver, you could stand in front of one Starbucks and be able to see another in each direction. I think the relaxed sitters are sick of being crammed and rushed , and the commuters are sick of the long line ups. Did anyone else notice how the lineups got considerably longer with every new product they introduced?Personally, if I opened up a coffee shop, I'd keep it constant. If I wanted something new, I'd open up a new store that reflected those changes and catered to that demographic. It would be less confusing for both staff and clientele.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

NoDay,if you see this...

A little Off topic but..I love the iced green tea lattes.
    Any idea where i can get the powder they use,I can't find comparable.Thanks
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    I don't like their coffee at all - I just don't see the obession that people have with it.
    Couldn't agree more. I've never liked their coffee and only drink it when there is nothing else available, which isn't often fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryJane View Post
    I went to London a few months ago and I could NOT believe it, there was a Starbucks in EVERY. SINGLE. BLOCK. And they were all packed!
    Me and my friend went there for breakfast all of the 3 days we were in the city because we didn't want to feel uncool!
    In Italy we don't have Starbucks and they say never will, because our coffee is sacred!
    I hate that Starbucks crowds out the decent, family-owned coffeeshops and even the small chains that offer quality products, better service, and decent prices. Starbucks = overpriced, overrated and overdone. Sorry, NoDay.

I also find that the biggest assholes go to Starbucks as if the ability to spend $5 on a crap drink was some big status symbol. It just proves to me that you have no taste and are a loser to boot. And that goes double for all the "special" order folks, who are usually one and the same.

^
    guess i'm an a-hole.Just kidding Pb

I get coffee from anywhere,but they have a drink I especially like.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

^^No, you're not, but you know what I mean...I'm lucky that there are some good alternatives here. Real Italian coffee with milk prepared properly isn't so hot it burns your face off and it's quite a bit cheaper too. And it tastes incredibly good.

I've thought Starbucks coffee was far inferior to other coffeehouses for a while now. About 2 years. The dishwater comparison is spot on. When I lived in Barcelona last year, it tasted a bit better than what I remember in the states, but still inferior to other local coffeehouses. Here I hate the way Starbucks coffee tastes; all I ever get is lattes and my husband gets espressos.

I much prefer Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf or Peet's. When I can find them, that is. Unfortunately there are far more Starbucks than either of these competitors. :sadface:

I don't like their coffee either. It tastes like poop.

I prefer Peet's. Peet's is good. Or Dean & Deluca! Yum.

I like Second Cup here, although lately I've been going to an indie place near one of my classes. I haven't actually been to a Starbucks in quite a while (probably pre-all these changes) but when I have I've always gotten excellent service, and apparently when they're out of something you wanted, they'll give you something else for free (which I did not think they should have to do, but it was very appreciated). The coffee might not always be the best, but I've always found their baristas excellent (I've been a barista at an indie place before). It can get really crowded though.

Re: the asshole-customer thing, I find that it depends a bit on location. If it's on a corner with 3 other coffee shops, you might end up with the snobs choosing the Starbucks solely for the name status. But I find when it's the only coffee shop around for a while, or if it's contained within a bookstore, you just end up with normal people trying to get their coffee. So if I'm in a "coffee district" I tend to go elsewhere just because of that, and it tends to be quite good because of the competition, lol.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Gold Member

i go because of convenience, there's always one nearby

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information