Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Spicy foods : why do people like it?

A*O

The first time MrAO saw wasabi it was served in a little dish on a platter of sushi. He thought it was some kind of avocado dip so he piled it onto a piece of sushi and put it in his mouth..... This man can take HOT food but this defeated him LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Eating my sushi right now.. this wasabi is doing WONDERS for clearing up the residual congestion from the small cough I got this week.

Can one build up a tolerance for spicy food? We had Indian food tonight, so delicious, so spicy. I usually order chicken tikka masala but tonight I had Vindaloo and rice with Naan bread and that light green sauce.

Again, loved it, so delish. My sinuses are clear, but I'm mouth breathing as it all hasn't gone away yet. Does this mean I'm a masochist?

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    My husband is very picky about his chiles; the spicier, the better. He can easily bite into jalapeno, serrano, or habanero, and if it's not immediately spicy, he'll say it tastes like he's eating grass. He's the type that will be eating say, pork in chile verde (that I will make with jalapenos or serranos), and if it's not spicy enough for his tase, will still bite into another chili pepper, fresh or dried. I'm thinking of special ordering some scotch bonnet or "ghost pepper" plants to give to him as a gift:
    Once he's developed a tolerance for those, are you going to have to pepper spray him while he eats?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Once he's developed a tolerance for those, are you going to have to pepper spray him while he eats?

We had an argument this weekend, so I may have to pepper spray his ass anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The first time MrAO saw wasabi it was served in a little dish on a platter of sushi. He thought it was some kind of avocado dip so he piled it onto a piece of sushi and put it in his mouth..... This man can take HOT food but this defeated him LOL
    Reminds me of the story that someone sent into Merrick & Rosso's "Hello Australia!" segment when they had their Triple J radio show - they got people to send in stories of people doing funny things that just made you stop and say "only an Aussie would do/say that"

My favourite was the guy's story about his brother's wedding in Japan. All the Aussie family went over, including Uber Aussie Dad. Very traditional Japanese ceremony - very formal. Very long!

Dad started to get a bit hungry and eventually thought "oh stuff it - I'll just start eating. No one will notice!" He saw some green stuff on one of the plates of food in front of him and though "OK, must be some sort of vegetable thing" and whacked a marble-sized glob of wasabi into his mouth.

Now Aussie Dad is a true Australian who finds pepper a little spicy....

about 30 seconds after he's eaten it, he's sweating and crying etc... and then the family turn around to tell him it's time for his speech!

Apparently all the Japanese attendees were so touched by the Australian father who was so emotionally overwhelmed by his son's marriage that he couldn't even talk, he could only cry!

Spicy food is something I've warmed up to over time. I used to be very wary of it and hid behind my stomach issues (I have gastric reflux) as a convenient excuse to not eat rich or spicy food. But then I became friends with a bunch of Indian and Asian students at uni, and they gradually introduced me to curries and hotter food. Then I moved into a sharehouse where we ate nothing BUT curry. Seriously!

The boys in particular liked their curries hot, and me and other girl would often muse that the boys had "liquified our stomachs" with their food... but over time the boys toned it down a bit and we got used to it. Now I love spicy food.

Case in point: green curry made with Mae Gong curry paste. It's from Thailand - a real, proper Thai green curry! It is *amazing*. But fuck it's hot. It's cry while you eat hot, but it tastes so good that you just keep going past the burn and the sweat.... om nom nom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Can one build up a tolerance for spicy food?
    I would say yes. No scientific proof for this, but I certainly did and everyone I know who has gone from Anglo-Celtic meat + 3 veg bland food to multicultural, embracing the spice food at uni did as well.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Can one build up a tolerance for spicy food? We had Indian food tonight, so delicious, so spicy. I usually order chicken tikka masala but tonight I had Vindaloo and rice with Naan bread and that light green sauce.

Again, loved it, so delish. My sinuses are clear, but I'm mouth breathing as it all hasn't gone away yet. Does this mean I'm a masochist?
    Maybe not now...but tomorrow morning it's going to be the 'ring of fire' for you in the bathroom! I love spicy/ethnic food but there is definately a bit of a payback the next day. Also, ever notice the day after Indian food, your skin smells of curry?

No, that's never happened. Neither has the 'ring of fire' you refer to.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Maybe not now...but tomorrow morning it's going to be the 'ring of fire' for you in the bathroom! I love spicy/ethnic food but there is definately a bit of a payback the next day. Also, ever notice the day after Indian food, your skin smells of curry?
    Yep, that's happened to me. I think I read that it's because some pungent spices are excreted through your pores in sweat and oils. I guess it depends on the amount of spice ingested and the individual in question, I think some people's body chemistries metabolize it better.

This thread has me wanting to go to a Mexican restaurant now...*drool*

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    I will never touch habaneros again in my life.
    Pussy! You'll never make it through my homemade salsa. 2 whole (with seeds) habaneros go in. One week I'll love the habanero, next week I'll hate it. This week, I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    I had a very unpleasant incident with these suckers when I was in South Africa:

Tomato Growers Supply - huge selections of both hybrid tomato seeds and heirloom tomato seeds, hot chiles, sweet peppers, tomatillos and eggplants, plus garden supplies, garden books, and posters.

It was incredibly painful. I was just cutting them up and only touched them on the outside. Then I touched my face and it started swelling. The hand that held them was swollen and sore for three days! It felt like an injury and I didn't even eat them!

That shit wasn't funny.
    You only handle habaneros with gloves on.

I love food that's spicy. Being raised in Louisiana and then living in Texas when I got older, I've always had that spice and I love it. Food doesn't taste right without it. My mother makes chowchow for us and sends it all year long - chowchow (to us) is about 4 or 5 different kinds of pepper chopped and cooked down with onions and garlic and other spices and then canned. I typically only eat it in beans, but my youngest brother puts it on sandwiches like it's mayo! And crawfish ain't "right" unless you're eyes are watering and your nose is running!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    , but my youngest brother puts it on sandwiches like it's mayo!
    I do that too. A grilled cheese just isn't a grilled cheese until I've doctored it.

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information