Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spicy foods : why do people like it?

I love wasabi peas ... they are addictive but will remove a layer of skin from the inside of your mouth if you aren't careful. Because of my corn allergy, most decongestants are not an option for me ... but wasabi peas take care of any and all congestion very quickly (and have virtually no calories!)

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    I love wasabi peas ... they are addictive but will remove a layer of skin from the inside of your mouth if you aren't careful. Because of my corn allergy, most decongestants are not an option for me ... but wasabi peas take care of any and all congestion very quickly (and have virtually no calories!)
    Also try holding a peppermint in your mouth while drinking hot tea with honey.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Also try holding a peppermint in your mouth while drinking hot tea with honey.
    Excellent suggestion... i'm gonna give it a shot next time I have a cold! Thanks so much.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Horseradish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

My mom has always loved really hot, spicy peppers and growing up I felt the same way as some of you, I didn't see the point in eating it if it was so hot you couldn't taste anything. But the tastebuds and palate can really change and adapt over time as they get used to things and you build a tolerance.

Fast forward to now, I like everything really, extremely spicy. My thinking is it's got to hurt at least a little for me to like it. For example, I like to eat all the thai peppers and szechuan peppers you aren't supposed to eat, I ask for hot to very hot spiciness in Indian food, etc. It just burns so good.

I like jalapenos, really love crushed red pepper, and I like the milder ancho/poblano chiles too for their rich flavor. I can handle habaneros too although I find them to be just plain spicy with little flavor.

Tip: anytime you overdo the spiciness and your mouth is on fire, eat something with fat in it, like whole milk, yogurt, sour cream, butter, etc. Capsaicin, the substance that gives foods their heat, is fat soluble. That's why water usually doesn't really help. I've heard some people say sweet stuff helps wash the heat away too but I've never tried that.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Tip: anytime you overdo the spiciness and your mouth is on fire, eat something with fat in it, like whole milk, yogurt, sour cream, butter, etc. Capsaicin, the substance that gives foods their heat, is fat soluble. That's why water usually doesn't really help. I've heard some people say sweet stuff helps wash the heat away too but I've never tried that.
    Bee, you're right. Anything milk-based will help offset the fiery heat in your mouth. Water temporarily alleviates the heat but once the water goes down the back of your throat, the heat still continues. Spicy foods have oils and coats your mouth/tongue that's why water doesn't do a lot.
    Rock the fuck on!

My mom has always loved really hot, spicy peppers and growing up I felt the same way as some of you, I didn't see the point in eating it if it was so hot you couldn't taste anything. But the tastebuds and palate can really change and adapt over time as they get used to things and you build a tolerance.

Fast forward to now, I like everything really, extremely spicy. My thinking is it's got to hurt at least a little for me to like it. For example, I like to eat all the thai peppers and szechuan peppers you aren't supposed to eat, I ask for hot to very hot spiciness in Indian food, etc. It just burns so good.

I like jalapenos, really love crushed red pepper, and I like the milder ancho/poblano chiles too for their rich flavor. I can handle habaneros too although I find them to be just plain spicy with little flavor.

We need to get together for dinner sometime! I am on the same page as you! It's awesome eating super spicy stuff! LOVE IT

I think some people just tolerate it differently than others. I LOVE super spicy foods. I don't like having food sweats but that's only happened to me a couple of times. To put this into context, I can easily eat most hot peppers without water/milk etc.

I am intensely bored with underflavoured food that has been cooked, but I love raw veggies/fresh food that has been untouched.

My thought is that you have a certain comfort level and if it's uncomfortable, you probably are eating food that is overly spicy for your palette. If you're not enjoying it, don't eat it!

Quote Originally Posted by misskris View Post
    If you're not enjoying it, don't eat it!
    So simple but true.

Lynnie, you're on, we'll have a spicy chile fest at my house!

My husband is very picky about his chiles; the spicier, the better. He can easily bite into jalapeno, serrano, or habanero, and if it's not immediately spicy, he'll say it tastes like he's eating grass. He's the type that will be eating say, pork in chile verde (that I will make with jalapenos or serranos), and if it's not spicy enough for his tase, will still bite into another chili pepper, fresh or dried. I'm thinking of special ordering some scotch bonnet or "ghost pepper" plants to give to him as a gift:

scotch bonnet (related to habaneros)

ghost peppers (naga jolokia)

Here's where they rank on the Scoville index:

I forgot to mention wasabi!!! Love that stuff... I'd probably get kicked out of a proper sushi bar by the chef because I mix a ton of it up with soy sauce until it's basically brown goop and dip my sushi in it... apparently that's a no-no in traditional japanese dining etiquette. Wasabi peas are GREAT to sprinkle in salads... so much better for you than croutons and they add a little kick.

See those ghost peppers are what I call retarded-hot. It's practically just mace, I haven't tried them but I can't imagine them having any flavor, just pure fire. I'd try them just to try them but I'm not optimistic I'd like them.

Penny, my husband does the same thing with wasabi and soy sauce. I'll have to tell him it's an no-no, somehow he's been doing it under the impression it was traditional japanese dining etiquette. I think someone either taught him or he saw someone doing it?

I love hot & spicy food. Always have, always will. My stomach isn't always happy with hot & spicy food, but that's a small price to pay.

See those ghost peppers are what I call retarded-hot. It's practically just mace, I haven't tried them but I can't imagine them having any flavor, just pure fire. I'd try them just to try them but I'm not optimistic I'd like them.

Penny, my husband does the same thing with wasabi and soy sauce. I'll have to tell him it's an no-no, somehow he's been doing it under the impression it was traditional japanese dining etiquette. I think someone either taught him or he saw someone doing it?
    Yup.. I learned it from my dad. When he was in college he went to Japan with the Notre Dame band.. why Japan I don't know.. but anyways he fell in love with sushi. He saw some American tourists using this technique (right before THEY got smacked around by the chef) and adopted it (once he was safely back in the US ).. I've always kept that in mind for when the time comes for me to go to a chi-chi sushi place but for now my budget only allows me to go to the kind of places where no one really cares. Mmmm.. I think I'll have sushi tomorrow.

haha, this is making me want sushi right now. Yeah, we rarely go anywhere they'd sniff at improper etiquette either but even then I doubt my husband would give a shit!

Sometimes when I'm feeling masochistic I'll spread a good little gob of wasabi paste directly on my sushi and brace myself for the searing sensation in my nose.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information