Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Six Foods Making Americans FAT!

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    what? you mean "corn sugar"? those commercials say it is the same as regular sugar!

p.s. yogurt makes me gag.
    Yes it's sugar and "they" put it in foods where it has no business being, eg, bread and because it's not cane sugar they can fudge the food labels and say "sugar free". Farmers are given huge subsidies to grow corn and there's always a glut so they make it into cheap HFCS which the food processors use wherever then can. It's creeping into Aussie food too.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I agree with A*O, but I don't think it's exactly an imminent health hazard or anything. Here are some interesting facts from the Wikipedia entry:
    1. Cane sugar and beet sugar are both relatively pure sucrose. While glucose and fructose, which are the two components of HFCS, are monosaccharides, sucrose is a disaccharide composed of glucose and fructose linked together with a relatively weak glycosidic bond. The fact that sucrose, glucose and fructose are unique, distinct molecules complicates the comparison between cane sugar, beet sugar and HFCS.
    2. Sucrose has approximately four kilocalories (kcal)—or four calories of food energy—per gram, while HFCS has approximately three kcal per gram. This is because HFCS contains roughly 25% water.
    3. A system of sugar tariffs and sugar quotas imposed in 1977 in the United States significantly increased the cost of imported sugar and U.S. producers sought cheaper sources. High-fructose corn syrup, derived from corn, is more economical because the domestic U.S. and Canadian prices of sugar are twice the global price[26] and the price of corn is kept low through government subsidies paid to growers.[27][28]
    4. The average American consumed approximately 37.8 lb (17.1 kg) of HFCS in 2008, versus 46.7 lb (21.2 kg) of sucrose.

A*O

It's not an imminent health hazard as such but I prefer to add sugar to my food if necessary rather than have it put there for me.
    Dame Edna Everage

czb

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I agree with A*O, but I don't think it's exactly an imminent health hazard or anything. . . .
    i'm not a nutritionist (maybe if there is one here they can weigh in) but the way i understand it, people now think that there is an issue with HFCS not because of the extra calories, but because the body does not metabolize it efficiently. apparently the molecule doesn't mimic ones found in any other natural foods so the body just stores it as fat. again, i am not a nutritionist so if i'm botching the explanation please don't flame me.

You're pretty much correct czb. We've discussed this before, here's a recent thread where people posted links to the actual studies Mohandas.

The corn sugar industry is straight up lying when they say HFCS is no different than regular sugar. Lying LIARS! (It's what I yell at the tv every time I see those corn sugar commercials come on.)

czb

^^^ thanks for the link, bee.

i know what you mean about that corn industry commercial. crazy.

And they've known all that about HFCS for a while, I learned it in college 10 years ago.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    And they've known all that about HFCS for a while, I learned it in college 10 years ago.
    not surprised at all. ugh

A*O

There's no proof (yet) but I am absolutely convinced that the explosion in the use of HFCS hidden in virtually everything has a direct correlation with the explosion of type 2 diabetes in the US.
    Dame Edna Everage

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Of course I've checked, I read all my food labels. Like Sput said - plain stonyfield yogurt has low sugar. I primarily eat greek plain yogurt- Fage 8g of sugar. I add my own fruit.

I don't eat sugar free anything, I feel there's nothing wrong with a little real sugar. I feel there's nothing wrong with a little real anything. But I don't use artificial sweeteners. I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. I'd even eat the ice cream bar you mentioned, as long it was made with real ingredients and not full of chemicals.

I don't eat solely organic, but I'm of a Mediterranean background and was raised eating fresh foods, with as little artificial crap in it as possible.

I hardly ever see the plain stoneyfield. I mostly see the flavored ones that are fat free with 32grams of evaporated cane juice

I like the Greek yogurt too. I know milk has natural sugar, but 32grams in a yogurt is too much. So lets say 11 is lactose from the milk, then 22grams of added sugar is supposed to be good for you?

I have been eating equal since high school and I am still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's not an imminent health hazard as such but I prefer to add sugar to my food if necessary rather than have it put there for me.
    I agree with that. In fact, it drives me crazy to see the unnecessary amounts of sugar, HFCS, sodium, and fat added to things like soups, microwave meals, cereals, and everything else. I especially don't understand why salt and sugar are added AT THE SAME TIME to everything. It's almost a vicious circle because a lot of people will sweeten something to make it taste less salty, or vice versa.

The corn sweetener thing seems to be yet another issue (like Ethanol) where lobbyist representing corn farmers have a lot of sway. Especially because tariffs raise the cost of sugar in the United States, and make HFCS appealing as an alternative. I would even bet that corn lobbyists are adamantly against normalized relations with Cuba, considering how much cheap cane sugar would start flooding into the U.S. if that ever happened.

Beeyotch, I will check out your links....

Quote Originally Posted by SunShine23 View Post
    I hardly ever see the plain stoneyfield. I mostly see the flavored ones that are fat free with 32grams of evaporated cane juice

I like the Greek yogurt too. I know milk has natural sugar, but 32grams in a yogurt is too much. So lets say 11 is lactose from the milk, then 22grams of added sugar is supposed to be good for you?

I have been eating equal since high school and I am still alive.
    And again, I don't eat fruit flavored yogurt, so it's could have 100 g and it wouldn't matter to me. I just don't think a little sugar is unhealthy. It's definitely healthier than a chemical whipped up in a lab *shrugs* I don't think it's coincedental that people are getting fatter while eating all sorts of enginereed foods.

Besides, I went to the Stoney website, and with the exception of the chocolate flavour, the sugar content seems to be in low 20's:

Organic Yogurts - 6oz Low Fat Fruit on the Bottom Blueberry

Organic Yogurts - 6oz Low Fat Fruit on the Bottom Peach

Organic Yogurts - 6oz Fat Free Fruit on the Bottom Strawberry

I'd feed that to someone before I'd feed them a typical American yogurt full of HFCS or an artificial sweetener.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; January 10th, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I'm more in shock that people from the US (I'm assuming some of you are American) are using grams as measurements. Metric system FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I'm more in shock that people from the US (I'm assuming some of you are American) are using grams as measurements. Metric system FTW!
    It's kind of schizophrenic. I think the reason is that the imperial system's equivalent of grams is "drachms" (about two grams)

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

im fucking pissed; been on a protein diet for a week, working out like never before (upped my cardio intensity and length in time and more weight in my weight-training) and i gained a damn pound! look bloated too, although i am about to get my friend, its just frustrating.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information