Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Six Foods Making Americans FAT!

^I've seen lactose free regular yogurt at Whole Foods
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^I've seen lactose free regular yogurt at Whole Foods
    I guess the Greek yogurt market hasn't reached enough critical mass to start spinning off lactose-free versions. I wonder how difficult it is to process out lactose anyway. Or if it tastes different. Why not take it out of everything dairy?

Is the main difference with plain Greek yogurt (vs. other plain) that it is strained? Which concentrates milk solids and raises the protein level?

Mainly rhetorical questions....

As far as food safety goes, ground beef is the devil. I refuse to eat hamburgers, tacos, etc. It's just not worth it, and I don't like beef enough to grind my own anyway. However, I've been assuming that the ground bison we buy to make marinara sauce is free-range or at least not cross-contaminated. I should probably look into it, since increased availability probably equals factory farming. Shit fire.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I'm lactose intolerant and i can eat yogurt just fine.. the lactose is supposed to already be broken down by enzymes from the bacterial culture, you shouldn't be affected by it
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I'm lactose intolerant and i can eat yogurt just fine.. the lactose is supposed to already be broken down by enzymes from the bacterial culture, you shouldn't be affected by it
    Hey, that's pretty cool. Thanks for the information.

i think it depends on the severity of the intolerance. most intolerant people can eat yoghurt without any problems but some people can't even have that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It's claimed (by Greek yogurt manufacturers) that Greek yogurt has less lactose because of the straining.

I'm lactose intolerant but can eat yogurt with no problem. I tend to get Fage, Chobani (both Greek-style), or anything from Trader Joes. I didn't even know they made yogurt with artificial sweeteners until a few months ago. I tried a bite of one by mistake and it was disgusting beyond belief. Soupy, like pudding, and toxic-tasting.

I'm a huge fan of the Greek Yogurt. I used the plain for sauces and dressings now instead of mayo, sour cream and other such creamy stuff which is usually horribly fattening. It has such a smooth mellow flavor, that no one ever notices it's yogurt. I LOVE the honey vanilla stuff too. I add tons of cinnamon to it, stir it in, let it sit in the fridge overnight and man oh man what a fabulous breakfast. I also mix a bit of canned pumpkin goo to it on occasion. Very healthy imo!

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I usually buy the plain, but add a little honey. I've never thought about adding cinnamon, though. That sounds great.

I though too that yogurt should be fine but my doctor forbade it. I'm having some serious intestinal issues and I'm not allowed any yogurt or milk (not even products with milk in them, eg milk chocolate), no green veggies unless they are cooked, no green fruit (ugh and I love green apples!) and no sweeteners. Luckily cheese and butter is ok otherwise I would have trouble finding things to eat.

I haven't seen lactose free yogurt anywhere here but milk with reduced lactose is available. I don't really miss it that much that I would go for those versions.

Try yogurt with honey, walnuts and cinnamon WhoAmI. It's heavenly!

A*O

What's making Americans fat is (a) HFCS and (b) the MASSIVE portions they consider "normal".
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Try yogurt with honey, walnuts and cinnamon WhoAmI. It's heavenly!
    Thanks! I will try that. It might be a little too delicious, though! I'll have to make sure I don't eat more than one serving by using the "But, it's healthy--the calories don't count!" justification.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    And if it's not American beef with e. coli, it's British shopping bags:

Bags for life could have E.coli - Telegraph
    written by an alarmist.

Bacteria May Grow In Reusable Grocery Bags, But Don't Fret

June 25, 2010
    by Whitney Blair Wyckoff

Bacteria may be hanging out in those reusable grocery bags that have become awfully popular lately. But don't panic.

Yes, a study funded by the American Chemistry Council, which by the way represents some disposable plastic bag makers, found there might be microbes hitchhiking in your reusable bags. But a few germs aren't likely to pose much of a health risk.

Academic researchers recently tested 84 reusable grocery bags from shoppers in California and Arizona: More than half the bags contained some sort of coliform bacteria, a category that includes Escherichia coli.

University of Arizona microbiologist Charles Gerba, lead author of the report, tells Shots the findings don't suggest there's going to be an outbreak of disease from the bags.

Instead, the plastics industry-sponsored work, which found 97 percent of the people interviewed never washed their bags, concludes the public should be educated about keeping them clean.

For what it's worth, the report came out just as California considers a statewide ban on plastic bags.

Dr. Susan Fernyak, director of San Francisco’s Communicable Disease and Control Prevention division, tells Shots, "Your average healthy person is not going to get sick from the bacteria that were listed."

The report says researchers found E. coli in seven of the bags tested. But Fernyak says the study doesn't identify the type of E. coli in the bags, a significant shortcoming. Most strains of E. coli are harmless, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

San Francisco banned disposable plastic shopping bags three years ago. San Francisco's bag ban hasn't affected the rates of E. coli infection in town, Fernyak says.

She doubts the strains in bags would be the kind that would make someone sick. "I think important points and information was presented in a way that is somewhat misleading," she says of the report.

Contamination can happen with any surface that touches meat, like a counter top, she says. "There's nothing special about these bags than anything else that can become contaminated," she says.

But she adds that researchers would probably find a certain percentage of the population wasn't cleaning cutting boards properly. She says reusable bags are safe, but washing the bags isn't a bad idea.

Update: We talked with a spokeswoman from the American Chemistry Council who said plastic makers also produce the resin used in most reusable bags. "We don't try to discourage reusable bag use," she said.
    Bacteria May Grow In Reusable Grocery Bags, But Don't Fret : Shots - Health News Blog : NPR

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

they can be washed ya' know

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    What's making Americans fat is (a) HFCS and (b) the MASSIVE portions they consider "normal".
    what? you mean "corn sugar"? those commercials say it is the same as regular sugar!

p.s. yogurt makes me gag.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information