Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Six Foods Making Americans FAT!

you're totally right, wcg. yk, i think homemade or stonyfield farms when i think yogurt. i forget about the crap like yoplait & go-gurt & trix yogurt...damn hfcs!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I have to admit, until I saw this article, I used to wonder "what's the big deal about Greek-style yogurt?" However, this night, I was in BJ's and they had cases of 6-ounce-serving Greek-style yogurt. The yield was about 15 grams of protein. That is about twice the amount of protein in regular yogurt (around 6 or 7 grams). And the sugar is much lower. So, all in all, it's definitely a healthier yogurt recipe. But very expensive. Even in a warehouse store like BJ's, you are paying about 90 cents per 6-ounce portion. Out here you can typically pay 50 cents for a 6-ounce portion of regular, fruit-on-the bottom yogurt.

^ Yes but you can get healthy regular yogurt even if the protien is lower than greek style. I really like greek yogurt and eat it daily, but not everyone likes the taste. The price is comparable to organic yogurt, about $1 per serving.

I stick to Stonyfield Farms, Brown Cow or Cascade for regular yogurt. Most mass produced yogurt is crap, full of artificial stuff. Dannon, Columbo, Yoplait, etc. It's junk.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I understand where you are coming from, Witchcurlgirl, but I'm not much of a yogurt person any more. And if I eat it at all, it's going to be sugary fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt, like the kind I first had about 35 years ago.

In that case have a chocolate bar. Good chocolate is much better for you than bad yogurt.

But fruit on the bottom yogurt filled with crap is definitely one of the things that makes people fat. ( Not you of course ) They just see the word yogurt and assume it's good for you.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    In that case have a chocolate bar. Good chocolate is much better for you than bad yogurt.

But fruit on the bottom yogurt filled with crap is definitely one of the things that makes people fat. ( Not you of course ) They just see the word yogurt and assume it's good for you.
    One of the most embarassing conversations I've had about nutrition was about 10 years ago with a coworker who was drinking a big can of coke. I think I had been teasing him about it. Then, he turns around and says, "Hey, how many grams of sugar are in your yogurt?" I looked and saw that there were about 39 grams of sugar in my yogurt and only about 36 in his coke. I was kind of shocked. About the only advantage my yogurt had over his coke was some protein.

reading labels does wonders for your food choices! I started when I did daycare for a boy with autism, who was on the gluten/casein free diet. Very effective eye-opener on lots of foods that are advertised as good for us.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

I'm always appalled every time I see TV commercials for yogurts targetting children : they somehow manage to convince the parents that they are actually good for their children's healths, when they're filled with sugar, chemicals and god knows what, don't even contain a satisfaying portion of milk or fruit ... it's appalling !
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I read this on my Yahoo home page as well. It's by one of the guys who wrote "Eat This, Not That" (probably an excerpt from the book, if I'm guessing)

I just watched "Food, Inc" on Sunday. If you have Netflix you can rent it or if you have Netflix on demand you can watch it on there. Very interesting, & eye-opening. It's the same guy who co-authored "Eat This, Not That" as well (which I want to get).

I really want to eat better this coming year because I want to lose weight, plus I'm just sick of putting manufactured chemicals in my body...who knows what the long-term effects are!

We were talking about this at work the other day. We were discussing US vs UK food "law" where it pertains to the animals themselves. A lot more (like hormones, growth hormones, antibiotics, etc) seems to be allowed into the US food chain that isn't allowed under UK law. Knowing that there are UK foods that I won't eat, I'm not surprised that people write books/films/articles like this.
    Free Charmed.

Thankfully in Canada, we follow the Brits in regards to a lot of food laws. No hormones in dairy or beef cows (or weird antibiotics).

One thing I've noticed about the states is that compared to Canada, the food quality is SO much lower. Everything tastes like awful cafeteria food, I find it hard to get a good meal anywhere. I'm not talking fast food joints either, I'm talking sit down restaurants where decent food should be served... it's not. It's this barely passable slop. Bleh.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ yeah and its sick. sick sick sick! all that shit injected into our "food"

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Thankfully in Canada, we follow the Brits in regards to a lot of food laws. No hormones in dairy or beef cows (or weird antibiotics).

One thing I've noticed about the states is that compared to Canada, the food quality is SO much lower. Everything tastes like awful cafeteria food, I find it hard to get a good meal anywhere. I'm not talking fast food joints either, I'm talking sit down restaurants where decent food should be served... it's not. It's this barely passable slop. Bleh.
    In all honesty, outside of the possibility of some basic difference in food preparation, it's all the same food. For example, the United States imports a LOT of Canadian beef (after it was determined that the Canadian beef was no longer likely to be infected with BSE). The United States also imports poultry, pork, and other meat, cheese, fruit, and vegetable products from around the world. Presumably, all of this stuff is in the general mix of products that are used by restaurants.

So, it's probably bad American cooking in general. However, you also don't hear too many rich people bragging about having a personal Canadian chef.

czb

[quote=witchcurlgirl;2322849. . . I stick to Stonyfield Farms, Brown Cow or Cascade for regular yogurt. Most mass produced yogurt is crap, full of artificial stuff. Dannon, Columbo, Yoplait, etc. It's junk.[/quote]

i didn't know they marketed brown cow on the east coast. is that recent? i only buy nancy's, brown cow, or clover (local dairy). i'm not keen on stonyfield but it is definitely better than dannon.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    In all honesty, outside of the possibility of some basic difference in food preparation, it's all the same food. For example, the United States imports a LOT of Canadian beef (after it was determined that the Canadian beef was no longer likely to be infected with BSE). The United States also imports poultry, pork, and other meat, cheese, fruit, and vegetable products from around the world. Presumably, all of this stuff is in the general mix of products that are used by restaurants.
    . . . .
    i see what you are saying, but novice and grimmlok are right, the UK/Can health authorities do not allow rGH but i'm not sure if that also applied to food for export.

and grim, if you go to places like friday's or cheesecake factory, yeah, the food quality may not be great, but we have so many non-chain restaurants where the food quality is awesome! and not all are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i didn't know they marketed brown cow on the east coast. is that recent? i only buy nancy's, brown cow, or clover (local dairy). i'm not keen on stonyfield but it is definitely better than dannon.

No, I've been eating Brown Cow since I was a kid (late 70's). I used to love the cream top, now it's too rich for me. I think it was originally an upstate NY brand before going west. Since they were bought by Stonyfield I see the Stonyfield label much more, but you still see the Brown Cow here sometimes, it depends on the store. Dannon owns both of them now.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; December 30th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information