Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Should I get an Instant Pot?

For me the big difference between the IP and a regular pressure cooker is that you can set it to delay start and to keep your food warm when it is done, so I can turn it on and go run errands without worrying about being there when the cook is complete. It's so forgiving and flexible.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    ^^Do you have a recipe? I would love to try that.
    i used this one from the hungry bluebird but tweaked it a little bit. i used regular pad thai noodles, not the kind she uses that require soaking (mine just cook in boiling water for 4-5 minutes).
    i didn't have whole coriander seeds so i used ground coriander seeds and looked up equivalencies (1tbsp whole seeds = 3/4 tbsp ground), also i browned the chicken in a separate pan before adding it to the instant pot, i find it gives the broth a deeper flavour, and you get rid of a lot of the fat before, which means less work skimming it off the top of the soup after. also, i used organic, low sodium chicken broth instead of water, which also gives you a stronger broth. i also didn't have rock sugar so i just used sugar. i buy muscovado sugar not because it's healthier (it's not) but because it tastes like sugar cane/molasses but really, you can use plain white sugar and it won't make a difference. the key with this broth is all the spices.

for garnish, i had bean sprouts, more cilantro, basil and mint. but i also love to add bok choi so i cut that up in sticks and threw that in there as well.

Instant Pot Pho Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup)

Pho Ga, classic Vietnamese chicken noodle soup made easy in the pressure cooker. Authentic tasting pho at home, as good as your favorite Vietnamese restaurant.

CourseInstant Pot, Soup
    CuisineVietnamese
    KeywordInstant Pot pho ga, chicken pho, Vietnamese chicken noodle soup

Prep Time15 minutes
    Cook Time30 minutes
    Total Time45 minutes

Servings6
    AuthorKelly ~ the hungry bluebird
    Ingredients

• 1 tbsp canola oil
    • 1 large onion, peeled and halved
    • 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled, thickly sliced and bruised
    • 3 whole cloves
    • 1 tbsp coriander seeds
    • 1 star anise pod
    • 1 tsp fennel seeds
    • 1 1-inch piece cinnamon stick
    • 1 cardamom pod, lightly smashed
    • 6 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on (can use 6-8, depending on size)
    • 8 cups water
    • 1 small fuji apple, peeled, diced
    • ½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
    • 2 tbsp fish sauce
    • 1 tbsp rock sugar (or rock candy)
    • 1 tbsp kosher salt
    • 1 pkg (14-oz.) Bahn Pho flat rice stick noodles
    • For serving: Sriracha sauce, sambal oelek, hoisin sauce, bean sprouts, fresh herbs like Thai basil, cilantro and/or mint, jalapeno slices, lime wedges

Instructions

• Prepare pho noodles. Place in large bowl and cover with boiling water for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to loosen up. Set aside.
    • Heat oil in insert in Instant Pot on sauté setting until hot. Add halved onions and ginger, cut side down, and cook without moving, until well charred, about 5 minutes. Add spices (cloves, coriander, star anise, fennel, cinnamon stick and cardamom) and cook 1 more minute until fragrant. Turn off sauté function.
    • Add water to the pot and then carefully add the chicken, diced apple, chopped cilantro, fish sauce, rock sugar and salt. Seal the pressure cooker and cook at high pressure for 15 minutes.
    • When done, turn off Instant Pot and let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, release any remaining pressure manually and carefully open lid. Remove chicken thighs to plate and cool slightly.
    • Pour broth into cheesecloth-lined strainer (or fine mesh strainer) into a clean pot, discard solids. Skim any scum and some fat, if necessary, leaving some surface fat on the broth. Bring to a steady simmer on the stove. Taste for seasonings, adding more salt, pepper and/or fish sauce, if needed.
    • Remove skin from chicken and meat from bones, shred. Prepare soup bowls; put a serving of strained noodles in bottom of each bowl, top with some chicken, then ladle hot broth over top. Serve immediately with condiments, letting each person choose toppings as they wish. Happy slurping!

Notes

• I like to use chicken thighs, but you can also use a whole chicken, no larger than 4 pounds and reduce the amount of water to 7 cups. Be sure to stay under the maximum fill line on the pot. Shred desired amount of chicken and save the rest for another use, or leftovers.
    • I have not had to skim fat from the broth, if you have an excessive amount, then skim some of it off. But you want surface droplets of chicken fat on the broth, so don't get rid of all of it.
    • I find soaking the rice noodles in boiling water (for 30 - 45 minutes) to work just fine but you could follow package instructions, or soak and then cook noodles for just a couple of minutes. Be careful, boil too long and they become gummy!

Novice and Waterslide like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^Sweet Jesus. That surpasses my 5 ingredient rule! Bwhahaha!
    sputnik likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

^^^^
    it's a lot of spices but very little work and trust me, it is worth it. that broth is insane.
    you don't even have to slice the onion, just cut it in two and char it face down, and the ginger is also very roughly sliced. and the rest of the spices just get tossed in there too.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

For those of you who have used it for dry beans, do they cook a lot faster? Even a quick soak takes at least an hour and then you have to simmer them for another 3 hours or so.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

^^ Yes, for dried beans, its awesome. Im guessing a half hour, not counting pressure time.

by the time I buy all those spices, it's probably just cheaper for me to buy a restaurant pho! lol
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Yeah, but I'm a huge pho lover so its worth it to me to have them all on hand, especially because I make other Asian-ish dishes as well. Like last night, I was home alone and threw together an asian-flavored coconut milk based broth and put some cheap frozen dumplings in it and it ended up tasting like a soup that could have come out of a restaurant and I can't wait to get home to the leftovers.

actually, thanks for the reminder. I meant to right down the "recipe" that I came up with so I can add it to my recipe book.
    sputnik likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I realized I bought an Insta Pot for my Mom years ago and she never even opened the box so I'm reacquiring it forthwith. I'm actually excited to try it out but since I'm never home at actual dinner time I don't know when I'll get to play with it. I also want to try that pho recipe no matter what I use to make it.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Yeah i make a ton of Asian or Asian inspired dishes, it’s basically my staple cuisine, so I already had most of those except for the cardamom pods and cloves which I got from whole foods.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    For those of you who have used it for dry beans, do they cook a lot faster? Even a quick soak takes at least an hour and then you have to simmer them for another 3 hours or so.
    yes. i've only made black beans in the instant pot and i didn't even soak them before and i cooked them for around 25 minutes at high pressure and then let the steam release naturally. overall it's probably about an hour but it's an hour during which you don't have to do anything except wait for your beans to be done.
    Last edited by sputnik; January 23rd, 2019 at 02:29 PM.
    Waterslide likes this.

I finally used my pot today. I made a 2.5 pound frozen chuck roast into a succulent dinner in 75 minutes. Complete with a yummy gravy with mushrooms and onions. It was so easy and fast. Wow!

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

A stove-top pressure cooker blew up in the kitchen when I was a kid so I've banished them from my household.

This instant Pot is intriguing, yet it still feels like a bomb, that's actually ticking. I have a rice cooker though that I absolutely love, so I might convince myself - I hate standing in the kitchen for hours, keeping an eye on the food.

The thing is, the Instant Pot has safety features the old pressure cookers never had. A pressure cooker blew up in my great-grandmother's house when i was around 4, so i feel your pain.
    Geest and Waterslide like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

geest, we never had one when i was growing up either because my aunt's pressure cooker story was like a family cautionary tale against them. she made beans and they blew up and she was basically scrubbing them from her kitchen walls and ceiling for days.
    the instant pot won't start if it's not locked properly so you're good.

i've made this recipe a couple of times. it's delicious and easy and has so much flavour.
    https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...icken-and-rice

i omit the sugar and i add more curry (i think i did two tablesppons) and in addition to the turmeric i also add ground coriander, fennel seeds and a pinch of cinnamon. i made it at my sister's and she didn't have ground coriander so i used a bit of cumin instead and it came out great. you can also add a half cup more water (or broth) and make two cups of rice if you're feeding more people. i also quickly sautéed some mushrooms and zucchini on the stovetop while the pressure was releasing on the rice in the instant pot and added that in for some veggies at the end. served that with a big green salad and it was a great dinner.

also, Nom Nom Paleo is fast becoming one of my favourite sources of healthy and delicious instant pot recipes. also, if you're avoiding gluten and sugar, she's got amazing recipes so you can make your own version of store bought sauces that are often loaded with both, like teriyaki .

https://nomnompaleo.com/
    Waterslide and KrisNine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I'm reacquiring it forthwith.
    her loss!
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    since I'm never home at actual dinner time I don't know when I'll get to play with it.
    You don't have to be home at a particular time. You can program it with a delay and it can keep stuff warm for you. Whenever you get home, food will be there.
    sputnik and Waterslide like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    she was basically scrubbing them from her kitchen walls and ceiling for days
    Yep, same story, only with meat. Tiny meat pieces were found in every crack for weeks. Plus when the lid flew off it demolished the overhead grill oven.
    I will look into getting one, sound so much safer and the idea of being able to make pho fast at home... Yummy!!
    Waterslide likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information