Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: The scary-ass 'dips' on Pinterest?

Let us know if anything tastes decent!
    WhateverLolaWants likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by Bombshell View Post
    Ask and you shall receive. Though I don't get the feeling this one tastes like heaven. But it hits all your required notes. Cooks.com - Recipe - Broccoli/Cheese Dip

BROCCOLI/CHEESE DIP
    2 pkgs. frozen chopped broccoli
    1 lg. onion
    1 c. butter
    2 cans mushroom soup
    2 rolls garlic cheese, sliced
    1 (8 oz.) can mushroom pieces
    1 c. slivered almonds
    1 bag large Fritos

Cook broccoli. Drain. Saute chopped onion in butter. Add mushroom soup and sliced cheese. Simmer until cheese is melted. Add mushroom pieces and almonds. Serve with large Dip Size Fritos.

Blerg. Why does the broccoli need to be frozen and the mushrooms canned? And I can't figure out what a "roll of garlic cheese" is? It's stuff like this...
    Bombshell likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

The broccoli dip doesn't really sound that good to me, especially with Fritos.

I sort of collect and definitely read a lot of vintage cookbooks, which is why I'm familiar with a lot of these strange foods. I was starting to wonder why all of this seems so oddly familiar. If I'm not mistaken a roll of garlic cheese is a soft processed cheese (like a soft velveeta) that has garlic flavoring. I've seen a lot of recipes with it, but I can't recall ever eating it and I don't even know how hard it is to buy it anymore.

I think a lot of these recipes are old and come from a time when it was very chic to eat canned and processed foods. It sort of made a statement that you could afford the luxury of a store-bought item. If someone just had to eat something like this, I'd think you could make it by mixing regular cheddar cheese and garlic in a food processor and get the same use out of it.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

yeah that shit was all the rage in the 50s and 60s. my mom has told me stories about how canned peas were at luxury when she was little - the rest of the time they had to 'settle' for fresh peas lol
    also, aspic was totally fancy and so was using mayonnaise in all kinds of 'creative' ways like even in desserts - she remembers being fed banana slices smothered in mayonnaise and served in little dessert coupes with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry on top, and she totally thought she was the fanciest, luckiest kid on earth.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Oh lord that is DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a dip but I was recently looking for meal ideas and came upon the glory that is Tater Tot Casserole.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

My grandmother still serves a 'salad' of apples, cherries and mandarin oranges mixed with mayonnaise. I feel so bad because I know she loves it, but it makes me want to gag just smelling it.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    It may not be healthy, but I don't understand what's gross about it? It's not any stranger than mixing fruit and yogurt?
    Where I come from there is a big difference between yogurt and sour cream. I can handle yogurt and fruit, but sour cream and fruit? And marshmallows? I call gross.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Greek yogurt reminds me a lot of sour cream.

Growing up I remember sharing an after school snack with my grandpa when he came home from work-sliced bananas and sour cream. I'd never make it for myself now, but it's a very distinct bit of happy nostalgia for me. Don't know where that habit of his came from, but I loved it at the time.
    Just Kill Me likes this.

That's like me and 'devil meat' pita sandwiches. They were something I ate with my favorite (Bachelor, at the time) uncle as a kid
    Just Kill Me and I'mNotBitter like this.
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    yeah that shit was all the rage in the 50s and 60s. my mom has told me stories about how canned peas were at luxury when she was little - the rest of the time they had to 'settle' for fresh peas lol
    also, aspic was totally fancy and so was using mayonnaise in all kinds of 'creative' ways like even in desserts - she remembers being fed banana slices smothered in mayonnaise and served in little dessert coupes with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry on top, and she totally thought she was the fanciest, luckiest kid on earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    My grandmother still serves a 'salad' of apples, cherries and mandarin oranges mixed with mayonnaise. I feel so bad because I know she loves it, but it makes me want to gag just smelling it.
    It's funny how much that stuff fell so far out of fashion in just the matter of a couple of generations. It's also interesting how different people perceive that mayo should be used now as opposed to then. You hardly ever see a dessert with mayo in it.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Where I come from there is a big difference between yogurt and sour cream. I can handle yogurt and fruit, but sour cream and fruit? And marshmallows? I call gross.
    True, I'll give you the marshmallows are strange, but they break down and get sort of gooey which I like. I guess the way I look at it is that sour cream and yogurt are both fermented dairy products and both kind of taste funky to me in their own ways. Yogurt is less fattening and is healthier, but those are the only differences to me. Tons of desserts have sour cream in them, I've used it in frostings, cakes, cheesecakes, etc.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

It's funny how much that stuff fell so far out of fashion in just the matter of a couple of generations. It's also interesting how different people perceive that mayo should be used now as opposed to then. You hardly ever see a dessert with mayo in it.

True, I'll give you the marshmallows are strange, but they break down and get sort of gooey which I like. I guess the way I look at it is that sour cream and yogurt are both fermented dairy products and both kind of taste funky to me in their own ways. Yogurt is less fattening and is healthier, but those are the only differences to me. Tons of desserts have sour cream in them, I've used it in frostings, cakes, cheesecakes, etc.
    Creme fraiche would probably be awesome in these types of things. I'll be honest, I don't mind ambrosia but I can't quite bring myself to make it. I'm always secretly sort of happy when I see that someone has made it for a potluck or family get-together (usually only happens when the older generation is around). And I hate untoasted marshmallows normally, but I guess I like them in both ambrosia and that peanut butter fudgey stuff.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Creme fraiche would probably be awesome in these types of things. I'll be honest, I don't mind ambrosia but I can't quite bring myself to make it. I'm always secretly sort of happy when I see that someone has made it for a potluck or family get-together (usually only happens when the older generation is around). And I hate untoasted marshmallows normally, but I guess I like them in both ambrosia and that peanut butter fudgey stuff.
    I love creme fraiche! I honestly don't make ambrosia myself either. I don't know why. It always seems like I'm lucky enough that someone else had made it for a party or barbecue. Though after talking about it this much, I'm tempted to make it or buy some...the power of suggestion is strong. lol

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    the glory that is Tater Tot Casserole.
    have you been perusing the duggar's website again???

Duggar's Tater Tot Casserole - Duggar Recipes - The Duggar Family
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

The broccoli dip doesn't really sound that good to me, especially with Fritos.
    Yes, nothing says "DEE-lishus food pairing" to me more than the thought of almond slivers and Fritos.

Speaking of vintage cookbooks, my frugal librarian Aunt gave me a cookbook for my wedding that was a self published spiral bound book by someone she didn't even know, full of recipes found in the kitchen of an 85 year old lady by her children when she passed away. Most of the recipes are obviously from the 50's and 60's, focusing on what was then new to the market "wonderfully easy" processed foods.

While I've never (and would never) make anything out of it, it's great for a read for shock value and a giggle. Lots of Jell-o molds containing things like corned beef and peas, all things full of sodium, and classic vintage apps like the old cream cheese wrapped pickle covered in bad deli ham and sliced.

Sadly, my Aunt did not give it to me as a kitschy joke, which I really would have appreciated. She was quite genuine in her gift, from a kitchen of a women she'd never met or heard of. It was so bad that when I went to write the thank you note to her I had to call my Dad, who suggested "Thank you so much for the thoughtful cookbook. It's delightful. I'd love to know how you knew Mrs. Author, and what is YOUR favorite recipe?". Which is almost word for word what I wrote.

Yes, she didn't have to give me anything, and I appreciate that she did. And sometimes I'll pull it out to read from it to my husband just for fun in a dramatic Richard Burton sort of way.
    Just Kill Me and I'mNotBitter like this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Oh man, I would love to get my hands on something like that. What a great anthropology project!

I have one my aunts made for my Grandmother, but its not nearly so full of gems. Grandmother is/was from a long line of 'from scratch' cooks so she did a lot of steering away from prepackaged stuff. There is one for pineapple upside down cake, though, that is basically, "Get package of pinapple upside down cake mix and follow the instructions on the back," lol!
    Do it anyway

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information