Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: The scary-ass 'dips' on Pinterest?

fgg

^oink oink!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    And that's another thing unique to America (as far as I know) - why do you guys call the main course the entree? The word entree should be enough to make you twig that it's probably supposed to come FIRST - but of course this causes more confusion for foreigners like me who order an entree and a main and get stared at by wait staff as if I have 2 heads.
    I love this post. First for its "omgwhatthefuck is wrong with you people" tone. Second, for it's use of the word twig. And lastly, because faithanne is obviously right and I never thought of it once in my entire American life.
    Waterslide and faithanne like this.

And that's another thing unique to America (as far as I know) - why do you guys call the main course the entree? The word entree should be enough to make you twig that it's probably supposed to come FIRST - but of course this causes more confusion for foreigners like me who order an entree and a main and get stared at by wait staff as if I have 2 heads.
    That is a good question. I really didn't know why we started saying that, so I looked it up. The best answer I could find was that Americans did use the term somewhat properly until the 19th century when an an entree came to mean a large meat course served after the soup and fish courses (according to service a la russe). Eventually, people stopped eating meals in courses, but the word entree stuck for the "main" meat dish, but could also means the main dish in a vegetarian meal as well. I agree that is confusing and strange. Why we do it and it's not like that in the rest of the English-speaking world, I'm not sure. I guess Canada minus Quebec is the same way. I blame the new money robber barons.

This article is good if you're interested.
    The Language of Food: Entrée
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Sorry, I can't edit my post. I was going to add that I normally don't use the word entree, but thought that would be a good universal word to mean main course, but I guess I could have said main course then. lol Entree reminds me of airplane food and TV dinners for some reason.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

I remember being confused by this the first time I watched Hells Kitchen with Gordon Ramsay.

My ex husband used to take the piss out of me for my confusion over American dining habits. I also found it weird that all the recipes his mum and granny made either involved crunched up crackers or Campbell's condensed soup. Weeeeird.

What i did love though is that broccoli is served with everything. I bet there's some sort of brocolli cracker soup dip that tastes like heaven.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Yeah, the Campbell's condensed soup gets to me after a while too, but I admit I like eating some stuff with it every now and again kind of like a guilty pleasure. Like green bean casserole, which is the bestest thing ever and you have to use canned soup for that. There are a couple of people I know who must own stock in Campbell's though, I start to think they must open at least two cans of the stuff per meal. Uh, you can get a similar effect with a little bit of cream and some flour and butter and it's probably healthier (though fattening). And it finds its way into everything - vegetables, meatloaf, casseroles, pasta, chicken pot pie - just everything. I'm sure there's a cream of mushroom chocolate cake recipe out there somewhere - and, no, I don't want to try it nor do I condone it.
    ~Manx Mouse

We eat marshmallow salad (we call it 'Ambrosia') every year as part of our Thanksgiving feast. It's made with a cup each of miniature marshmallows, sour cream, pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, and coconut.
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    We eat marshmallow salad (we call it 'Ambrosia') every year as part of our Thanksgiving feast. It's made with a cup each of miniature marshmallows, sour cream, pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, and coconut.
    Yep, I love that stuff. And you're right it's Ambrosia, not Hawaiian salad (which is what I called it).
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    What i did love though is that broccoli is served with everything. I bet there's some sort of brocolli cracker soup dip that tastes like heaven.
    Ask and you shall receive. Though I don't get the feeling this one tastes like heaven. But it hits all your required notes. Cooks.com - Recipe - Broccoli/Cheese Dip

BROCCOLI/CHEESE DIP
    2 pkgs. frozen chopped broccoli
    1 lg. onion
    1 c. butter
    2 cans mushroom soup
    2 rolls garlic cheese, sliced
    1 (8 oz.) can mushroom pieces
    1 c. slivered almonds
    1 bag large Fritos

Cook broccoli. Drain. Saute chopped onion in butter. Add mushroom soup and sliced cheese. Simmer until cheese is melted. Add mushroom pieces and almonds. Serve with large Dip Size Fritos.

Karistiona likes this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Buffalo Chicken Dip. You'll thank me when eating it.

Original recipe makes 5 cups

2 (10 ounce) cans chunk chicken, drained

2(8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened

1 cup Ranch dressing

3/4 cup pepper sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot®)

1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

1 bunch celery, cleaned and cut into 4 inch pieces (optional)

1 (8 ounce) box chicken-flavored crackers (or you can use tortilla chips)

Directions

1.Heat chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat, until heated through. Stir in cream cheese and ranch dressing. Cook, stirring until well blended and warm. Mix in half of the shredded cheese, and transfer the mixture to a slow cooker. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, cover, and cook on Low setting until hot and bubbly. Serve with celery sticks and crackers.

You can also halve this recipe pretty easily.
    Thanks again for the recipe, louisw! I made it on New Years Day and everyone loved it. I baked a chicken breast and used blue cheese instead of ranch dressing because I forgot I didn't have a new bottle of ranch, but I did go get the Chicken in a Biskits. I love those things.
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I think I'm going to give up food now.
    twitchy2.0 and I'mNotBitter like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I love Ambrosia once a year, normally on the 4th. It may not be healthy, but I don't understand what's gross about it? It's not any stranger than mixing fruit and yogurt?
    southernbelle likes this.
    ~Manx Mouse

I'm having a nacho party this weekend and inviting people to bring a 'scary pinterest dip'. We shall see

I'm being boring and making queso with gruyere
    Waterslide and southernbelle like this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

That sounds like fun! I'd love to hear what Scary Pinterest Dips get brought along.
    WhateverLolaWants likes this.
    ~Manx Mouse

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information