Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: The scary-ass 'dips' on Pinterest?

*shrugs* I don't know what to tell you. I've had many friends who are vegetarians and I don't see them randomly ordering veggie sandwiches at regular restaurants, in fact I'm the only person I know who eats them. I don't see them on the menu at average sit down restaurants, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I buy lettuce wraps with no meat at Jimmy John's and I see vegetarian tacos and burritos, but not an actual sandwich with a green salad on it.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Don't you have sandwich shops? I'm sure I ordered a sandwich to take away in NYC, maybe it was a deli. You wouldn't normally order a sandwich in a restaurant here, that's more cafe lunch food. I guess a cafe is our equivalent of a diner.

And to add to the confusion, if you ordered a veggie sandwich you'd get something like grilled eggplant, zucchini, sweet potato, maybe capsicum and pesto. Or possibly roast pumpkin and potato if they had hot food. Mostly they'd look at you strangely and ask what the hell you're talking about.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

NYC and the surrounding area has great delis/sandwich shops, but I don't see many where I live except for chain restaurants. There are a few, but not many. You can get things like turkey clubs, tuna salad, chicken breast and that sort of thing at a diner or a "family restaurant" (what you guys would call a cafe I'm thinking), it's usually served with fries or potato chips or fresh fruit.

I agree if you get veggie sandwiches, they're things like grilled eggplant or zucchini - or I was going to say portobello mushrooms on a bun. I can't think of any place that puts a salad of uncooked greens, carrots, peppers, etc. on a sandwich, not even the chain places I mentioned. It's mostly lettuce, tomato and onion, possibly cucumber. I know any place around me would look at you like you were insane if you asked for a salad sandwich. It's not that most places wouldn't eventually try to make it for you after looking at you strangely, but I can't imagine it being listed on the menu.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Sorry Lola for hijacking your dips thread. The salad thing always had me curious ever since someone (Hustle maybe?) posted a picture of some gelatinous monstrosity over in OS's jello mold thread and called it a salad and I never understood until I read the link posted in this thread.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Please, that is a liberal and bastardized interpretation of the word "salad" and I say this as an American. Nobody actually thinks of anything in jello as a common salad. More like abomination. Chicken salad, tuna salad, the "salad" part's just part of the name that doesn't really make sense, like many other things in the American language. And I say that as someone who learned American English as a second language at 5 yrs old.

Beeyotch, thank you, that's what I was trying to say about salad, but I don't think I explained myself well. It's just one of those silly words with different meanings. Sometimes it means all kinds of things mixed together.

So I still wanna know more about this buffalo chicken dip and where I can find a recipe for that!

So far on Pinterest, I'm seeing churros with chocolate dip, hot crawfish dip (yum!), spinach bacon and onion dip...I'm looking for the crazy stuff. LOL Well, here's one I'm not too sure about.

Beer Dip

Ranch dressing mix flavors this fast-to-fix mixture thatís packed with shredded cheese. ďThis thick dip is made to go with pretzels,Ē assures Michelle Long of New Castle, Colorado. ďItís one of those snacks that when you start eating it, you canít stop! This dip can be made with any type of beer, including nonalcoholic beer. Iíve taken it to many parties and am always asked for the recipe.Ē

28 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 5 min.

Ingredients

• 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
    • 1/3 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
    • 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
    • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
    • Pretzels

Directions

• In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, beer and dressing mix until
    • smooth. Stir in cheddar cheese. Serve with pretzels. Yield: 3-1/2
    • cups.

© Taste of Home 2012

Beer Dip Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

~Manx Mouse

I'm so confused! Are these dips like I would eat dips, ie a wee tub of sour cream and chive dip to have with crisps and doritos and things?
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

^ I think so, yes. Or maybe something just a wee bit heftier, like a big pita chip, but same idea. With the sweet ones, I guess you could dip fruit or a sweet pita chip?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    I'm so confused! Are these dips like I would eat dips, ie a wee tub of sour cream and chive dip to have with crisps and doritos and things?
    Yep, it's pretty much the same only they're served hot instead of cold. You dip potato chips or tortilla chips or crackers or veggies in it. The gross sweet dips usually use fruit, but the person who did the red velvet one baked little cookies to go with it.
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    . One was made up of bananas, leaf lettuce, popcorn and mayonnaise. Another one is gelatin, unsweetened pineapple juice, orange juice, 4 cups grated carrots, crushed pineapples, lettuce and green peppers served with mayonnaise.
    I feel queasy.
    Brookie likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I don't feel so great myself. lol Thankfully, there are no pictures of those salads.
    ~Manx Mouse

Bananas, Lettuce, Popcorn and Mayonnaise? Sounds, uh, tasty.

Except not.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

It sounds like the contents of Mr Creosote's bucket on Monty Python's the Meaning of Life. Just wash it down with a half dozen bottles of Chateau Latour 1945.
    TheFarSide and faithanne like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    It sounds like the contents of Mr Creosote's bucket on Monty Python's the Meaning of Life. Just wash it down with a half dozen bottles of Chateau Latour 1945.
    I laughed my ass off at this annnd... then I liked it. Don't hate me.

Good fucking Lord Americans are strange. Also..bacon caramel sauce..why, and with what?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information