Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: The scary-ass 'dips' on Pinterest?

Oh yeah, I was just referring to the savory items above as casseroles

As for the Marshmallow whipped cream stuff, I was once eating at a party with hubbys grandmother and she had some jello on her plate and said to me, in all seriousness, "I think of jello as a salad."

My first thought was to respond, "Really? I think of pudding as a salad."
    Waterslide likes this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Buffalo Chicken Dip is like crack. I make it a whole meal! lol

there is also a buffalso chicken casserole on Pinterest that is also awesome. Basic components of the dip but miz with frozen has browns and bake. But I eat anything that's buffalo chicken.
    southernbelle likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

^That's me too with the buffalo chicken. Mmmm.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Salad to me should contain vegetables, preferably leafy green ones, along with other stuff, the only sweet salad being fruit salad. I had problems ordering sandwiches in the US because I'd ask for a salad roll and they'd say "tuna or chicken?" and I'd be like "no just regular salad, you know like lettuce, carrot..." and my Aussie expat friend would be laughing saying "they don't know what you're talking about". I guess I'm lucky I didn't end up with whipped mousse and chocolate chips on 2 slices of wholemeal.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Oh yeah, I was just referring to the savory items above as casseroles

As for the Marshmallow whipped cream stuff, I was once eating at a party with hubbys grandmother and she had some jello on her plate and said to me, in all seriousness, "I think of jello as a salad."

My first thought was to respond, "Really? I think of pudding as a salad."
    That's funny about the Jell-O. They used to stick anything they could in there. I don't know how people could stand it.

At the tail end of the 19th century (in the United States) the domestic science/home economics movement took hold. Proponnents of this new science were obsessed with control. They considered tossed plates of mixed greens "messy" and eschewed them in favor of "orderly presentations." Salad items were painstakenly separated, organized, and presented. Molded gelatin (Jell-O et al) salads proliferated because they offered maximum control.
    "Salad greens, which did have to be served raw and crisp, demanded more complicated measures. The object of scientific salad making was to subdue the raw greens until they bore as little resemblance as possible to their natural state. If a plain green salad was called for, the experts tried to avoid simply letting a disorganized pile of leaves drop messily onto the plate...This arduous approach to salad making became an identifying feature of cooking-school cookery and the signature of a refined household...American salads traditionally had been a matter of fresh greens, chicken, or lobster, but during the decades at the turn of the century, when urban and suburban middle class was beginning to define itself, salads proliferated magnificently in number and variety until they incorporated nearly every kind of food except bread and pastry...Salads that were nothing but a heap of raw ingredients in dissaray plainly lacked cultivation, and the cooking experts developed a number of ingenious ways to wrap them up...The tidiest and most thorough way to package a salad was to mold in in gelatin."
    ---Perfection Salad: Women and Cooking at the Turn of the Century, Laura Shapiro [North Point Press:New York] 1986 (p. 96-99) [NOTE: If you are interested in the subject of American salad, this book is excellent. Your librarian can help you find a copy.]
    The Food Timeline: history notes--salad

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Salad to me should contain vegetables, preferably leafy green ones, along with other stuff, the only sweet salad being fruit salad. I had problems ordering sandwiches in the US because I'd ask for a salad roll and they'd say "tuna or chicken?" and I'd be like "no just regular salad, you know like lettuce, carrot..." and my Aussie expat friend would be laughing saying "they don't know what you're talking about". I guess I'm lucky I didn't end up with whipped mousse and chocolate chips on 2 slices of wholemeal.
    LOL Well, they have veggie subs at Subway, but then you have to eat at Subway. I do love all vegetable sandwiches though, but you never really see them anywhere. I think Americans are entirely to blame for sweet salads, but I'm laying the chocolate sandwiches at France's feet.

I did once see someone make an ice cream sandwich on two pieces of whole wheat bread, which was interesting to say the least.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

So I guess us Aussies are uncultivated with our messy salad greens in disarray. This is another case where a word has taken on the exact opposite meaning!

No kidding! I just went read that link about the word salad and it actually comes from the word "sal" for salted food and way back in Roman days it referred to vegetables. As far as I can tell, it continued to mean that until Americans got a hold of it. I have a couple of cookbooks with old salad recipes and they're crazy. One was made up of bananas, leaf lettuce, popcorn and mayonnaise. Another one is gelatin, unsweetened pineapple juice, orange juice, 4 cups grated carrots, crushed pineapples, lettuce and green peppers served with mayonnaise.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    As far as I can tell, it continued to mean that until Americans got a hold of it.
    And still does everywhere else in the world! I eat salads from all over - Greek salad, taboulli, fattoush - and none of them have gelatine. I live on salad, especially in summer. If you ask for a salad sandwich anywhere in Australia you'll get the standard fresh tomato, lettuce, cucumber, onion, grated carrot and maybe beetroot, fresh mushrooms or capsicums. Again, no gelatine.

Yeah, it's an American peculiarity from the 20s and 30s. I don't think anyone in the US presently thinks of gelatin salads as salad and I don't think anyone eats them anymore. I doubt most people even know they used to use gelatin in savory salads. (And the only time I see the sweet marshmallow salads is the 4th of July, but maybe some people eat those all the time?) I have a lot of old cookbooks and I see those strange salads listed, but again I can't imagine anyone eating them now. I don't know why they decided to latch onto the word salad the way they did, but for the most part the word's gone back to its original meaning. If you asked for a salad here, you'd more than likely get a garden salad (what you described) with some dressing and that's it.

And it's true, salad sandwiches are nearly unheard of at most restaurants. I used to make them myself at home though, either just as a regular sandwich or grilled to make the bread crunchy.
    ~Manx Mouse

Well, you say 'veggie sandwich' and sometimes they'll have an option
    Waterslide likes this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Snickers salad, anyone?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Well, you say 'veggie sandwich' and sometimes they'll have an option
    I remember when Denny's had a veggie melt, those things were so good. When they took it off the menu, I asked about it and they said they'd make them for you if you asked. I have no idea if you can still get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    That sounds kind of good, actually. It could turn you into a diabetic in one spoonful, but it does sound good for dessert. I laughed about the 9 year old turning her nose up at it, but I can't figure out why the mom was surprised that the daughter knew salads were made out of vegetables. Don't kids know that from the time they can talk?
    Last edited by Waterslide; December 15th, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
    ~Manx Mouse

fgg

i'm not sure where you guys have been in the states but you can get a veggie sandwich pretty much anywhere.

snickers salad sounds absolutely disgusting. it isn't passable just because you add apples.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I'm sure you can get veggie sandwiches at smaller restaurants or bistros, but I don't think you can walk into a run of the mill diner or family restaurant and find a veggie sandwich listed on the menu. It's usually more like you have to ask for something with meat on it, and then ask them to make it without, and then they look at you like you grew horns. They make it a pain in the ass for no reason.
    ~Manx Mouse

fgg

well, i haven't eaten meat in almost 15 years and i've never had an issue.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information