Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it rude to ask for condiments (Tabasco, Ketchup, etc.) at restaurants?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    chef's are so damned sensitive! that's why i like going to "restaurants" where they ask me "do you want ketchup with that" at the window when I'm pulling through. Nobody's feelings get hurt and everybody is satisfied...
    Could you imagine the guy at the drive thru giving you a death stare for asking for ketchup??? That would be hilarious!
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

You could wear condiments like a Jackson Pollock if you returned something from my kitchen too

i don't want to sound like a horrible snob but IMO people that put ketchup (or people that put hot sauce or mustard or any other condiment) on everything, not just junk food, don't know how to appreciate food. that or they eat crappy food that needs condiments to cover up the bad flavours.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i don't want to sound like a horrible snob but IMO people that put ketchup (or people that put hot sauce or mustard or any other condiment) on everything, not just junk food, don't know how to appreciate food. that or they eat crappy food that needs condiments to cover up the bad flavours.
    that or they just like ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    You could wear condiments like a Jackson Pollock if you returned something from my kitchen too

I would never return something from your kitchen OR ask for condiments, Soth. Not all chefs are as talented as you, though.....
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by WitchHazelEyed View Post
    How do you know they just didn't forget to mention that they wanted it to begin with?
    Its called a menu

It has a description of the food that the people that you dont see cook.

Sometimes they use words.

Or pictures.

The person that wants the food asks the waiter what they would like to eat.

And how they would like their order if its not to their liking in said picture (ffs) or prose

That is how a chef knows whether they do or do not like the idea of what they do or do not want - since they are stuck in the arsehole of the establishment dealing with dickheads that think they are psychic

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    that or they just like ketchup.
    yeah but kids are like that. with age you outgrow the need to have something you love with each and every meal.
    i don't know. again, maybe it's cultural but to me it's like drinking milk or coffee with any meal other than breakfast. you just don't do that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Its called a menu

Or pictures.

And how they would like their order if its not to their liking in said picture (ffs) or prose

That is how a chef knows whether they do or do not like the idea of what they do or do not want - since they are stuck in the arsehole of the establishment dealing with dickheads that think they are psychic
    No need to condescend. Occasionally, I forget to ask for no tomatoes or no onions when I order things. I don't send it back, I just pick them off or around them. Good to know people think I'm a blithering moron for forgetting to mention though.

I'll put on whatever I want on my food. I drown most of my food in Tabasco or cayenne pepper. I also snicker at people who have an opinion about the way I eat.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Ive found lately that kids are the best food critics and I'm using them as more of a barometer for trying out new recipes - I smothered strawberrys in roma tomato pure and balsamic..figs and parma ham (roasted on the webber with a hint of hickory)and my niece wouldnt eat anything else for 3 days)

I was so proud

^^^
    mmm that sounds delish

I think its all relative. When I eat at Chilis or TGIFridays, then I don't think its even slightly inappropriate to ask for condiments. When we go out to nicer places, then I wouldn't dream of doing so, I figure the chef better know how to produce nice food without the use of all the condiments. I always taste the food first anyway to see if its to my liking. Most of the time my preferences lean towards seafood, so to ask for ketchup would seem a bit strange! I do like ketchup but only in limited quantities and with certain foods (like french fries) so it seems not really be an issue in my case. I will however ask for more lemon or more melted butter sometimes. But thats about it. I think condiments should enhance your food, not cover it.

But I also wouldn't dream of looking negatively at those who ask for condiments, its their prerogative. I'm just a food snob for myself, I guess!
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Its called a menu

Or pictures.

If I'm at a place that has a menu with pictures on it, I don't think it too insulting to ask for ketchup. Also, I don't ask the chef for diddly, the waitress can run her ass over and get the ketchup and nobody has to be the wiser.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by WitchHazelEyed View Post
    No need to condescend. Occasionally, I forget to ask for no tomatoes or no onions when I order things. I don't send it back, I just pick them off or around them. Good to know people think I'm a blithering moron for forgetting to mention though.
    Not condescending to you - That was more the general malaise of any gastronomic sensibility in the general public or in the greater scheme of things, the sense of what the public cant see means shit all.

Anyone that has worked in a comercial kitchen knows that it is a thankless job.

Because as a tucker fucker and never dealing with the "covers" there is a mutual indifference

I think the chef should be worried about cooking, and not how I am eating my food.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information