Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it rude to ask for condiments (Tabasco, Ketchup, etc.) at restaurants?

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    Never question the ceaser salad dressing.

It could be a "family secret"
    why did you have to go there? I doused a salad this morning with Ceaser's for my lunch.. yes I like my salads soggy sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    How in the worldl is ketchup trashy? I have heard it all now. haha

I will ask for it if I want it, and I always want it. It does annoy my husband, but oh well. What's the point in eating a meal if it isn't exactly how you want it?
    My ex was the same way. He thinks ketchup is for covering bad flavor. However, I have a 9 year old who needs ketchup on everything from scrambled eggs to ham sandwiches .. I always ask for it for him and chef's feelings be damned, it's my money and if the boy wants ketchup in his mac and cheese (even if I find it disgusting), he gets it!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

maybe it's cultural or something but i was brought up being told that ketchup is for hamburgers and hot dogs and fries ('junk food', home made or not), and maybe scrambled eggs. that's it.
    you don't put ketchup on 'real' food. and you don't ask for it in 'real' restaurants.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Honestly, I don't eat condiments much at all on anything. I've never sent food back, I tip well, and always comment positively on my food if it is even remotely good. All of this means that if I happen to decide, after tasting, that I want some trashy ketchup I'd better not get any looks because someone will be getting no tip and no repeat visits.

Maybe Britney should start her life again by starting her own ketchup line......
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

I put ketchup on everything, not to hide the flavor but to enhance. I just like it. I don't care about the chefs feelings either. Shit on the chef and his feelings. I can cook my ass off and I still use ketchup on my food so it's going on his too.

Anyone that has the audacity to ask for extras is implying that the food was not to their liking or palate.

Now theres the rub (sput, that was for you) If you ask for condiments as you order that shows a preference that wont be changed on first taste, and there will be no changing a single minded palate.

If you taste, and then ask for condiments, then the belief is that the meal could be tweaked to the cust's preference...and thats a wack upside the head for the chef if it wasnt mentioned previously.

If said peon asks after a taste, and does'nt return it for a chefs surprise.

Dont ever come back

Why are we supposed to care about some random chefs feelings? I could care less. I care more about me being satisfied with my meal.

Speaking OT - Yes ^ fucking customers

Are you a chef, Soth?
    I want to be one so badly. haha

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    maybe it's cultural or something but i was brought up being told that ketchup is for hamburgers and hot dogs and fries ('junk food', home made or not), and maybe scrambled eggs. that's it.
    you don't put ketchup on 'real' food. and you don't ask for it in 'real' restaurants.
    Yeah, I'm the same. I remember once when I was I was a teen my mum ripping me a new one when I wanted ketchup for my fries in a taverna, which is hardly upscale. I grated some feta over them instead, it was quite tasty.

And really, I do consider a chef's feelings if the food is excellent. If I'm having a fillet with a truffle sauce, I wouldn't dream of defiling perfection with cheap, mass-produced stuff.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

thanks for the rub
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I am hunny bun. Hence the sweet demenour and ability to take criticism.

I'm only part time now so I've mellowed quite a bit.

I dont like advertising it normally especially in the food threads, the material is just too subjective.

I am hunny bun. Hence the sweet demenour and ability to take criticism.

I'm only part time now so I've mellowed quite a bit.

I dont like advertising it normally especially in the food threads, the material is just too subjective.
    How exciting. I would love to have a high end place of my own.
    I would never used ketchup if I ate at your place.

Anyone that has the audacity to ask for extras is implying that the food was not to their liking or palate.

Now theres the rub (sput, that was for you) If you ask for condiments as you order that shows a preference that wont be changed on first taste, and there will be no changing a single minded palate.

If you taste, and then ask for condiments, then the belief is that the meal could be tweaked to the cust's preference...and thats a wack upside the head for the chef if it wasnt mentioned previously.

If said peon asks after a taste, and does'nt return it for a chefs surprise.

Dont ever come back
    How do you know they just didn't forget to mention that they wanted it to begin with?
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

I remember being a kid and my grandmother taking me out somewhere very nice in the city and I wanted tomato sauce ( ketchup) and she quietly gave me the Granny Death Stare of Doom and told me not to be a peasant.

I've always kept my request of ketchup to places that don't employ real chefs, just places like diners -- places that do french fries and similar. Nowhere that I can offend.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

chef's are so damned sensitive! that's why i like going to "restaurants" where they ask me "do you want ketchup with that" at the window when I'm pulling through. Nobody's feelings get hurt and everybody is satisfied...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information