Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it rude to ask for condiments (Tabasco, Ketchup, etc.) at restaurants?

A lot of people pile on the ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper and tabasco without even tasting the food first to see if it actually needs extra seasoning. I used to do it too until a friend pointed out that it was actually an insult to the chef. After that, I started tasting the food first and found that I cut my condiment use by about half. That said, my friends call me the queen of condiments because my fridge is packed with them. But I've never liked ketchup, even when I was kid my tastes ran to spicier fare.

^ Some days are more self gratifying than others.

As a customer I would say that it depends on the meal. Breakfast for example should allow the customer no guilt in asking for whatever condiment they want for anything from the menu. Lunch would allow a medium variation of requests, if the dish is non - specific ( a bread + filling based dish generally) if its not to order. But a specific dish , ie one that lists the ingredients in an elaborate manner, should not allow a customer the temerity of requesting anything more than cracked pepper. Evening meals should follow the same rule, unless its egg based, or replacing a condiment that was originally mentioned in the order ( it would be considered rude to have both)

And the chef will do unmentionable things to the food if you question these basic rules and send the meal back

Really, I didn't know you were a chef, Soth!

Unmentionable things, you say? Good thing I've never been a bitch to a chef. Really, who would though, knowing they're preparing your food?? Not smart at all.

wow, see, i didnt know any of those tips. if i ever get to somewhere without a drivethru, i'll def remember them. thanks PB and Soth
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Bee, The unmentionables would make you never want to eat out again.

The only ones that seem to get pissy about meals that were fine are guys trying to impress their dates (usually Professionals with 19 year old women that arent their wives), or the wives when they are out with the husband.

I'd never defile a Soth-made meal by asking for extra seasoning... it would probably be orgasmically spicy itself

Never question the ceaser salad dressing.

It could be a "family secret"

Asking for ketchup and mustard is fine at a fast food or barbecue place, but I do think it's out of place in upper scale restaurants.

It just doesn't go-I don't mind asking for extra grated Parmesan when I have pasta or soy sauce when I'm having Chinese or Japanese, but I wouldn't blame them if they gave me a perplexed look if I asked for ketchup.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

A*O

I don't see the point in ordering a subtle, delicate dish and then slathering it with Heinz. It kinda defeats the whole object?

I know there are assholes out there who make a special point of sending back food, and more often 'corked' wine, because they are blowhards who like to show off how sofisticayted they are innit. And yes, it's usually middle aged sleazoids taking their "neice" out to dinner. The wine thing is quite funny because these days a lot of wine comes in a screw top bottle (a godsend IMO) yet these wankers still make a fuss about the wine being 'corked'.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    because they are blowhards who like to show off how sofisticayted they are innit. And yes, it's usually middle aged sleazoids taking their "neice" out to dinner.

call me a snob but unless you're having a hamburger, fries or a hotdog, or maybe scrambled eggs, you don't ask for ketchup. or unless you're at a diner or fast food place. oh, and mustard if you're having roast beef or something.
    but i would never ask for ketchup in a real restaurant, even if your food comes with french fries. but then i don't put ketchup on anything other than hamburgers and hotdogs so it's never been a problem. this is probably snobby but asking for ketchup at a nice restaurant just screams griswald family to me.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

Slightly OT but this reminds me of the famous occasion when we went to a smart reception where they were serving sushi as canapes. MrAO saw a small dish of wasabi (that searingly hot green Japanese horseradish stuff) and thought it was some kind of avocado dip so he picked up a piece of sushi and scooped up half the wasabi and put the whole lot in his mouth........ I leave you to imagine the consequences (and this man can eat spicy stuff no worries). I really thought we'd have to call the ambos LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Slightly OT but this reminds me of the famous occasion when we went to a smart reception where they were serving sushi as canapes. MrAO saw a small dish of wasabi (that searingly hot green Japanese horseradish stuff) and thought it was some kind of avocado dip so he picked up a piece of sushi and scooped up half the wasabi and put the whole lot in his mouth........ I leave you to imagine the consequences (and this man can eat spicy stuff no worries). I really thought we'd have to call the ambos LOL
    Ha ha i can imagine his face after taking a mouthfull of that stuff...

Ha, poor MrA*O. Wasabi is just lethal.

Oddly enough, even though I can't stand hot foods like anything seasoned with black pepper or chillies, I don't mind Wasabi. It's a whole different sensation, and I've built up a relatively high tolerance. Wouldn't dream of just dipping anything in it though!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

How in the worldl is ketchup trashy? I have heard it all now. haha

I will ask for it if I want it, and I always want it. It does annoy my husband, but oh well. What's the point in eating a meal if it isn't exactly how you want it?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information