Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a restaurant

God, is Alpenhaus still there? I used to eat there when I was a student in Montreal way too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    God, is Alpenhaus still there? I used to eat there when I was a student in Montreal way too long ago.
    Yep Alpenhaus is still there
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Me n hubby are planning on going out for desert tonight. Anyone from Van know a good place?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

There's a place, or there used to be but I think it's still there, called Sweet Obsessions at Trafalgar and 16th on the west side. You could probably find something closer to home, but I don't know the West End that well. Sen5es at Georgia and Howe is really good, but I'm pretty sure they're not open at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Okay so my recommends are:

In Ottawa:

Best desserts: Oh So Good on Murray St. They have really great cake.
    mmm i love that place. i went to uni in ottawa and it was the best place for cake... are they still in the house with the fortune teller?

in ottawa i also recommend the black tomato. great food and the restaurant is absolutely beautiful.

lol. i used to spend a lot of weekends in montreal (it's really the only thing to do when living in ottawa) and also went to the alpenhaus regularly.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus!

Batel Grill... of course, nobody know what or where it is, but I'm recommending it anyway because it's too damn good.

There's a place, or there used to be but I think it's still there, called Sweet Obsessions at Trafalgar and 16th on the west side. You could probably find something closer to home, but I don't know the West End that well. Sen5es at Georgia and Howe is really good, but I'm pretty sure they're not open at night.
    Yea we were going out for a late night snack but most places were closed! Vancouver is Funcouver alright... And it was Friday night for god's sake...(we left home around 10 pm). But it's good that stores and restaurants close early...conserve energy.
    Passed by True Confections but it was packed and had a lineup outside. I'm not sure if I like their cakes though, they are HUGE and you get so sick of it cuz they are so rich and big. We used to have Death By Chocolate on Denman but it shut down, it turned into a furniture store now.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

No, I don't like True Confections either. I'm not a huge dessert person, but I do go for the top-notch stuff if I have it. Le Crocodile downtown has incredible desserts, but I'm not sure if it's the kind of restaurant where you can just go and have dessert. Their profiteroles are to die for, and I don't really like chocolate all that much as a rule.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; February 3rd, 2007 at 09:54 PM.

I've always wanted to try Le Crocodile! Maybe I'll get hubby to take me there for Valentine's or something.

I'd make a reservation RIGHT NOW, then. It's expensive, but oh so good. And they give big portions, too.

Well, Calgary isn't known for it's fantastic cuisine or anything, but I can recommend some of my favorite joints:

Fast Food: It's gotta be Peter's Drive In on 16th Avenue for the milkshakes. I recommend the pineapple shake. Peters' Drive-In

Deli: Spolumbo's in Inglewood makes some great sandwiches. Vegetarians beware, it's all about the meat at this deli owned and operated by former football players. GOURMET SAUSAGES AND ITALIAN SANDWICHES - SPOLUMBO'S FINE FOODS & DELI

Breakfast Joint: Nelly's Restaurant. No one even comes close. Hubby and I go there at least once a week. Homey atmosphere, great service, and an omelet to die for. Several locations throughout Calgary. I couldn't find a link, sorry.

Dining: We love the River Cafe in Prince's Island Park. Lots of wild game and fish, organic locally grown produce and a menu that changes every few weeks or so. Excellent wine list and top notch service. Highly recommended! River Cafe: The restaurant on Prince's Island Park, Calgary, Alberta - home

It took a while (we meant to go some months ago!) but we made a reservation at Amarcord for dinnerz tonight. Yay!

Elite Member

Did you have a good night Moomies? Was it worth the wait?

^^ Good food, good service except we didn't like their prawns much, they were rubbery. It was a cozy little place yet had a very vibrant atmosphere. I like that area (Yaletown, Downtown, Van). Sorry if I spell them wrong but I had Vongole (clam linquine) and hubby had de marre or something like that (seafood linquine). Had butter garlic prawns as appetizer.

Today we went to this Chinese Restaurant called Floata in Chinatown. They were hosting two banquets but still let us in (they were just preparing when we arrived). We were hoping to get Dim Sum but got there too late, it was already past 3 pm. Anyways, the waiters, hosts and everyone was so friendly. I love places that have great service. I didn't know this place was a little expensive though, I had gone to one of their restaurants in Richmond but I didn't have to pay then so I had no idea So yea even though it was passed Dim Sum hour, they still cooked us Sui Gow (shrimp dumplings), hubby had wonton soup, and we shared fried rice and eggplant hot pot. The fried rice had big shrimps and we liked that, and they weren't rubbery unlike the prawns we had last night.

p.s. at Floata, they served us home-made (or rather restaurant-made, I asked the host if they bake them there) almond cookies at the end of our meal instead of those factory made fortune cookies. They were so fresh and delish!
    Last edited by moomies; March 25th, 2007 at 03:34 PM.

New Orleans: Commanders Palace. EXQUISITE. Sunday Brunch to die for. Have the Bloody Mary-spicy and served from silver pitchers.It doesn't matter what you order. You cannot go wrong!
    Dallas: Three Forks. steaks to die for. Veggie lovers: you'll be at home too. Everything made there daily except the butter! Corn off the cob,Sliced tomatos & onions,perfection. They also serve a tiny coconut homemade liquor-type drink over ice.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information