Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Recommend a random grocery product!

czb

i am not a fan of dulce de leche.

but a marinade i love lately is peter luger. omg. we use it for steaks. let it marinate all day. so good.

sputnik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    ^ I have a huge sweet tooth too.
    ^My cat loves dulce de leche, too. She also loves flan, pudding, and yogurth (I hate all of it, though).
    SHELLEE likes this.

my cat loves ice cream but i think it's just cause he loves that it's cold and creamy, i read somewhere that cats can't taste sweet.
    palta likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    my cat loves ice cream but i think it's just cause he loves that it's cold and creamy, i read somewhere that cats can't taste sweet.
    I can't make mine eat ice cream. I just want to see her face when she experiences brain freeze, but no luck so far.
    I read the same about cats and sweets but this one came like this. It's hilarious. She hears the metallic lid when we open a 'postrecito' and comes running to get her ration. My bf can't eat yogurt without her staring at him. And she likes strawberry yogurt the best, she can eat peach or vanilla yogurt but she doesn't clean the bowl.

that's hilarious. and yes, mine gets brain freeze but it's not enough to stop him asking for more. he's really pushy too, and will basically push your hand out of the way and stick his head in the bowl.
    palta likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I checked local stores and they only carry the original or low fat oatly. Is the original still great in coffee or is the Barista kind much better? I am trying to wean myself off half&half and go black, but I just can't do it.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    ^ I have a huge sweet tooth too.
    So do I. I'm surprised I don't bleed Reeses Cups.
    palta, SHELLEE and lindsaywhit like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I checked local stores and they only carry the original or low fat oatly. Is the original still great in coffee or is the Barista kind much better? I am trying to wean myself off half&half and go black, but I just can't do it.
    i get the barista oatly at whole foods. You know I’ve never had the original or low fat so I don’t know. I imagine the original is probably close. I wouldn’t do low fat because the fat is probably part of why it has this lovely density that makes it resemble milk.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

The Barista Oatly is very good!

I love dulce de leche spread on banana bread. mmmmhh!
    palta likes this.
    -

^ It's amazing that you have a jar of San Ignacio!

I don't drink milk at all

i get the barista oatly at whole foods. You know I’ve never had the original or low fat so I don’t know. I imagine the original is probably close. I wouldn’t do low fat because the fat is probably part of why it has this lovely density that makes it resemble milk.
    I agree, low fat won't do to replace half&half. I researched it last night and apparently the barista version is what is great in coffee because it is thicker and creamier than the other kinds. The original is good for cereal, etc. People are making their own oatmilk with rolled oats and water and a good blender and if you use less water you can make it thick/creamy enough for coffee. So I might try that.
    sputnik likes this.

the barista kind also foams really well. for my tea fog i use my espresso machine to foam the milk and it gets really thick and yummy. it even has that creamy aftertaste that whole milk and half and half have. i don't know if you can achieve that by making your own oat milk with just oats and water, i think you need to introduce fat in there somehow.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

But What if you coat them with dulce de leche?

Thanks folks - I'll be here all week! Try the veal!
    sputnik, Brookie, Nevan and 1 others like this.

the barista kind also foams really well. for my tea fog i use my espresso machine to foam the milk and it gets really thick and yummy. it even has that creamy aftertaste that whole milk and half and half have. i don't know if you can achieve that by making your own oat milk with just oats and water, i think you need to introduce fat in there somehow.
    That's true. I might just wait til we get to the city and I can buy the barista kind.
    sputnik likes this.

Re: oat milk. Whatever you do, don't buy Pacific. It's like drinking water. I don't know what sorcery they use on Oatly, but it works. One of my coworkers gave some to a vegan coworker and he nearly spit it out because he thought it was real milk.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Mrs. Mo buys giant triangular blocks of parmesano reggiano - I think it was at Costco or BJ's, though. And I love it. We just cut off small slices and eat it every once in a while. It lasts a long time at our house. If I'm going to eat something fatty, like cheese, it has to taste INTENSE, which is what I love about parmesano reggiano. Or asiago.

ETA - what the hell is dulce de leche? It looks like Nutella.
    If you are near a Whole Foods or other grocery store that cracks their own 80lb wheels of parm, try to find out what day they normally crack it and then ask for a sample from the middle. It is more intense and has tropical fruit tasting notes and it is heaven on earth, but that flavor will start to fade within hours. That's not to say it isn't still amazing as it gets older, though. Also, look for pieces that aren't super smooth if possible. Parm is never supposed to be touched by a knife, only parm tools. IIRC, higher in fat than soft, "milkier" cheeses like brie, but it's good fat and it fills you up so you only need a little bit and it's high in protein and other nutrients so unless you're eating a pound of it at a time, the fat content shouldn't be so bad. Regardless, PR is great by itself...you can even dip it in your wine. So good.

I don't mind dulce de leche once in a while, especially ice cream.
    sputnik, Nevan and ConstanceSpry like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information