Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recipes using dried beans?

Silver Member

I make a pot of beans from dried every day, for myself and the dogs. I usually use the quick cooking ones: lentils, split peas, blackeyes, mungs. I soak overnight, change the water, and boil for 20 minutes or so. If it's a longer cooking variety like black, kidney, or garbanzo, it might take an hour more.

I usually eat them the same way: olive oil, red wine vinegar, Italian parsley, salt, pepper, onion. Sometimes mint and garlic, sometimes walnuts. I put them in my salads, too. They are also good with corn and bell peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by marina View Post
    I make a pot of beans from dried every day, for myself and the dogs. I usually use the quick cooking ones: lentils, split peas, blackeyes, mungs. I soak overnight, change the water, and boil for 20 minutes or so. If it's a longer cooking variety like black, kidney, or garbanzo, it might take an hour more.

I usually eat them the same way: olive oil, red wine vinegar, Italian parsley, salt, pepper, onion. Sometimes mint and garlic, sometimes walnuts. I put them in my salads, too. They are also good with corn and bell peppers.
    That sounds like a great way to eat them. I have tons of lentils too. I wish the red/orange lentils would keep their color after cooking though.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    ^^My gran says that's nothing. Beans can be stored for up to 10 yrs.
    Does the type of storing matter? This thread reminded me that I have several sealed baggies in the back of my pantry that have probably been there at least 7-8 yrs. They were 'fresh' pintos from Arizona when I bagged 'em~
    Playful~

I love lentils! I make lots of different stews from them. I always cheat with the soaking of all my beans though - hot water soak for an hour, rinse and cook. I never remember to soak them the night before.

i like to take either pink beans or pinto beans, soak them overnight, then sautee up onions, garlic & chorizo in the bottom of a large stock pot. once the chorizo is cooked, add in the beans & a couple dried red chiles, some fresh jalapeno, a mason jar of canned tomatoes & water; then season w/ pepper, salt & whatever else you want. cook down for a few hours. serve with cornbread or tortillas.

and, this is my new favorite lentil recipe that i got from a friend...it's really good. and, i always put in more garlic than it calls for.

honey baked lentils

1 cup lentils (i use red)
    2 cups water
    2 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp soysauce or tamari
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1 clove garlic
    1 small onion (i use 2 or 3)
    salt & pepper to taste

Bake in a covered dish at 350 until tender (about an hour and a half). You can also add some vegetables before baking...i've tried it with squash, potatoes & mushrooms so far).
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information