Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Rant: Slow service in restaurants

The $2 min wage (two something) is only in 23 states that are called Right to Work states. In those states, your tips are calculated as a part of your wage and if you don't make enough to meet the federal min wage standard when everything is calculated together, then the employer has to ante up to make up the difference. I worked in FL and that never happened that I saw.

But overall, if you eat someplace in the states (I'm not versed on other countries) and someone waits on you (not a buffet or self-serve place), tip at least 10% unless the service is horrendous. And don't hold it against the waitress if your food is messed up in a way in which he/she can't see or control (like the doneness of your steak). If you can't afford to tip, go somewhere where you don't have to tip. Otherwise people are literally paying for you to eat out and it's not the restaurant owners, it's the wait person.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    You'll would hate me, I aways eat out... and when I have tons of money I tip VERY well, other times I'm not as rich and don't leave any.

That's why I was curious about the $2.65. How your able to pay bills?

Well, in Australia we have a decent (though not spectacular) minimum wage... so far, until the Fair Pay Commission decide to lower it in order to "boost the competitiveness of the economy" (but that's a Work Choices rant for another day!)

So I can pay my bills pretty well - wages + youth allowance = your average uni student income. Not much, but I can pay rent on a falling down flat, eat basic but not gourmet food, drink a few beers a week and occasionally buy a CD or jeans.

I think in the US it's a lot different - that's where the $2.85/hour thing comes in!

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    The $2 min wage (two something) is only in 23 states that are called Right to Work states. In those states, your tips are calculated as a part of your wage and if you don't make enough to meet the federal min wage standard when everything is calculated together, then the employer has to ante up to make up the difference. I worked in FL and that never happened that I saw.
    Do the federal govn't or the employer compensate you for the lack of meeting minimun wage standards? I guess this is what causes the mimimun wage standard to rise?

I tip well, but am very inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassiness View Post
    Well, in Australia we have a decent (though not spectacular) minimum wage... so far, until the Fair Pay Commission decide to lower it in order to "boost the competitiveness of the economy" (but that's a Work Choices rant for another day!)
    Yeah, I guess that the govn't creates different incentives, Right to Work and Work Choices are of the same nature.
    Last edited by Tati; August 28th, 2007 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    Do the federal govn't or the employer compensate you for the lack of meeting minimun wage standards?
    Yes, the employer does. If, after your tips are calculated in, you don't make at least the federal min wage per hour, the employer kicks in to make it meet the min wage. (Example: you worked 8 hours at $2.85/hr plus you claimed $50 in tips for those 8 hours. That would work out to be $72.80 for 8 hours work or $9.10/hr which is more than the federal min wage so the employer would have to pay nothing over the $2.85/hr.)

You can make that kind of money working at some slow grease pit, so I can't imagine many employers ever have to do it. Like I said, I never saw it happen.

I guess this is what causes the mimimun wage standard to rise?
    I don't know what causes it to rise, but I have doubts the scenario we're talking about here has much impact on it, if at all. Whatever it is, the wage is about twenty years behind the times. Currently it's double what it was in 1979. Is there anything in this world that is not three or four times as expensive as it was then? It doesn't keep up with the real costs of living. Then again, if they raise the wage, all the prices go up everywhere so it's a nice little circle jerk where the wage can't ever catch up with the costs.

Perhaps someone more informed than I can expand on why it rises?

I can only think of a couple of times when I left no tip at all because the service was so awful. Even crappy servers get tips from me, just not as much. Everybody has a bad day from time to time, so I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Once a group of about 12 of us went to eat at a very popular and busy (they should've had their shit together ) restaurant in Florida. Because of the size of our party the tip was automatically added to our bill. Obviously our server thought this meant that he didn't have to actually work for his tip, he sucked and had a horrible attitude. We had to practically beg for drink refills, had to ask 3 times for a damn butter knife, he was very impatient w/ my elderly grandmother who is hard of hearing, got a couple of our orders mixed up, didn't bring out my kid's food until everyone else was almost done eating, etc. We complained to the manager and had that automatic tip removed.

I have no problem leaving a 20% tip for good servers though. Especially the ones who are extra sweet to my kids.

By the way, tip stands for: To Insure Promptness

/\/\ I had a large group once where I had to cut off one of the guys and everyone else started acting up and were total dicks to me. In that restaurant we automatically added the tip to the total, so it was already on there when they signed their charge slip. The bitch wrote a big 0 in the tip spot and I just laughed cause I already got my tip. Fuck you very much!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information