Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rant: Slow service in restaurants

Something that hasn't been mentioned and which a lot of people don't know is that in the US servers and bartenders have to pay taxes on their gross sales - it's taken right out of their paycheck - regardless of what tips are made, if any. Plus they declare tips and it's taxed just like the rest of their money. It's not free money or anything. (Although I did work with lots of people that never claimed correctly.)

And most places I ever worked I had to tip out a percentage of my gross sales as well to the bartender, bus boys and kitchen. Not from my tips, but from my sales. Most places worked on the 10% assumption - that you made, in tips, at least 10% of your gross sales. So if people didn't tip, I actually lost money. Cause I still had to tip everyone else out and pay taxes on those sales.

So there's more to it than simply expecting people to tip. I always did my best to give great service, but I got stiffed a few times and had some regulars that never tipped period. When I gave good service and didn't get tipped cause someone didn't "agree with tipping" I told them to stay home or eat fast food. Why should anyone have to pay for someone else to eat out?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Our mentality is just to cut expenses...
    Where I live, it isn't a cultural hub. It is generic low quality places. A lot like fast food. Where do you live NW Girl?

Oregon.

And I don't know about anywhere except the US in terms of tax policy regarding gross sales or whether they have to tip other employees according to those sales. That's just how it is in the states. And honestly, it's something not a lot of people are aware of. I don't know if that knowledge would change the mentality of people who don't tip as a regular thing. Just FYI.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

^Yeah, I'm pretty sure the minimum wage is higher that $2.65.

There's often a different "minimum" wage for people in the service industry, even in Canada. Minimum wage in Ontario is $8 something? I think? And server wage is $5 something I believe (something along those lines anyway). So if they received no tips, they would literally be earning much less than minimum wage, especially when you factor in tipping out to other staff, which is common practice.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Something that hasn't been mentioned and which a lot of people don't know is that in the US servers and bartenders have to pay taxes on their gross sales - it's taken right out of their paycheck - regardless of what tips are made, if any. Plus they declare tips and it's taxed just like the rest of their money. It's not free money or anything. (Although I did work with lots of people that never claimed correctly.)

And most places I ever worked I had to tip out a percentage of my gross sales as well to the bartender, bus boys and kitchen. Not from my tips, but from my sales. Most places worked on the 10% assumption - that you made, in tips, at least 10% of your gross sales. So if people didn't tip, I actually lost money. Cause I still had to tip everyone else out and pay taxes on those sales.

So there's more to it than simply expecting people to tip. I always did my best to give great service, but I got stiffed a few times and had some regulars that never tipped period. When I gave good service and didn't get tipped cause someone didn't "agree with tipping" I told them to stay home or eat fast food. Why should anyone have to pay for someone else to eat out?

Great post. Yes it's true. We are supposed to claim 100% of our tips and pay taxes on them. You absolutley have to claim 10% of your sales to the IRS as your tipped income. Also tipping the bartenders a percentage of your sales and bus persons. So yes if someone does not tip you, you are paying taxes on money you never made, and it sucks. Obviously, if you are a server or a bartender you should give great service no matter what, but there are people out there who stiff you and don't leave a tip at all even for great service.

Also, we get paid $2.63 per hour, so if the kitchen screws up and the server does a great job, the server ends up getting screwed. We fight with the kitchen all the time, because they make the same amount of money if they do a good job, or if they screw up and are slow or whatever, and we servers are the ones getting less money for their screw ups, which is why when I go out to eat I don't hold that against the server, as long as they do a good job and seem to be trying and are polite they will still get at least 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    We are SO lucky here not to have mandatory tipping. If the service is good then of course you acknowledge it with a tip but even then it's 10% max. If the service is crap you can walk away without leaving a tip with a clear conscience. I really resent having to fork out an extra 15%+ in the US for a lousy meal and indifferent service. In fact I think it actually encourages bad service/food because the restaurant knows they will get a tip anyway so there's no incentive to try to actually earn it.
    I've never heard of a 10% max - at work, people's tipping ranges from chucking in some spare change, to dropping a note of some description ($5, $10, $20) or to using the credit card tipping thingy to take up their total to a round figure (so if the meal is $143.50, the tip might be $6.50, taking it to a round $150) Some people go completley OTT and we love them, dropping $50 +, but these are generally long standing customers who know the bosses personally or have some other long history with the place. Some people are just really generous! Some people are really stingy, and will rave on about the food and the service, making sure to profusely thank us as they're leaving... and then don't tip (pricks).

All up, I wouldn't say that there's a percentage way to work out tips Down Under - in Hobart at least!

A*O

Ahhhhhhh Hobart - things are different in Tassie darl LOL. In Melbourne you make it approx 10% (rounding up or down within reason) but of course you can make it as much as you like. The point is that a tip isn't expected and when you do it's usually really appreciated.

I don't want to give the impression I'm anti-tipping. Not at all. Good, professional waiting staff are a pleasure to meet and they deserve every cent they earn (plus tips!). My gripe is when the customer has no choice.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Silver Member

Ahhhhhhh Hobart - things are different in Tassie darl LOL. In Melbourne you make it approx 10% (rounding up or down within reason) but of course you can make it as much as you like. The point is that a tip isn't expected and when you do it's usually really appreciated.

I don't want to give the impression I'm anti-tipping. Not at all. Good, professional waiting staff are a pleasure to meet and they deserve every cent they earn (plus tips!). My gripe is when the customer has no choice.
    I know people really don't think they have a choice, but even in the US you don't HAVE to leave a tip. But if you get great service and don't leave a tip in the US then fine that is your choice but it's pretty shitty. Also, at my work we do add in 18% gratuity for parties of 8 or more, I never do, I would rather take my chances and I get more than 18% everytime, because I do a good job. There are some girls there who add it in everytime, and honestly it's because they suck and wouldn't get a good tip otherwise.

Here's another story for you. The first night that my work was open to the public this couple comes in with there daughter. They were not friendly at all but oh well. Well being our first night you would hope that some would be understanding that it takes a little while to work all the kinks out. Also this night we got slammed, so many people where waiting for this restaurant to open and they all showed up the first night...anyway, they ordered there food and it took a while, I kept going in the kitchen to check on the order and nothing, I went back to the table appologized for the wait, refilled there drinks, offered some more bread, the wife was very understanding but the husband was a jerk. Anyway, the food finally comes out, I bring it to them, wait a few minutes go over and make sure everything is alright and the daughter doesn't like her macaroni and cheese, I offer her something else, no thanks (which who knows how long it could take that night) She ate her french fries and some of her mom's meal, We took the mac and cheese off the bill. Well, not only did this prick stiff me but he didn't even leave enough to pay his whole bill. So now, I'm stuck paying taxes on tips I didn't make AND paying the last couple dollars of his bill. I was more than pissed. Don't leave a tip, fine, but at least cover your bill, why should I with 3 kids have to pay YOUR bill?

Ahhhhhhh Hobart - things are different in Tassie darl LOL. In Melbourne you make it approx 10% (rounding up or down within reason) but of course you can make it as much as you like. The point is that a tip isn't expected and when you do it's usually really appreciated
    and that was the reason I put that there There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to tipping here - it's all down to how the person feels. I can't see any pattern, and I know when I tip I'm usually too hammered on good wine to work out any percentages. I just tip $5-20, depending on how good the service was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    There's often a different "minimum" wage for people in the service industry, even in Canada. Minimum wage in Ontario is $8 something? I think? And server wage is $5 something I believe (something along those lines anyway). So if they received no tips, they would literally be earning much less than minimum wage, especially when you factor in tipping out to other staff, which is common practice.
    Ok, I was curious about how it differed between us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassiness View Post
    and that was the reason I put that there There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to tipping here - it's all down to how the person feels. I can't see any pattern, and I know when I tip I'm usually too hammered on good wine to work out any percentages. I just tip $5-20, depending on how good the service was.
    You'll would hate me, I aways eat out... and when I have tons of money I tip VERY well, other times I'm not as rich and don't leave any.

That's why I was curious about the $2.65. How your able to pay bills?

Silver Member

[QUOTE=JamieElizabeth;789257]You'll would hate me, I aways eat out... and when I have tons of money I tip VERY well, other times I'm not as rich and don't leave any.

That's why I was curious about the $2.65. How your able to pay bills?[/QUOTE]

Tips.

Some people have creative ways of expressing displeasure:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1182/...36c3dbdc2a.jpg

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

^^

I wish I'd thought of that. Once I wrote the same down on a napkin before I left, but writing it out in ketchup on the table would've been much more satisfying!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information