Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rant: Slow service in restaurants

I try to tip well, but it can feel like waiters in the US are like hawks watching over you. It's probably because they make like $2 something an hour.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I love the mandatory 18% tip automatically added to parties of 8 or more in some restaurants. It's usually some of the worst service I get too. Surprise surprise.

Hit By Ban Bus!

tipping is a custom in our culture. that is why servers are paid minimum wage. i tip waiters, hairdressers, cab drivers. the last time we were in cuba my bf spent the last morning tipping all the staff. and i'm happy to give it. they were nice and we wanted them to know it. of course if someone is really rude i wouldn't but people who look for excuses not to tip are cheap tightwads and it will come back to them.
    no tip=no class

A*O

Disagree. If the service you receive is efficient, friendly and professional then tip away.
    If the service is surly, lazy and indifferent then I don't see why these people deserve a tip because that's that a tip is - a reward for good service, not an entitlement.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Disagree. If the service you receive is efficient, friendly and professional then tip away.
    If the service is surly, lazy and indifferent then I don't see why these people deserve a tip because that's that a tip is - a reward for good service, not an entitlement.

i really don't see how we are disagreeing about "these people" (love that).
    i'd rather make someone's day than look for reasons to stiff them out of a few bucks. it is rare i have surly, lazy, indifferent service. most servers are nice. if they're a little dumb, no biggie. who am i to be going around giving out "rewards". if you're too cheap to tip, stay home.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by doriangray View Post
    it is rare i have surly, lazy, indifferent service. most servers are nice. if they're a little dumb, no biggie.
    Agree - mostly it's a pleasure to be served by professionals who know what they are doing and I tip accordingly. In fact I usually give them cash discretely which they don't have to put into the tipping jar or even tell their boss about and I still add something else that's documented on the bill. I know how it works. But if they DO give bad service then why pay them for it? I don't think that's being 'cheap' but come to Australia and see how the system works here OK?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Agree - mostly it's a pleasure to be served by professionals who know what they are doing and I tip accordingly. In fact I usually give them cash discretely which they don't have to put into the tipping jar or even tell their boss about and I still add something else that's documented on the bill. I know how it works. But if they DO give bad service then why pay them for it? I don't think that's being 'cheap' but come to Australia and see how the system works here OK?
    is that an invitation to lunch?

I couldn't agree more. And I don't even mind not 'perfect' service is a restaurant is busy, or I can tell than the waiter is rude, as long as they are polite about it. If they're rude to me (which has happened), I'm not leaving them shit!

Silver Member

I know it's a cultural thing, but it's the EXPECTATION of a tip where I have a problem. I also know it's often part of a person's pay structure and they rely on tips to make a working wage - all the more reason to actually EARN it IMO but as I say, in places where tipping is required anyway where's the incentive to earn it.
    I do NOT expect a tip for bad service, which is why I give great service 99% of the time because I make $2.63 an hour and if I don't give great service I don't make any money. There are plenty of people who don't give good service or are just plain rude and people tip them because they feel like they have too, which I don't agree with at all, but like you said, if everyone is expected to tip then where is the incentive to do a good job. My incentive is that on a normal night I get about a 20% tip from every single table I wait on, so I must be doing something right, I have gotten 30% 40% and 50% tips from people too, so right there is my incentive I guess. If someone is rude or just doesn't give a shit then No I won't tip them and probably leave them a note telling them why, but if they are trying and are friendly, they will get at least 20% from me.

I've told the story somewhere before of actually being 'stood over' in a NYC Italian Restaurant because we left a tip of 'only' about 15%. Three burly waiters re-presented the payment slip with the sum I'd tipped crossed out and a new figure put in which I had to sign. They held on to my credit card until I did. We didn't want to make a fuss because these goodfella waiters were VERY intimidating and we wanted to get out of the place in one piece. The meal wasn't all that good either
    OMG, that is scary.

I would have called the cops immediately and let them deal with it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

tipping is a custom in our culture. that is why servers are paid minimum wage. i tip waiters, hairdressers, cab drivers. the last time we were in cuba my bf spent the last morning tipping all the staff. and i'm happy to give it. they were nice and we wanted them to know it. of course if someone is really rude i wouldn't but people who look for excuses not to tip are cheap tightwads and it will come back to them.
    no tip=no class
    What does Cuba have to do with tipping in the US? As if our standards are like Cuba?
    I'm speaking of substandard restaurants, which the US has tons of. Chilis,
    Applebees, Ihops The minimun wage here is like 2.15, and it is expected for us to compensate that.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    What does Cuba have to do with tipping in the US? As if our standards are like Cuba?
    I'm speaking of substandard restaurants, which the US has tons of. Chilis,
    Applebees, Ihops The minimun wage here is like 2.15, and it is expected for us to compensate that.
    oh yes you are so much better than those sleazy cubans and their lowly standards. spoken like atrue american. fuck.
    i'm talking about giving wherever you go in this world. except yes in cuba you give them an old tshirt and they're thrilled. they are lovely people.
    i don't eat at ihop.

oh yes you are so much better than those sleazy cubans and their lowly standards. spoken like atrue american. fuck.
    i'm talking about giving wherever you go in this world. except yes in cuba you give them an old tshirt and they're thrilled. they are lovely people.
    i don't eat at ihop.
    Pretty much. I don't even think our standards have been set. How the fuck someone could pay bills on $2 (without depending on a tip)is beyond me.

Wow, Dorian's posts are full of it! Good to know that she felt so good about tipping the servers in Cuba the last time she went there. Nice! Wonder if she realized that the servers didn't get to keep a cent of the tip money?? Glad she felt so good tipping them.

I don't tip people if they don't deserve it, then again, it is VERY rare that someone is THAT bad. You have to be a real lazy f*ck not to get a tip from me. I always try to leave at least $5.00 at a cafe or other small, cheap eatery and I always like to leave 20% if it's a nice place with good service.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information