Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rant: Slow service in restaurants

A*O

Generally speaking I think Australian waiting staff are much more efficient and professional than in some other places I've visited. They are attentive without smothering you (it REALLY bugs me when waiters ask "Is everything OK?" every five minutes), friendly, knowledgeable and polite. It's a respected skill here and experienced waiting staff are (usually) treated well by their employers because they know how valuable they are to their business.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    They are attentive without smothering you (it REALLY bugs me when waiters ask "Is everything OK?" every five minutes),
    I hate that too, and try to avoid doing it when I'm working.

But then I get my butt kicked by my boss for standing around at the bar instead of seeing if the floor is okay - it's not a huge restaurant, doing a sweep every 5 mins is plenty!!

BF and I went to Waffle House the other day and had an experience that I thought I'd share. I don't care for that place to begin with. I've been to multiple Waffle Houses and they're always filthy. But BF really enjoys the food so I agreed to go with him.

We walked in and it was not crowded. I'd say there were probably about two other tables seated- both with about two or three people. We sat down in a booth and waited for a server to take our drink order. We literally sat there for 15-20 minutes and no one even acknowledged us. The waiters were standing behind the counter talking to each other and laughing. Finally after about 20 minutes we just left, totally dumbfounded.

I recently got brave enough not to leave a tip for the lousy service we got. And I still can't get over the waitress drinking on the job! I coulda lighted a fire with the fumes coming off of her breathe! I should have reported her to the manager but I think the rich guy at the next table she was serving was going to already beat me to it.

I have only not left a tip once and I still feel bad about it- even though the service was horrible. We were at IHOP. The waitress only came by once- during which time she hit on my boyfriend and scowled at me as I ordered, rolling her eyes. About 45 minutes later, she brought our food, drinks,and check, dropped them off on the table, and walked away. The drinks were not what we ordered, but she never came back so we didn't have the opportunity to get new ones. The ones that we got in the first place were never refilled either.

I always leave at least a 20% tip, so it was really hard for me to leave nothing but I was very offended by the service.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I've not left a tip a few times, but the server must have been blatantly rude for me to do it, otherwise, I usually tip well. When my boyfriend gets lousy service, he'll leave no tip, or a lousy one, then leaves a note for them on the receipt stating that they need to be more attentive if they want better tips. He wants to make sure they know that he's not just some cheapskate. He's so embarrassing.

A*O

We are SO lucky here not to have mandatory tipping. If the service is good then of course you acknowledge it with a tip but even then it's 10% max. If the service is crap you can walk away without leaving a tip with a clear conscience. I really resent having to fork out an extra 15%+ in the US for a lousy meal and indifferent service. In fact I think it actually encourages bad service/food because the restaurant knows they will get a tip anyway so there's no incentive to try to actually earn it.
    Dame Edna Everage

Hit By Ban Bus!

sometimes it really depends on what you order in asian diners. while many things are precooked other more uncommon orders are not. torontonians may be familiar with ginger. it started on yonge, a cheap dive and now they're everywhere. the food is cheap and the service quick EXCEPT when my bf (the hubby) insists on ordering udon noodles which he always does. my food sits in front of me while we wait and wait...and wait. same as a korean place we go to. i love the seaweed soup but since i'm probably the only one that ever orders it, it takes forbloodyever. so now i call them on the way. or just sit and wait, tapping chopsticks and exchanging glances.

couldn't help myself.

I really resent having to fork out an extra 15%+ in the US for a lousy meal and indifferent service.
    I resent this as well. And it's not even that I feel obligated to tip, really; it's that if you don't tip, or don't tip well, the server will likely assume you're just a lousy tipper, rather than that their service was poor. With exceptional service, I'm a very generous tipper. With "standard" service, I'll tip 15% and probably round up a bit. And I try to keep the service in context - if something is the fault of the kitchen, or they're obviously short-staffed, I won't fault the server for that.

I've only had truly poor service a handful of times, and honestly, I don't recall what I did. But I would be very tempted to leave a note of some sort in the future, because there's not much point in punishing the server if they don't clue in, lol. There's definitely an odd mentality at work here, though. Like the 15% is always just assumed, so if you give a lesser tip, and don't point out that the service was poor, they would just figure you're a lousy tipper. Really, the tip should speak for itself, but we've gotten to a point where it's so expected that it doesn't function the way it should.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Silver Member

As a waitress I tend to tip well. Sometimes probably too much, but I believe in tipping karma lol. I tip 25-30% for great service, 20 percent for the rest, unless it is really really bad, but the person would have to be very rude to me as in the case with southernbelle at IHOP, in that case I would not have left a tip.

My boyfriend and I went out for dinner a couple months ago and the waiter was not the greatest he forgot my salad that came with the meal, and a couple minor things, I decided to not bitch about the salad and still left a 20% tip, the reason for that is he was very nice, seemed to be trying to do a good job and was very busy. Last week we went out to breakfast, the waitress was so clearly brand new and tried so hard, but just couldn't get it right, she was busy and new, that is a tough combination, overall, our food came out right she was extremely nice and a few minor things happened, I think a few more weeks on the job she'll do great, my boyfriend told me I better not tip her more than 10%....I left her 40%.

If someone has a shitty attitude and is rude to me or is just standing around talking while I'm waiting for a drink refill or something, then I don't tip as well, but I try to judge how busy they are, and also how busy is the restaurant right now, because if the whole restaurant is full, then I'll probably be waiting for a little longer for my food and can't fault the waitstaff for that. Also, if someone ordered a little bit after me and their food was served to them first, I try to notice what exactly they got compared to what I got, maybe mine is something that takes longer to cook than what they ordered and as long as mine is out fairly quick after them, I don't hold it against anyone.

I've been in the situation at work where we were short staffed but it was a Monday so, no big deal, and then we get slammed all at once, it sucks. This paticular night I had about 8 tables fill up at the same time plus a party of 13 in the other room. There was one table that I just could never get too in time and I know they got horrible service and felt like an ass, then they order another round of drinks and our 1 bartender was slammed between the bar and making all the drinks for us servers so the round of drinks took FOREVER. Anyway I felt like the worst server in the world at this time and finally brought them their drinks and appologized for the wait. They asked for the check. Well they left I thanked them on the way out. Picked up the credit card slip and holy shit they left me 20% I never would have expected that. They obviously took into account how short staffed we were for such a busy time and if they came in on a normal night, even a Friday where we have the correct amount of servers and bartenders on, they would see that I truly do not suck as a server, it was just a bad night. I know I do a great job even on nights where everything goes wrong, but I do know when I've done a horrible job.

OK, sorry for the long winded post.

I just don't tip unless the service is good, but if it's slow and I see that the restaurant is busy as hell and that the wait staff is buzzing around as fast as they can I'll be nice.

A regular night or a slow night, with lots of staff, and the service is shit? Fuck that. They're lucky I pay the bill.

I've walked out of places while waiting for the bill that never came.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

That was good to know Queenb, to have a solid opinion. I usually take the tax & double it-about 17%. If not sure I go higher. If I get a good wait-person who actually cares about their job, I am thrilled & tip accordingly.
    PS-if the place is really crowded, we ask for the ticket when we get served! Saves time!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by queenb3577 View Post
    As a waitress I tend to tip well. Sometimes probably too much, but I believe in tipping karma lol. I tip 25-30% for great service, 20 percent for the rest, unless it is really really bad, but the person would have to be very rude to me as in the case with southernbelle at IHOP, in that case I would not have left a tip.

I know it's a cultural thing, but it's the EXPECTATION of a tip where I have a problem. I also know it's often part of a person's pay structure and they rely on tips to make a working wage - all the more reason to actually EARN it IMO but as I say, in places where tipping is required anyway where's the incentive to earn it.

I've told the story somewhere before of actually being 'stood over' in a NYC Italian Restaurant because we left a tip of 'only' about 15%. Three burly waiters re-presented the payment slip with the sum I'd tipped crossed out and a new figure put in which I had to sign. They held on to my credit card until I did. We didn't want to make a fuss because these goodfella waiters were VERY intimidating and we wanted to get out of the place in one piece. The meal wasn't all that good either.
    Dame Edna Everage

A*O, that is the most horrible thing I've ever heard of. I'd report it, if not to police (because really, what are they likely to do), then to the credit card company. Seriously, I'd write a letter or something.

I hate the obligatory tipping thing too, even though I do understand that it's the only way servers earn a living wage. The expectation that it will be a given, no matter what kind of service it is, really does bother me. It's like the restaurants not paying them a living wage guilts me into paying them 20%, or else you're a horrible person and a cheapskate.

I refuse to acknowledge the "expected" tip shit. I dont pay it. EVER.

a tip is a GRATUITY, as in IF I FUCKING FEEL LIKE IT.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information