Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question for Canadians

Soj, you're one of the nicest posters here and I don't ever want to offend you, but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I see olives in there, too.

Ugh! There's always one of those at the bf's family gatherings. I don't eat Jello, but they're always trying to pawn that crap off on me. They refer to it as, get this, "Ambrosia Salad". My definition of ambrosia does not include Jello. They also mix crap like Cool Whip and canned pineapple in it. Just the thought makes me want to hurl!

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    AO- Any chance that the jello had cottage cheese and not marshmallows?
    This is about as awful as jello gets.
    1 package lemon Jello
    1 package lime Jello
    1 can of pineapple
    1 can evaporated milk
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup mayonnaise or miracle whip
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
    pinch of salt

Drain pineapple into 2 cup glass measuring cup. Add enough water to the pineapple liquid to make 2 cups. Put into saucepan and heat liquid. Dissolve Jello in hot pineapple liquid. Put Jello in refrigerator to cool in pan. Combine remaining ingredients and add to the Jello when the Jello becomes sticky. Combine well and place back in the refrigerator to set up.
    Sorry everyone I got so carried away on this thread! Even I have to say 'WTF?' to the mayo or miracle whip part of this recipe-ewwww!!!!! I can possibly see the cheese even..but MAYO??

I never intended to offend anyone with my "redneck" comments. My relatives continue to make Jello salads and many other more delicious, to me at least, treats. They don't care if people call them rednecks because they are proud of it and could give a rat's ass what anybody else thinks.

It never occurred to me that anybody would take that comment personally as this thread was about a light-hearted topic from the get go. My mother also used to make Jello salads and I don't think ill of her, either.

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No!!!! Not that lol. My mom used to make it every Christmas even though she would be the only one who ate it. Actually it was sort of a running gag in my family because the first year my brother-in-law was with my sister we made him eat it and he was saying it was really good because of course he didn't want to tell my mom it tasted like crap. And after that he used to make all the new boyfriends that came into the family eat it lol. I have to say though that the one we had was lemon jello with tomato juice and had peas and carrots in it *shudder*

Anyways we used to call it Aspic.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I never intended to offend anyone with my "redneck" comments. My relatives continue to make Jello salads and many other more delicious, to me at least, treats. They don't care if people call them rednecks because they are proud of it and could give a rat's ass what anybody else thinks.

It never occurred to me that anybody would take that comment personally as this thread was about a light-hearted topic from the get go. My mother also used to make Jello salads and I don't think ill of her, either.
    I guess I read a little too much into the thread.. (who me?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No!!!! Not that lol. My mom used to make it every Christmas even though she would be the only one who ate it. Actually it was sort of a running gag in my family because the first year my brother-in-law was with my sister we made him eat it and he was saying it was really good because of course he didn't want to tell my mom it tasted like crap. And after that he used to make all the new boyfriends that came into the family eat it lol. I have to say though that the one we had was lemon jello with tomato juice and had peas and carrots in it *shudder*

Anyways we used to call it Aspic.
    I had no idea these things were actually made with primarily vegetables rather than fruits. Jello with tomato juice and peas and carrots does not sound very appetizing. I have never had jello like that. Maybe that is why I have a higher opinion of it than many others?

Sugar-free lime jello is heinous.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I had no idea these things were actually made with primarily vegetables rather than fruits. Jello with tomato juice and peas and carrots does not sound very appetizing. I have never had jello like that. Maybe that is why I have a higher opinion of it than many others?
    Probably because jello with fruit and marshmallows doesn't sound so bad but the one with the tomato juice and vegetables...

Check out this website it's quite funny

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/knox/index.html

A*O

I apologise unreservedly to anyone who is offended by my comments about green Canadian jello. I meant no disrespect to jello in general, the people who make it, the people who eat it, the people who love it or the people who hate it. I totally respect everyone's right to enjoy jello however they choose. I was asking for a specific recipe that (probably) only Canadians would recognise because I've only ever seen it served in Canada - hence the thread title. I did not intend to create an international diplomatic incident, nor did I deliberately set out to offend posters for whom jello obviously carries a lot of emotional resonance and if I had known I was walking into such sensitive territory I would have been more cautious with my comments. I'd hate to go down in the annals of GR history as "The Bitch Who Started The Jello Wars".
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I apologise unreservedly to anyone who is offended by my comments about green Canadian jello. I meant no disrespect to jello in general, the people who make it, the people who eat it, the people who love it or the people who hate it. I totally respect everyone's right to enjoy jello however they choose. I was asking for a specific recipe that (probably) only Canadians would recognise because I've only ever seen it served in Canada - hence the thread title. I did not intend to create an international diplomatic incident, nor did I deliberately set out to offend posters for whom jello obviously carries a lot of emotional resonance and if I had known I was walking into such sensitive territory I would have been more cautious with my comments. I'd hate to go down in the annals of GR history as "The Bitch Who Started The Jello Wars".
    I admitted I took it all a bit too seriously. Now I am just having fun with it. No problem here.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

My friend gave me this weird jello recipe before.

You use club soda instead of water to make jello and eat it with whip cream...so it's like carbonated jello.

I've never tried the lime green thingie though I've lived in Canada for almost a decade...never seen it either.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

LOL. I think this is the funniest thread I've seen for a long time.

LOVE the avatar, Soj. Love the signature, Mooms.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; September 18th, 2006 at 09:22 PM.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Reminds me of Aunt Bethany's jello salad during "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation" respendent with Lil' Friskies dried cat food festively embedded in the jello.

Zee

Who knew that Jello could stir up such issues?

Forgot about the kitty kittle jello salad!
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Sorry everyone I got so carried away on this thread! Even I have to say 'WTF?' to the mayo or miracle whip part of this recipe-ewwww!!!!! I can possibly see the cheese even..but MAYO??

Don't tell me you never tried the Crampt Brand Fourth of July Heritage Loaf recipe featuring onions, olives, cherries and apples from "The Groove Tube"? It was one of the funniest bits I've ever seen poking fun at tv cooking shows.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information