Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question for Canadians

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I've found a couple already, but I'm still looking for that perfect green concoction of cabbage and carrot, or cucumber.

I'm particularly thinking of the bright green one with the floating marshmallows. Maybe it's some kind of hoser version of Sweet N Sour. I want this to be the grossest but authentic one I can find, although knowing my (hoser) brother in law he'll scarf it down along with his quart of Crown Regal
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

OK, I posted one in recipes but it doesn't have the marshmellows. Let me keep looking. I have a lot of vintage cookbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I'm particularly thinking of the bright green one with the floating marshmallows. Maybe it's some kind of hoser version of Sweet N Sour. I want this to be the grossest but authentic one I can find, although knowing my (hoser) brother in law he'll scarf it down along with his quart of Crown Regal
    I've heard of Crown Royal... but what is Crown Regal?

A*O

My bad - I meant Crown Royal. I don't drink the filthy stuff so the name gets a little hazy. I think a Crown Regal might be a type of car! Oooops

BTW At that bonspiel we were the losing team by FAR (Aussies are crap at staying upright on ice for obvious reasons) but we won the raffle which was, you guessed, a case of Crown Royal!
    Dame Edna Everage

Ok I called my mom about this question and she told me how she would make it is like this, now if you need alot use as many boxes of Jell-o Lime gelatin.
    2 boxes of Lime Jell-o (you will need to add 2 C. hot water the key is to make sure you stir for a good 2 minutes or your going to have a hard uneatable jello layer then you add 2 C. of cool water and mix for a minute)
    1 to 1 1/2 C. mini-marshmallows but make sure the Jell-O mixture is cool so the marshmallows dont melt. (My mom use to get the "jumbo" marshmallows before they made minis and she would cut them with scissors)
    Let is sit in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap or even a kitchen towel, you dont want a hard top.
    You can serve it with whipped topping too. You can add walnuts or even green cherries.
    Good luck

Im sure you can add flavoring extract like mint or lime flavoring for a stronger flavor. Id only do like a capful. I guess it doesnt matter if its for your BIL. Maybe drunk if he gets an early start on that Crown Royal. My dad use to drink CR and it came in a purple felt bag. I remember having like 4 of those for my Barbies clothes. HEHEHE
    My mom did alot of entertainment cooking in the 60's and 70's.
    Oh and get this my grandmother was a wonderful cook and cooked everything from scratch. Well she had a huge collection of cookbooks, guess that is where I get my love for collecting them too, when she passed away in 1986 I asked my dad if I could pick out two of her cookbooks to keep. My aunt, dad's sister, threw a huge fit about it. She decided she would pick out two other cookbooks for me and wouldnt you know it she gave me a crappy-ass Jell-O cookbook and a Betty Crocker. I threw out the Jello one. I was so upset when this happened but she decided to give my sister, who by the way is not a cook at all, a authentic Ukranian cookbook that my grandmother had translated into english. My sister never cooked with my grandma whereas I would sit on the counter and help her make stuffed cabbage, latkas and piergos(sp).

I remember those purple bags well. I used to have quite a collection of them as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Ok I called my mom about this question and she told me how she would make it is like this, now if you need alot use as many boxes of Jell-o Lime gelatin.
    2 boxes of Lime Jell-o (you will need to add 2 C. hot water the key is to make sure you stir for a good 2 minutes or your going to have a hard uneatable jello layer then you add 2 C. of cool water and mix for a minute)
    1 to 1 1/2 C. mini-marshmallows but make sure the Jell-O mixture is cool so the marshmallows dont melt. (My mom use to get the "jumbo" marshmallows before they made minis and she would cut them with scissors)
    Let is sit in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap or even a kitchen towel, you dont want a hard top.
    You can serve it with whipped topping too. You can add walnuts or even green cherries.
    Good luck
    this actually sounds very good to me. I love jello salad molds.(except for that horror that Lobelia posted)

^^looks yummy to me. Too bad food snobs have to ruin things sometimes.
    Too bad also that people have taken this thread up as an excuse to bash those who may differ from them in terms of what they like to eat, like lower middle class rural people(they are all hicks and rednecks of course) *eyeroll* My mom used to make jello concoctions all the time and I like them then and would like them now. Too bad she is getting older(73) and does not prepare food as much anymore. Those jello molds actually have a nice place in my heart and in my memory of good times gone by. Why do so many of you have to be so damn evil and heartless about nearly everything? Christ you can't even come into a food thread without having to deal with withering snobbery.

Last edited by Sojiita; September 18th, 2006 at 03:32 AM.

A*O

I'm sorry Soj, you're right. The dish you have pictured which looks like stuffed olives and avocado in lime jello with a guacamole dip in the middle looks very tempting I must say.

But the Canadian Green Thing remember was slightly more opaque and had no obvious morsels of hors d'oeurvres (apart from the marshmallows).
    Dame Edna Everage

I'm sorry Soj, you're right. The dish you have pictured which looks like stuffed olives and avocado in lime jello with a guacamole dip in the middle looks very tempting I must say.

But the Canadian Green Thing remember was slightly more opaque and had no obvious morsels of hors d'oeurvres (apart from the marshmallows).
    looks like canned fruit in the jello and a whipped topping mix to me on top. But I guess canned fruit, jello and whipped topping(out of a can! *gasp*) is just too *lower class* for some. For some reason this thread really bothered me because with every mean comment made I just for some reason kept remembering my own mother making this(yes lime green jello mold). At least it was made with love and it was something that kids(at least then) liked and would eat. And yes we were far from affluent and it was cheap as well. And lime was one of my favorite jello flavors(and still is)..hmmmph!

*everyone is allowed to get pissy about something now and then and this thread just struck me as classist and hurtful.*

A*O

Don't be a Sensitive Susan. I'm not in any way criticising your mom's jello moulds which I'm sure were/are absolutely delicious and hold many fond childhood memories for you. Neither is this socio-economic snobbery. The Canadian version I am talking about is utterly DISGUSTING (that's why I want to make it at our family Xmas - I have TWELVE Canadians - my sister and all her inlaws + kids - in the house for 10 days ho ho ho).

(Plus that green thing you posted deffo has stuffed olives in it which is bizarre in a desert so humphhhh yourself).
    Dame Edna Everage

Don't be a Sensitive Susan. I'm not in any way criticising your mom's jello moulds which I'm sure were/are absolutely delicious and hold many fond childhood memories for you. Neither is this socio-economic snobbery. The Canadian version I am talking about is utterly DISGUSTING (that's why I want to make it at our family Xmas - I have TWELVE Canadians - my sister and all her inlaws + kids - in the house for 10 days ho ho ho).

(Plus that green thing you posted deffo has stuffed olives in it which is bizarre in a desert so humphhhh yourself).
    I just woke up way early and since I am going to visit my mom this morning..i was thinking about how old she is and how she is not going to be around for very much longer. Besides my partner my mother is the only one who I could ALWAYS depend on. And she did make lime jello molds and they were my favorite!!! I guess I am just being too sensitive..this damn thread almost made me fucking cry! I almost cried over lime green jello molds!*GAWD!*....I think maybe it is more than just the jello mold hatred that got to me. And yes I agree that olives in a jello mold would be disgusting..but I really don't see them in that pic.

A*O

Awwww darl - it's only jello. No biggie. Go and give your mom a big hug and have fun. I don't hate jello!!! I just hate CANADIAN jello. Fuck it, where's Grimm when we need him.
    Dame Edna Everage

A*O

^^^ Oh My God - Unless someone comes up with anything worse that's DEFFO the one we'll be eating on Christmas Day! I can hardly wait.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    AO- Any chance that the jello had cottage cheese and not marshmallows?
    This is about as awful as jello gets.
    1 package lemon Jello
    1 package lime Jello
    1 can of pineapple
    1 can evaporated milk
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup mayonnaise or miracle whip
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
    pinch of salt

Drain pineapple into 2 cup glass measuring cup. Add enough water to the pineapple liquid to make 2 cups. Put into saucepan and heat liquid. Dissolve Jello in hot pineapple liquid. Put Jello in refrigerator to cool in pan. Combine remaining ingredients and add to the Jello when the Jello becomes sticky. Combine well and place back in the refrigerator to set up.
    LOL! This is EXACTLY what my great aunt Bea used to make at family reunions - while it's not exactly my favorite, there is part of me that misses eating it, and special occasions aren't exactly the same without it.

Soj, I'm with you on this one ... jello molds and salads are a huge part of my childhood as well and I was a little offended at first too. But just think, so many people never get to know the joys of jello mold desserts - you and I are apparently a dying breed. I think I'm going to make this at Christmas for my family, in honor of my dear Great Aunt Bea!
    Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I saw one a while back that had two guys dressed like pterodactyls and some chick doing stuff while a little unidentified dinosaur watched. It was at that point that I realized (hoped?) I'd reached the end of the internet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information