Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Purely out of curiosity, what do you serve with an average meal?

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    We eat lamb, it's pretty common among those of us with Mediterranean immigrant roots. I made some lovely baby lamb chops on the bbq last week with with garlic, rosemary and olive oil. Yummy.

We also eat veal, which isn't that common among what my grandmother would call 'white bread americans'.

My family too, if there was company or it was the holidays there were lots. We ate cake or pastry on its own usually, not right after dinner.

Growing up, Saturdays were a day for small dishes that we just picked on all day, instead of a formal meal. Things like caprese salad, salami, prosciutto, olives, roasted peppers, artichokes, hard cheeses, breads, different kinds of frittatas (it's sort of an italian egg pie or omelet).

You're making homesick, nostalgic and hungry.My kind of food.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Funny how so many Americans don't eat lamb. It's a beef industry conspiracy! Lots of Aussies don't eat pork, bacon yes, pork no. Strange.
    I looooove lamb and actually prefer it to beef. My mother made a pretty mean leg of lamb. I'm a total carnivore but mostly when I eat out, at home I make a lot of veggie dishes and any meat is always fish, seafood, turkey and chicken, almost never any red meat. Not really sure why but i've always been that way, and I figure it's a pretty good way of limiting my consumption of red meat.
    But I have no problem ordering lamb or pork or beef when I go out to eat and I love game meats too - duck, venison, wild boar, rabbit... I will eat pretty much any animal. But duck and lamb are probably my favourites.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    We eat lamb, it's pretty common among those of us with Mediterranean immigrant roots. I made some lovely baby lamb chops on the bbq last week with with garlic, rosemary and olive oil. Yummy.

We also eat veal, which isn't that common among what my grandmother would call 'white bread americans'.

My family too, if there was company or it was the holidays there were lots. We ate cake or pastry on its own usually, not right after dinner.

Growing up, Saturdays were a day for small dishes that we just picked on all day, instead of a formal meal. Things like caprese salad, salami, prosciutto, olives, roasted peppers, artichokes, hard cheeses, breads, different kinds of frittatas (it's sort of an italian egg pie or omelet).
    I want to be part of your family! I love all that stuff so much, it's like heaven to me. And Italian pastries...oh my God!

We ate a lot of veal in my house as well, but we're not Italian. I never knew that people didn't eat veal on moral grounds, or because they didn't like it, until I got a little older. I still eat veal, especially in Italian restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I looooove lamb and actually prefer it to beef. My mother made a pretty mean leg of lamb. I'm a total carnivore but mostly when I eat out, at home I make a lot of veggie dishes and any meat is always fish, seafood, turkey and chicken, almost never any red meat. Not really sure why but i've always been that way, and I figure it's a pretty good way of limiting my consumption of red meat.
    But I have no problem ordering lamb or pork or beef when I go out to eat and I love game meats too - duck, venison, wild boar, rabbit... I will eat pretty much any animal. But duck and lamb are probably my favourites.
    I love duck and venison! I really love duck a lot. I'm showing my American-ness, but I prefer beef to lamb. I'll eat lamb, but it's not my go-to thing. I want to try goat, but I've not gotten to that.

When I'm cooking for myself, I do make myself steak. That's probably my favorite meat. I don't eat it nearly as often as I have cravings for it. Same with seafood, which I love.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I loved duck for years. Then I got food poisoning while eating duck and sadly associate the smell with being sick I hope I eventually get over that. There's a restaurant in town that does an amazing thai-influenced duck entree. Can't even get near it, though, without feeling nausiated
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

^That's the worst when you get sick on something you like and can't eat it again.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

It really is! Duck has such a distinctive smell too. That happened to me with banoffee pie, sad times
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I was lucky in that I got a very intense stomach flu associated with string beans and not something I actually liked. Didn't manage to ever eat them again.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

I only REALLY cook on the weekends. Whatever I cook on the weekend, will be what we eat during the week. Maybe once or twice a week, I'll pick up Mexican food. But a typical meal at my house is meatloaf, mashed potatoes, black-eyed peas with okra and cornbread. We eat a lot of pinto beans with sausage & rotel and cornbread/rice. My son't favorite meals = smother fried potatoes with hamburger meat, onion & garlic OR chicken enchiladas. I'm big on soups, stews, etouffes, gumbos and such... when I make that I serve rice and or dinner rolls with that. I love turnip greens, mustard greens & collard greens with cornbread - that IS a meal! I love squash casseroles and cabbage - we DO eat vegetables. We never do desserts at home. We have cake and such on birthdays and at holidays. There is typically a sweet snack or two at the house and if you so desire, help yourself!

I find that I do cook a lot of the things the way Momma did - we had pinto beans and biscuits pretty much EVERYDAY when I was a kid because we were poor and had to stretch that dollar. I cook food that is traditionally southern food or soul food.

My ex hated veggies. Then my Mother had a big mess of turnip greens cooking that smelled so good he sat down and ate the whole pot! End of veggie hating.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Midwest here. I love all kinds of food, especially one dish foods, but I have picky eaters in my house. Primarily hubby and middle son who eats EXACTLY like him, which frustrates me to no end.

A lot of red meat. Hubby doesn't care for chicken and pork. I mean, really, who the fuck doesn't like chicken? It's the most boring meat in the world. So tonight, I am doing a steak/corn/potato combo, and generally no dessert. I will occassionally throw in a side of cottage cheese or applesauce. Not much fish. 1) I have a hard time cooking it, unless I am grilling salmon, 2) Unless it's shitty catfish from the Mississippi, fish is expensive in Iowa. But I love grilled salmon, or I put a frozen tilapila on a baking stone and pop in the oven. I even hate how my family eats veggies. Corn or green beans. That's fucking it. Squash? I'm so jealous of you that eat it because there's no way that would fly here. Sometimes, I really hate dinner time, especially if I try something new because someone always bitches? Are there onions in this? Is that a mushroom? Do you know how many times I tell him that I used Cream of Chicken soup when I really used Cream of Mushroom? They don't know the fucking difference. I lie about putting onions in. Ugh, I would love a dinner of stir fry, but I only cook that when the complainers are not home.

/endrant
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

^^ I live with a picky eater as well. He eats nothing that's on a bone, rarely eats red meat, chicken depending on the cut, no pork other than really thin sliced pork cutlets or Italian sausage. Very limited in veggies he likes, basically corn, cauliflower, broccoli and green beans. No foods prepared with diced/chopped tomatoes. He'll eat pasta 6 days a week so it's easy on me that way.

Tonight for dinner we'll be having chicken cutlets, mac & cheese and broccoli. I almost always do meat, veggie, starch when cooking something other than pasta. Pasta is usually gets broccoli or spinach mixed through or sausage, meat sauce or grilled chicken.

I have a family member that eats next to nothing. She eats a lot of junk and fatty foods. No seafood, no chicken, no green vegetables. Mostly beef, pork chops, corn and macaroni. It's annoying.

When I make steak, porkchops, fish or chicken, I always have a starch and a veggi. When I make pasta I make a salad and have bread. If it's somthing like tacos then we have rice. Burgers I make fries. If it's a stew then a salad. I think that covers it.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    ^^ I live with a picky eater as well. He eats nothing that's on a bone, rarely eats red meat, chicken depending on the cut, no pork other than really thin sliced pork cutlets or Italian sausage. Very limited in veggies he likes, basically corn, cauliflower, broccoli and green beans. No foods prepared with diced/chopped tomatoes. He'll eat pasta 6 days a week so it's easy on me that way.

Tonight for dinner we'll be having chicken cutlets, mac & cheese and broccoli. I almost always do meat, veggie, starch when cooking something other than pasta. Pasta is usually gets broccoli or spinach mixed through or sausage, meat sauce or grilled chicken.
    definately nothing on the bone here, and what the hell is the problem with tomatoes? I would put tomatoes in everything if I had the chance.

So last night, I made a one dish deal of leftover chicken, zatarans yellow rice, a little onion (which is the dehydrated chopped onion, cuz we can't have real ones!) a can of sweet corn, COC soup and 2 cups of cheese=endless bitching from my 10 year old (the one with no common sense.) How basic is that meal? Wouldn't even try it. ugh.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Hubby won't eat raw tomatoes, either. It strikes me as a bit odd, since he makes so many dishes with cooked tomatoes in them, but I guess as I balk at the idea of steak tartare, I can see it
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information