Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price of chicken breast by YOU

Default Re: Price of chicken breast by YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    ^^Me too, when I was a student. Strangely enough, I could always afford beer though....
    Same here, LOL.

Alcohol and 3 for 1 99 cent, 16oz angel hair pasta.

He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Elite Member

I rarely buy the boneless skinless breasts anymore. You can get it on sale here for $1.99/lb. but there is still so much fat and gristle that needs to be cut off it's hardly worth it.

I buy the large packs of the split chicken breasts (bone-in, skin on) when they're on sale and roast them. We have roast chicken with gravy a couple of nights, then I pick the bones clean. The larger pieces go into a pasta or salad, the smaller pieces I freeze to use in soup or quesadillas later. I get about 4 meals for 4 people off of 4 large breasts, roasted.

The only thing I use the boneless, skinless breasts for are for marinating and grilling, but my grill broke a few months ago and I've never gotten it fixed, so I've just not used them recently.

But I would NEVER pay upwards of $5 a pound for chicken!

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    But I would NEVER pay upwards of $5 a pound for chicken!
    I am really funny about meat though. I won't eat it unless I am happy it had a beak (assuming it was a chicken), was treated well and not stuffed full of growth hormones and antibiotics. The only way of being sure of that in the UK is to pay through the nose, unfortunately. But I'd rather eat a small amount of decent meat than a load of drug filled junk.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

^^I completely understand that but I am cheap so give me the growth hormone/antibiotic chicken I hate chickens anyway-I have no feeling whatsoever about their suffering(as opposed to almost every other animal alive-I would NEVER eat veal and don't eat pork-rarely eat beef either-feel sorry for the cows)

I used to skin and debone, but boneless skinless are pretty affordable here in TN/MS area. I buy a couple lbs of boneless skinless breasts every week and boil them, shred them and put in 1 cup ziploc baggies and stick a couple in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. Then I have cut up chicken when I need it and it's not a pain in the ass to make something healthy to eat for dinner or lunch instead of eating out. I like to throw some in with those lipton rice or noodle mixes for lunch. Or a salad, soup, Chicken Helper. Whatever. I also make Chicken enchiladas or other casseroles with.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^^^That's what I do, too. I discovered recently that if I stick them in the crock pot covered with water for a few hours, they turn out SOOOO much better, and shred nicely.

eta: Hate it when that happens! Pointing to nothing above me!!!!
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information