Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peanut butter

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Yep-Peter Pan peanut butter & check your pantry as far back as last spring. Number on lid will start with 211. They still can't figure out HOW it happened.Samonella. Can be deadly to small & elderly. The rest of us would just be so sick we'd HOPE to die.
    It must not be every jar. Cause I had one fitting the description that had already been half eaten and nary an ill effect amongst us. I went ahead and threw it out anyway.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

Well you dont have to eat a ton of it to enjoy. how about a teaspoon on top of a luna bar? a teaspoon+half a banana? perfect. also,i used to buy trader joes, but trader joe's uses dry roasted peanuts, which is bad because when you dry roast them, they lose their nutritional value. I agree with a few people here that Smucker's makes the absolute best natural peanut butter.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm pissed I had to throw out 2 jars of Peter Pan because of the salmonella scare. One was half eaten and we didn't have a problem, though. I've become a big fan of Peter Pan's honey roasted peanut butter. Yummy.

You need to eat all natural peanut butter... Jif is all sugar.... natural peanut butter is all peanuts and oil..... which is what body builders eat most of the time.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

We got info at the clinic I work at that it was not just samonella but ecoli was found in the jars. And then we were avalanched by hordes of people thinking every gas bubble or burb they experienced was brought on by the bad Peter Pan and no amount of testing convinced them otherwise. I got sick of hearing "Damned doctor says I have gastroenteritis" from grumbling patients tested for ecoli and samonella.

Yuk! E-coli is even worse! Best just NOT take a chance,really.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel View Post
    There had been a recall on some peanut butter around here for salmonella, I think. I want to say it was peter pan brand and a generic brand...I believe it was for salmonella.
    i do believe it was great value that is walmart brand right. goes to show you it is the same damn stuff just a different name to charge more.

I love natural peanut butter as well. I've seen a Kraft version of it for a pretty good price out there, though I still splurge on the organic stuff because I go through it pretty slowly - ditto with jam.

I'd love to try the Smuckers brand - man, they make some good jam. I don't think I've noticed their peanut butter before.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Elite Member

we have jif these days, jif crunchy..it's pretty good..

Gold Member

I bet Smuckers is the same as Laura Scudder, they bought it not to long ago. Laura Scudder's crunchy has lots of nuts in it and oil on the top, it's so yummy
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Elite Member

^^well you mix in the oil, its a natural separation. jiff, peter pan..etc are all filled with high fructose corn syrup and gross crap like that. why would u want that in ur system?

Quote Originally Posted by honeysuckle View Post
    i do believe it was great value that is walmart brand right. goes to show you it is the same damn stuff just a different name to charge more.
    Yeah it was GV too.

I like Schmucker's Natural. According to the label there is nothing but peanuts. It can be difficult to spread but it is soooooo much tastier than the other commercial crap with added oil, sugar and salt.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by SunShine23 View Post
    ^^well you mix in the oil, its a natural separation. jiff, peter pan..etc are all filled with high fructose corn syrup and gross crap like that. why would u want that in ur system?
    lol, I know. I don't think a mouthful of oil would taste good Anyone ever eat PB with something weird like jalapenos? I love that combo.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

I buy peanut butter from a local store where they just put peanuts in this machine and out comes peanut butter. Cheapo, too! A dollar for a container. They also make their own almond butter, cashew butter, and macadamia butter. Way cheap, and absolutely no additives! Some of the name brand peanut butter also contains lard, which can't be good for you.

I also love PB, especially on whole wheat with banana. Here in Canada @all the stores in the Loblaws chain, you can buy "President's Choice- Just Peanuts PB" I think it only contains peanuts no lard or anything. It needs to be stirred before use. I thought it tasted ok, but I still like buying Squirrel PB, it has sugar added which I love. I don't know if the President Choice brand can be purchased in the USA?
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information