Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 78

Thread: Nutella

  1. #16
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    I've had a jar sitting in my cupboard for months. I keep forgetting about it.

  2. #17
    Elite Member MaryJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    7,379

    Default

    Okay, I can officially inform you guys that the Original Pronunciation here is "noo-tella"

  3. #18
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,275

    Default

    That's in Italy right? The hard English "uh" sound as in Cup does not come naturally to the French or Italians so they pronounce it with more of an "oo" sound. Anyway, it's an Italian brand name originally so it's the Brits who are saying it wrong!

    And I STILL can't believe we are having this discussion.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  4. #19
    Elite Member Tenaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ant's Pants
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    When I was in France, I heard it pronounced "noo-tella." People in the UK overwhelmingly pronounce it the same way: noo-tella.
    I'm from the UK born and bred and I say NUTella, it's made of nuts!!

  5. #20
    Elite Member Tiara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenaj View Post
    I'm from the UK born and bred and I say NUTella, it's made of nuts!!
    Ye me too and pretty much everyone I know says NUTella, I thought that was the whole reason for its name, the fact that is made of nuts!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

  6. #21
    Hit By Ban Bus! DisruptiveHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK, soon to be home in the USA
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Oh fook off :p

    No, proper Yorkshire is "fook off luv."

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenaj View Post
    I'm from the UK born and bred and I say NUTella, it's made of nuts!!
    I've never heard a Brit say "NUT-ella." Ever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiara View Post
    Ye me too and pretty much everyone I know says NUTella, I thought that was the whole reason for its name, the fact that is made of nuts!

    My husband (Midlands born and bred) says you're WRONG. Ya hear me? BANG OUT OF ORDER!
    Last edited by SVZ; October 11th, 2005 at 06:44 AM.

  7. #22
    Gold Member EvilMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Well bugger me sideways with a dumptruck!!

    Its is new-tell-uh.


    What is Nutella?
    Nutella® (pronounced "new-tell-uh"), The Original Creamy, Chocolaty Hazelnut Spread™, is a deliciously unique spread made from cocoa, hazelnuts, and skim milk, that is Spreadably Delicious™

    Well you learn sumfin noo everyday.

    ( We iz wrong A*O )

    http://www.nutellausa.com/faqs.htm
    An EM is like a Scientologist - Unhinged and Unbelievable - Now shutup and place your hands on my EM-Meter

  8. #23
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,275

    Default

    Like I say - Italians don't use the English "uh" sound as in Nut, they pronounce it more like "Noo". But if we went around calling it Nootella we probably WOULD be buggered sideways so let's continue to live in our world of ignorance.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  9. #24
    Gold Member EvilMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    745

    Default

    You are so right....

    Its so blissful here with my Nutella (nah-t-ell-ah) and my yoghurt ( yo-girt not yog-ut )

    and wearing my thongs on the beach ( as in shoe type )
    An EM is like a Scientologist - Unhinged and Unbelievable - Now shutup and place your hands on my EM-Meter

  10. #25
    Hit By Ban Bus! DisruptiveHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK, soon to be home in the USA
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Hehehe...yog-urt. That's how hubby says it.

  11. #26
    Elite Member MaryJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    7,379

    Default

    Even if Nutella is made of nuts, being it an Italian product we have "italianized" its name, so we just pronounce the "u" in "nut" exactly the same way we pronounce "u" in any other word, which is "oo".
    Because that's what sounds familiar to us.
    On the other hand, it's normal that native English speakers tend to pronounce it however sounds more familiar to them, which is "nut-ella" or "new-tella".
    But personally I've never heard any native English speaker call it "nut-ella", I've only heard "new-tella".

    By the way, this debate is so funny! :p

  12. #27
    Elite Member Tenaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ant's Pants
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    No, proper Yorkshire is "fook off luv."



    I've never heard a Brit say "NUT-ella." Ever.




    My husband (Midlands born and bred) says you're WRONG. Ya hear me? BANG OUT OF ORDER!
    People in the Midlands have been known to have problems pronouncing! My boyfriend says your husbands wrong, hee hee :p

  13. #28
    Bronze Member Carlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    When I was in France, I heard it pronounced "noo-tella." People in the UK overwhelmingly pronounce it the same way: noo-tella.

    In France, it's n-tella (like the German )

  14. #29
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Listen, stop fighting about Nutella (noo-tell-ah) and just eat it!

    I always buy it to make chocobananas but I just end up eating it out of the jar while watching tv

    No self control whatsoever.

  15. #30
    Elite Member moomies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough
    Posts
    15,515

    Default

    This discussion has some interesting linguistic significance. Glad I posed the question...

    If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •