Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not supposed to drink liquids while eating. Any thoughts?

I don't care, I HAVE to have something to drink with meals! Water or iced tea. Don't care which!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

I do too, but I just take little sips, and I always did that even before learning about the HCL issue.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Do whatever your body and mind desire unless you have a medical problem to deal with that would stop you from having liquids during a meal.

I'd drink water with dinner if I'm thirsty, especially when eating spicy food. If I don't feel like it then I don't. Other times I'd drink tea or if there's soup then that would suffice (= I'm Japanese so either green tea or miso soup with dinner ).

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I generally drink water or wine with meals. I like coffee or tea with lunch, tho. Don't know why. My mother always said not to drink too much liquid or it would fill me up and I wouldn't be hungry. lol

I don't really drink with my meals, except sips of wine occasionally, or green tea if I'm eating Chinese. I don't know whether it's proven that liquid impedes digestion, but it definitely feels like it to me, so now it's become a habit.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Certain Chinese teas aids digestion and break down fats I think. Like Oolong tea and another herbal tea...can't remember the name at the moment.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

If I drink water BEFORE a meal I find I'm not as hungry as I thought...does anyone else??

Maybe sometimes we mistake hunger for thirst therefore? Of course, we need to eat meals everyday, but mybe my hunger pangs are for WATER not food....Do I make any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    If I drink water BEFORE a meal I find I'm not as hungry as I thought...does anyone else??

Maybe sometimes we mistake hunger for thirst therefore? Of course, we need to eat meals everyday, but mybe my hunger pangs are for WATER not food....Do I make any sense?
    I totally know what you're talking about! I usually drink a glass or two of water about 20 minutes before I eat, and I find it definitely helps me not pig out. I always drink water first if I'm feeling peckish between meals, because like you said, the hunger and thirst signals often get confused.

Gees, I drink at least two to three glasses of anything and everything while I am eating. I am constantly thirsty no matter what i'm eating, liquid doesn't fill me up except for milky drinks

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

You're supposed to have some liquids while you're eating for digestion. Not drinking while eating actually sets you up for comsuming more food and therefore, more calories than you might actually really need. The whole don't drink while eating thing is an outdated crackpot theory from the healthfood sector 30 years ago. Liquids help the stomach digest your food by adding liquid to the process and actually help prevent you from becoming constipated when your meal tries to exit your body.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Veddy true Gator, that's why I sip small amounts during a meal. I found the above to be true when refraining from liquids altogether.

There is one guy here on TV who insists he lost a lot of weight by
    drinking 8 oz of water before,DURING and after! I tried it-Cannot get all that liquid down! Maybe thats how it works: you are so intent on gulping down water you forget to eat!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

By the way, I fear some of you have confused drinking with meals with eating before swimming!

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

The mistaken hunger for thirst is actually true! I learnt that back in high school in my health and nutrition class. Our body's thirst mechanism is weak and sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger, so we should try drinking a glass of water to see if the hunger subsides.

So I guess the eating & drinking is an old wives tale then!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    By the way, I fear some of you have confused drinking with meals with eating before swimming!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information