Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My vent about my recipes

I agree with what everyone's said. I also think you should have directed everyone on that list to the Duggar family's craptastic recipes. Tater tots and ice cream sandwiches galore.

It's not even worth getting upset over people who clearly have no a)taste or b)class. What a bunch of morons.

The recipes sound delish, btw, feel free to share here-we'd show the proper appreciation.

Thanks one and all. It really comes down to good manners, doesn't it?

There were no specifications as to ingredients, amount of people to serve or who to serve.

Foodgasms! Great word.

Look, my childhood friends mother was a true gourmet cook. James Beard and Julia Child only. I had to endure Osso Bucco and Vitello Tonato at age 12. You try giving kids "Veal in Tunafish Sauce". I thought what the cook puts in front of you - you eat.

Suede, check the recipe section for some of the chicken recipes.

The only thing that would throw me off is that they sound expensive, and we are on a tight budget. They all sound fantastic, and I need to know the Lasagna and chicken/garlic recipes.

We eat a lot of the same things, but I always do something new with them. Those people were just rude to make those comments. My girls always give something a try, even if they end up munching on the veggies in the fridge cause it wasn't their style.

These are the people who have turned the "Children's menu" in this country into a fried, disgusting mess. If all you feed them is shit, they won't know anything else.

I've had a couple people who I shared with bitch that my recipes were "too much work", and it was just chicken soup and such from scratch instead of from a can. Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    It's a shame that some parents don't realize that if you expose your children to all kinds of foods, and not expect them to only eat 'kid food', they will have a more adventurous palate and will be much more open to trying new things ... bonus, less fussing and whining at mealtimes.
    Yes indeed. So many people don't seem to realize that uh... kids aren't both with established tastes. So you would never dream of having your kids try sushi, eh? Cause kids couldn't possibly like something like that.

... guess no one bothered to tell the Japanese kids.

Seriously, tastes aren't born, they're made. You feed them chicken nuggets and Kraft Dinner thinking that's what "kid food" is then that's what they'll like. You feed them Lobster Thermidor, and that's what they'll like.

I once worked in a nice sandwich shop/cafe where we baked our own gourmet bread to make sandwiches with. Excluding special orders, we used our Multigrain, Sourdough and Olive White Cheddar breads for sandwiches. We had some very nice, interesting sandwiches but could basically put anything on a sandwich, we had regular BLTs and even grilled cheese. How many times did I hear "What do you have that my kid will eat? Don't you have any white bread?" Um, first of all, sourdough is a "white" bread, but second of all, what the fuck? Kids can't eat grains now?

Philistines.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

My kids have only ever eaten wholemeal, multigrain, brown bread. Just the stuff you can buy in the supermarket, not poncy expensive ones. They don't know any different. They've tried white bread but think it's "tasteless". Faddy kids are taught bad eating habits and food prejudices by their parents.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post

I once worked in a nice sandwich shop/cafe where we baked our own gourmet bread to make sandwiches with. Excluding special orders, we used our Multigrain, Sourdough and Olive White Cheddar breads for sandwiches. We had some very nice, interesting sandwiches but could basically put anything on a sandwich, we had regular BLTs and even grilled cheese. How many times did I hear "What do you have that my kid will eat? Don't you have any white bread?" Um, first of all, sourdough is a "white" bread, but second of all, what the fuck? Kids can't eat grains now?

Philistines.
    Why parents insist on white wonder bread is beyond me. It's so tasteless. Fiber is an "f" word to some people , I swear.

We don't order off the "kid's menu" at restaurants for the most part. Most of the stuff on the kids menu in most places is complete crap. If I'm going to a have a nice meal out why would I want my kid to have a grilled cheese or mac & cheese. We usually split something together, since portions are so big anyway.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

A*O

When my kids were very young I admit I did tend to cook them more basic meals than the adults had because MrAO and I like very spicy food and kids generally don't. However, over the years we have gradually 'weaned' them off the boring, bland stuff and now they enjoy the same food that we do, although my daughter still keeps a pot of plain yogurt handy to 'tone down' the really spicy stuff. Fine with me.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Yes indeed. So many people don't seem to realize that uh... kids aren't both with established tastes. So you would never dream of having your kids try sushi, eh? Cause kids couldn't possibly like something like that.

... guess no one bothered to tell the Japanese kids.

Seriously, tastes aren't born, they're made. You feed them chicken nuggets and Kraft Dinner thinking that's what "kid food" is then that's what they'll like. You feed them Lobster Thermidor, and that's what they'll like.

Philistines.
    Those breads sound so yummy. You have me wanting a sandwich now.

I go to dinner with three kids, 15, 13, 11. The only things these kids eat are chicken fingers, hamburgers, chicken parmagiana and caesar salad. Isn't that what many kids eat in restaurants?

Flak:

Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic

I don't have a written down recipe for the Spinach/Ricotta Lasagna. Just mix one lb. of ricotta with thawed frozen spinach in a bowl. Salt, pepper and dried oregano to taste.

Dry the lasagna noodle, lay it flat, spread the mixture along the entire noodle and roll it up. Fill a baking dish with the rolled noodles. Cover with a thick marinara sauce and bake. Looks like this:

(You can also add shredded mozzarella inside the noodle)

^ That looks very good and it's a great presentation too. I would have never thought to do it that way.
    Thanks for sharing!

That spinach and ricotta lasagna roll up looks delicious. It's making me hungry.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

That's really interesting.. when I was a kid i was so bored with half my mother's cooking.. it was like the same 5 dishes every week. I used to ask them to cook one different, unique or exotic meal a week.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Why parents insist on white wonder bread is beyond me. It's so tasteless. Fiber is an "f" word to some people , I swear.

We don't order off the "kid's menu" at restaurants for the most part. Most of the stuff on the kids menu in most places is complete crap. If I'm going to a have a nice meal out why would I want my kid to have a grilled cheese or mac & cheese. We usually split something together, since portions are so big anyway.
    GOD, I wish I had been raised on whole grain wheat bread. I've tried to like wheat bread but something about just makes me not like it. I think it's the smell. It's weird. I try to eat more sourdough though (least fat of all breads!). And I LOVE fiber one so I def. get my fiber. I just made the switch to fat free milk from 2 % and I actually prefer it because it stays colder.

I will say guys, that my dad is very adventurous and tried to get me to eat all kinds of stuff when I was younger and I wouldn't budge I remain a very picky eater to this day. Some kids just can't be taught I guess.
    I used to not eat mayonnaise and it' not too bad actually, although I don't use it much. I won't eat seafood save for clam dip and tuna fish sandwiches. I just tried mustard like a month ago.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Oh, it's true those people were rude Chalet. Don't worry, we'll appreciate your genius. I might try that lasagna tonight, in fact.

This kid's food issue has reminded me of my MIL. She eats off the kids' menu because she's terrified of trying something new. I love her, she's great but my one issue with her is her limited palate. She has an outright food phobia. No seafood at all, anything spicier than ketchup is unthinkable, anything that sounds remotely foreign is out of the question. I swear she lives on chicken fingers, burgers, mac 'n cheese, meat loaf, grilled cheese, pizza and hot dogs. She does like beef and bacon.

It's excruciating going to restaurants with her.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information