Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most Annoying Party Food

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Default Re: Most Annoying Party Food

Moomies, I've wondered about sushi size. When I make it at home I make the rolls bite sized, just so you can pop one into your mouth without a lot of fuss and I've seen it like that at restaurants in the past. On Saturday night we attended the opening of a supposedly authentic Japanese restaurant in our town and they served me these monstrousity sushi I had to cut into three bites to eat. Awkward!

Pacific, yeah, it's a real eye opener when these folks you thought highly of praise deep fried crap and so-so very average canapes. I have to think it has to do with the changes in our society where nearly no one cooks any more, at least not from scratch. I know tons and tons of SAHMs who think that Boston Market and those meal kits you can buy are home cooking. It's another thing I mourn in our world that's only going to harm us in the long run. I was at the eye doctors yesterday and he was complaining that everyone he dated didn't know how to cook, telling me about one disastrious date where the gal served Tator Tots and baked potatoes as the two veggies. He's a catch for someone but one of his non-negociables is the cooking thing.

Silver Member

At M & M Meatshops (not sure if they are in the US as well as Canada) their recent flyer had a ton of prepared appetizers for partys. My bf and I were looking through as we will be hosting a couple get-togethers. We had to laugh...they have precooked grilled cheese sandwiches!!! They look like there are browned in a frying pan and everything! You just need to heat them up. THAT is the epidomy of laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator
    Moomies, I've wondered about sushi size. When I make it at home I make the rolls bite sized, just so you can pop one into your mouth without a lot of fuss and I've seen it like that at restaurants in the past. On Saturday night we attended the opening of a supposedly authentic Japanese restaurant in our town and they served me these monstrousity sushi I had to cut into three bites to eat. Awkward!

Pacific, yeah, it's a real eye opener when these folks you thought highly of praise deep fried crap and so-so very average canapes. I have to think it has to do with the changes in our society where nearly no one cooks any more, at least not from scratch. I know tons and tons of SAHMs who think that Boston Market and those meal kits you can buy are home cooking. It's another thing I mourn in our world that's only going to harm us in the long run. I was at the eye doctors yesterday and he was complaining that everyone he dated didn't know how to cook, telling me about one disastrious date where the gal served Tator Tots and baked potatoes as the two veggies. He's a catch for someone but one of his non-negociables is the cooking thing.
    Good point about the sushi -- if it isn't small, I always cut it.

I'm just so shocked that some people don't cook AT ALL. This may be sexist of me, but I'm especially floored when it's women who can't cook. But I guess if they don't learn from their mothers or aunts, as I did, then they would have to make an effort to learn and most don't bother.

When I was single friends would open my fridge and/or cupboards and be surprised that they were fully stocked, even though I travelled a lot for my job. I cooked good meals for myself complete with wine because, hell, I deserved to eat well and there's nothing like a home-cooked meal when you eat in restaurants all the time on the road. Plus, I've always found cooking relaxing and satisfying in a way that many activities aren't.

I hope that eye doctor finds someone -- if he doesn't, there are plenty of women here in Canada who know how to cook!

A*O

Thing is, I actually ENJOY the creative process of cooking even more than eating it. I find it very relaxing. I am far from an expert cook and I don't spend my days planning and creating meals (I spend far too long here to do that LOL) but I have noticed that a lot more women simply don't know HOW to cook even a simple meal using fresh ingredients instead of packet crap. It's partly because their mothers don't teach them - not being sexist, but most households rely on mom to do the cooking - and also because schools don't teach what used to be called Domestic Science. When I was at HS we had weekly cookery classes where we learned to make simple, healthy, inexpensive meals. That, plus the easy access to any number of fastfood crapulence means people just don't cook for themselves any more. I went to a party the other day where everyone took a plate of canapes and I made some VERY simple smoked salmon pinwheel bitsize sandwiches - a 5yr old could do it - and people were crazy for them. Most other people took a packet of chips with salsa in the jar, or a piece of cheese with some crackers.

And sorry if this is going OT, but I am truly shocked at the number of people who NEVER eat fruit or vegetables of any description. I cooked a roast leg of lamb with the usual potatoes, carrots, broccoli, green beans, peas for people I knew were very 'conservative' eaters and they ate just the meat with a spoonful of mashed potato and asked for some tomato ketchup!!! I was too astonished to be offended. I made an apple crumble for dessert which I thought was safe enough and they just ate the crumble topping with some icecream and left the apple on the plate. Unbelieveable.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I don't think Home Economics is taught here any more either.

But I know what you mean about people who don't eat fruit and vegetables. I was talking to one of my students and she told me that not only has her mother never cooked for her, at least that she could remember, the only food they had in the house was frozen/canned/processed junk. Not even a bunch of bananas or oranges or apples, much less salad was in the house. Dinner was always out of a box, or from the microwave. And these are well-off people with a monster home in the 'burbs so money is not the problem.

Your dinner guests sound like idiots, A*O. Most people will eat at least basic cooked veggies and fruit. Very peculiar.

Silver Member
    The First Presleytarian Church Of Elvis The Divine

They served some kind of cheese sausage balls at a recent party, they looked like shrunken turds on a plate, disgusting......
    How You Durrin ?

Thanks for getting this thread back on topic. Ewww....

I'll never again serve anything at a party that requires a toothpick to eat.

I went to a dinner recently and the hor'dourves featured those cocktail sausages in a sauce. I almost gagged when I saw one guy actually using the toothpick to pick his teeth in front of everyone.

A*O

And let's not forget the dreaded Double Dip. Dips are very popular here and most people understand the #1 rule - you NEVER double dip (dip and take a bite, then dip again with the same cracker). But it does happen, usually by someone with a streaming cold or other contageous disease. Yuk.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Big thing that Seinfeld did an episode about Double Dipping. Its one of my favorite episodes.
    If I see someone do that even a family member I cut it off and that is it for me.

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    And let's not forget the dreaded Double Dip. Dips are very popular here and most people understand the #1 rule - you NEVER double dip (dip and take a bite, then dip again with the same cracker). But it does happen, usually by someone with a streaming cold or other contageous disease. Yuk.
    Gruesome. I steer clear of dips at parties because I'm scared of double dippers.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information