Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minute Maid/Fruitopia are bastards

January 12, 2011

Huh? Products shrink but prices stay the same

Have you noticed that your favourite brands seem to be shrinking? Well, you’re on to something.
    Consumer Reports recently released its findings about several products that have reduced their size by as much as 20 per cent even though their manufacturers continue to charge the same amount of money for their offerings.
    "From toothpaste to tuna fish, hot dogs to hand soap, companies have been shaving ounces and inches from packages for years," CR maintains.
    Manufacturers are blaming the growing cost of raw ingredients. They say they don't want to pass on price increases – so subtle shrinkage is a handy alternative.

Over at Mouse Print, they've been tracking this downsizing of products on supermarket shelves for some time now. And the list is growing. Thanks to what the consumer protection site Consumerist.com calls the Grocery Shrink Ray, pretty soon you’ll open a carton of a dozen eggs and see there are actually only 11. Here's a current example.
    "Manufacturers make subtle changes to the packages but generally keep the price the same because when prices rise, buyers often seek cheaper alternatives. And the bottom line is that consumers are more attuned to changes in price than packaging," CR says.
    There's a science to downsizing products, and few have studied it as closely as Harvard’s John Gourville. He studied purchasing patterns for hundreds of ready-to-eat cereals and concluded that consumers are far more sensitive to higher prices than to reduced product size.
    To be sure you're getting the best value for your money in an era of shrinkage, check the unit price: it's the number on the shelf tag that says how much the item costs per ounce or pound. That way, it's a no-brainer to calculate whether the larger or smaller item is the better buy.
    Have you noticed any shrinkage among your favourite brands? Do you buy anyway, switch, or get on the phone and complain?
    By Gordon Powers, MSN Money
    Huh? Products shrink but prices stay the same - Everydaymoney.ca is a daily business blog published by MSN Money

Mouse Print* – Sneaky Fine Print is great

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Bronze Member hunterlovesgossip's Avatar

Nutri-Grain bars have gotten a lot smaller. I refuse to buy them now.

Not only is the damn can smaller, but it's not fully filled either. It amounts to two thirds of the original size.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Goddammit I knew the tuna cans had gotten smaller! Bastards.

Even my favorite Chinese restaurant is skimping on portions. Their dumplings used to be huge - and made from scratch. Now they are small and flat. But still the same price. They also no longer offer pints or quarts - just one size in between the two.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Family sized cereal boxes seems to be the size of regular cereal boxes while the regular seems to have mated with midgets.
    Whatever happened to the family size that you could shove a toddler in?

Those boxes are the same size. It's just that the toddlers are morbidly obese these days.

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Goddammit I knew the tuna cans had gotten smaller! Bastards.
    Yup, they're now 5 ounces.

I was a loyal devotee of charmin, til they went from big bouncy rolls of 3-ply to shabby thin 2 ply, so I switched to a cheaper brand that I am reasonably happy with but am now paying much less. C'est la vie.
    Free Charmed.

I can deal with tuna cans being smaller, the planet is almost out of tuna.

Srsly, there's very little left anymore. They're going to be extinct in a few years.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information