Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mexican Coca-Cola makes inroads north of the border

A*O

Bloody HFCS - when is America going to rise up and say "enough!" No wait, the corn farming lobby in DC won't let that happen. This stuff is EVIL (way worse then good old fashioned cane sugar) and I think it's directly responsible for the explosion in diabesity among young people. That, and the internet and Facepad and XBox and, like, whatever.

I'd be interested to try Mexican Coca Cola because I already think the US stuff is tasteless shit. That's why I prefer Pepsi Max (no sugar, lotsa caffeine). American chocolate is shit too. I bet they use HFCS. Try some made in Europe and you'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by A*O; October 4th, 2010 at 04:10 AM.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Bloody HFCS - when is America going to rise up and say "enough!" No wait, the corn farming lobby in DC won't let that happen. This stuff is EVIL (way worse then good old fashioned cane sugar) and I think it's directly responsible for the explosion in diabesity among young people. That, and the internet and Facepad and XBox and, like, whatever.

I'd be interested to try Mexican Coca Cola because I already the US stuff is tasteless shit. That's why I prefer Pepsi Max (no sugar, lotsa caffeine). American chocolate is shit too. I bet they use HFCS. Try some made in Europe and you'll see what I mean.
    I totally agree. I don't know about chocolate ingredients but I know what you mean about hfcs.

A*O

When we've visited the US, and it's been several times, we just can't get over how SWEET everything tastes. Even things like "healthy" wholemeal bread or "unsweetened" stuff. I think there's a sneaky rule about food having HFCS as a sweetener being able to describe itself as "sugar free" ??? It's a total scam. Some of the processed foods in particular are so sweet it makes your teeth hurt but even so-called "natural" foods are full of the stuff. It may not say so on the label but you can taste it immediately.

European chocolate tastes different (better?) because they use high quality West African cocoa beans and simple milk/sugar flavourings. US chocolate beans usually come from South America and I'm sorry but it's an inferior (ie cheaper) product and you can taste the difference immdiately.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

People visiting from overseas and Canada & Mexico say the same thing about how sweet everything is here. We get used to it living here but then when we eat something that is not sweet it's a shock. It's true, the difference is impossible to miss. Unless you eat really expensive chocolate in the US, it is way sweeter than regular European chocolate. I think it has something to do with the coco levels in the chocolate itself, plus the sugar or sugar subs added.

I don't know about Mexican (or US-made) Coca-Cola, but there are definite subtle taste variations in different countries. I've drank Coke in a lot of European countries, and no two are exactly alike.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    I don't know about Mexican (or US-made) Coca-Cola, but there are definite subtle taste variations in different countries. I've drank Coke in a lot of European countries, and no two are exactly alike.

Totally agree. The best coke I ever had was in Tunisia, Majorca was pretty good as well. I always assumed it was just a difference in available ingredients.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The water plays a big part too. Each plant has a different water source.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

We had a blind taste test, and Mexican Coke definitely tastes different from the HFCS crap in the plastic bottle. I hate how the US stuff coats your mouth. I don't drink lots of soft drinks anyway, but a few times a year, I have to have a Mexican Coke. Last time was July 4th, might be time for another one.

Are you one of those Coca-Cola snobs, who will only drink Mexican Coke because it's made with cane sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup? (I am.) You may be the victim of the biggest food cover-up in years!

Well, "cover-up" may be strong, since Coke has neither confirmed nor denied that Mexican bottlers use cane sugar. But according to Time, a recent study that analyzed sodas found that Mexican Coke doesn't seem to contain the compound you find in cane sugar—sucrose. Instead, the bottles seemed to contain glucose and fructose, which show up in high-fructose corn syrup.

Does this mean we've all been lied to by our cool older cousins who told us about Mexican Coke? Luckily for those of us who've staked our reputations on our Coke snobbery, there may be a possible explanation for the lack of sucrose in Mexican Coke—namely, that the bottles were old and the sucrose had split into the other two compounds. (The researchers also said they didn't analyze enough bottles to come to a firm conclusion.) So, yes, you can continue clinging to your feeling of superiority thanks to your discerning taste in the most popular commercial beverage on the planet. I know I will!

(We're also eagerly awaiting, of course, the results on Passover Coke.)

Mexican Coke Might Not Actually Be Different from Regular Coke
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I went to a restaurant near me called Flip and the had on the menu colas made with real sugar. I got a Dr. Pepper and it was just so good. Took me back to being a kid again. The bottle and all!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Good, cause HFCS is even worse for you than all that sugar.
    HFCS is now called corn sugar. anyone fooled? anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    HFCS is now called corn sugar. anyone fooled? anyone?
    ik, r?

if your product wasn't so fucking awful, you wouldn't be changing the name of it to try to trick people into thinking it is the same as cane sugar.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I always thought it was because it came in glass bottles. Beverages taste better in glass bottles than plastic or cans. Just my personal opinion. Also, when I want a soda, I prefer a nice fountain soda. More carbonation, less sugary taste.

I agree about the glass. But I just can't get onboard with the fountain preference. Most times it's way too bubbly and carbonation stings my mouth so I don't like soda. Besides, everyone loves to remind you about the filth and bacteria that builds up in the fountain taps.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    there are a ton of different formulas. at epcot in orlando they had (at least 15-20 years ago when i was last there...) a coke experience where you could go in and try coke from countries all over the world and they were drastically different in some cases.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information