Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Marsha...I think it's the coffee you're buying...

I drink drip coffee every day. I have a Starbucks travel mug that is also a French press - that thing rocks. On weekends, I grind beans, but use lower-end stuff during the week. I love Kenya AA, Ethiopian Yergachef, Kona, Organic Peruvian/Mexican....

I just can't get used to drip coffee, not even after 4 years living in the US. I'll drink it if it's all they have at a meeting or something but I don't like it. There's a weird aftertaste that comes from the machine and that I can taste regardless of the type of coffee they use.

I drink a latte in the morning and - if I go out for lunch - an espresso after that. No sugar or sweetener. I got used to unsweetened coffee ages ago snd now even a tiny bit of sweetener or sugar tastes fucking gross to me.

I used to have a semi-fancy espresso maker and milk steamer that was the best for my morning latte, now I have a stovetop espresso maker which is ok but means I forgo my steamed foamy milk so most mornings I pick up my latte at my awesome neighbourhood coffee place which uses la colombe come free which is amazing, and their lattes are the best. I've had in New York and about 30% cheaper than most coffee places. But I'm definitely buying a proper espresso machine soon, I miss having real homemade lattes.
    As for the coffee I buy for home, I usually buy bags of la colombe espresso at my local coffee shop, or I'll get illy. And I buy coffee when I travel, especially when I go to Central America or other coffee producing regions.

I also love tea and if I don't have an espresso after lunch I'll have a black tea of some kind in the afternoon (usually earl grey) and unlike my coffee, I like to sweeten my tea and the best is a big mug of milky sweet earl grey.

Most nights after dinner or just before bed I'll make myself a small teapot of herbal tea which I drink straight, no sweetener or sugar.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My current favorite is Grand Traverse cherry coffee - Traverse City MI is known for its cherry products. The coffee is really wonderful - not sickeningly fruity at all. I prefer flavored coffees, don't like Starbucks (too acidic), and Baileys creamers (or actual Baileys Salted Caramel on the weekends). Splash of a sugar-free syrup for sweetness (have a bottle of white chocolate flavor right now). 2 cups in the morning, nothing after. Somehow, it tastes wonderful first thing, and not so much after that.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

The Coast Guard coffee is donated to us by the USO, and it is some harsh stuff. But it keeps me going during the day.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Coffee lover here. I have tried it all over the years. I have gone through different phases. French press. Ordered only from Gevalia and only Kenya roast. Cuisinart 12 cup coffee maker,because I decided a bigger pot made it taste better. Coffee grinder and fretted over size of grind. Finally when I down sized, I realized I was being a coffee snob. I now have a treasured Hamilton Beach one cup coffee maker-use the coffee of your choice. I like plain ole' Folgers French roast.
    The coffee furnished all day at my Happy Retirement Home is delicious. Never heard of this until I came here: Farmer Brothers coffee and tea. The tea is equally great. This coffee is kept fresh all day,and that is the biggest key-FRESH.
    I use a bit of sugar & dash of cream. Also-coffee never keeps me awake. I can drink a pot and barely make it to bed!
    lol, same here. Just a plain old Hamilton Beach Brew Station here, 12 cup because the hub drinks waaay too much coffee and I like that there's no carafe to clean, break and/or boil dry. Just push the button and fill your cup. And because the aforementioned drinks so much coffee and is NOT a coffee snob in the least, I usually go with plain old Folgers gourmet supreme. I like a little of the torano syrup in mine, salted caramel is my current preferred flavor.

Last year our neighbors gave us a nice coffee sampler from some mail-order place, don't get me wrong it was good stuff and nice to have fresh-ground, but he couldn't care less, so why bother with the extra time and money. I'm a 1-2 cup morning coffee only drinker, so going the cheap route is fine with me.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

My two favorite cups of the day: first thing in the morning and the cup right after dinner at night. Those two cups seem especially delicious!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^^ Finally, someone besides me who drinks coffee after dinner....

I used to. I'd have an espresso after going out for dinner and it didn't matter if it was midnight, I'd still sleep like a baby. But for the past few years, if I drink coffee after 4-5pm I'll fall asleep but then wake up around 2-3 am and it will be really hard for me to get back to sleep, which sucks. Unless I also consumed a lot of alcohol with dinner, in which case the booze cancels out the coffee and I sleep like a baby.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'd be up all night if I drank coffee in the evening.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Bronze Member

French press here. Lovely local coffees but my favorite is Guatemala. I heat up milk in the microwave and then froth it with an immersion blender. Works great. Just saying.

^^^^
    i like french press coffee too, that's what my sister and BIL drink and i have that when i'm visiting them. my only issue with french press is that it wastes a lot of coffee and you have to use a lot to have decent, strong coffee. and if you want to make coffee strong enough for a latte, it's even more wasteful. so french press works for me when i want a cup of coffee with a bit of milk in it but not so much in the morning when i need my latte.

I'm a latte drinker too. I have a semi-fancy espresso machine, a little Caffe Roma by Breville that's lasted for over 5 years I think. Best $200 or so we ever spent, paid for itself by eliminating our need for coffee shop coffees. Then I fell down the coffee aficionado rabbit hole and splurged on a fancy grinder that cost more than the espresso machine. No regrets. Better living through espresso, I say.

I'll drink a small amount of drip coffee if that's the only thing that's available. There's way more caffeine in that, which I am sensitive to, gives me the jitters.

I've tried fancy coffees but I always prefer Trader Joe's Colombia Supremo whole beans.
    sputnik likes this.

I also love coffee in the evening, but as I get older I notice that it does seem to cause me to have restless sleep, or trouble falling asleep. Not every time.

I don't use any sweetener in my coffee at all. I use half and half and that's it.
    Beeyotch likes this.

^^^^
    i have friends who have a breville and love it. i want this baby:

it's 299 but they go on sale sometimes and go for much less.
    Beeyotch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    ^^^ Finally, someone besides me who drinks coffee after dinner....

If I'm awake, I drink coffee. I can have a cup at midnight and go right to sleep after. I'm such a junkie the caffeine doesn't affect me much anymore.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information