Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Marmite

Bronze Member

A page about hearts of palm

I think Marmite should come with some sort of warning label. "WARNING - USE SPARINGLY", or something like that.

I love a thin layer of marmite on toast. I don't like vegemite as much, it has more of a veggie stock flavour, while the marmite is like beef stock.

Thanks Pookiebear pretty interesting any you learn something new everyday.

The Marmite website is hysterical. http://www.marmite.com/love/

I just got back from the store and found Marmite. I read the label and it stated "Spead very thinly on toast or crackers". Im going to get it later, it cost $4.75 for a small jar but Im willing to try it. I was actually looking for Nutella but this store didnt have it. So Im going to the same store Kroger but a different location and Im calling to see if they have Nutella and Marmite.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_perfect View Post
    The Marmite website is hysterical. http://www.marmite.com/love/
    I loved those commercials, interesting history. I have to ask my Grandmother, she is from Liverpool, if she has ever eaten Marmite. Could bring back some memories for her.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I had a Marmite and cheese sandwich almost everyday for lunch when I lived in NZ. It's sort of an acquired taste, might be a bit yucky at first but you'll get used to it and it'll grow on ya.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I did notice while on the Marmite website on the recipes or sandwiches it made mention of putting butter on the bread first and then thin layer of Marmite. Is this an English thing, putting butter on a sandwich? Does the butter tone down the flavor of the Marmite?

Ok I finally got a jar of Marmite and I put it on a water cracker so here goes...
    pretty sticky and strong yeasty/beef taste but not too bad. I wouldnt say I'd eat it everyday but I wont waste the jar by throwing it away.
    Thumbs up on Marmite

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post
    I did notice while on the Marmite website on the recipes or sandwiches it made mention of putting butter on the bread first and then thin layer of Marmite. Is this an English thing, putting butter on a sandwich? Does the butter tone down the flavor of the Marmite?

I dunno about butter and Marmite, but it's pretty common for sandwiches here to have butter on them.

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    I dunno about butter and Marmite, but it's pretty common for sandwiches here to have butter on them.
    MMM I guess like here in the states use mayo or musturd. Just talked to my mom, my grandmother is from Liverpool, my mom would have Marmite sandwiches when she was younger. My grandmother would bring it over here with her on her trips to England. And she said grandma would make sandwiches with a light spread of butter. As a matter of fact she still does and she is 83 yrs old.

MMM I guess like here in the states use mayo or musturd. Just talked to my mom, my grandmother is from Liverpool, my mom would have Marmite sandwiches when she was younger. My grandmother would bring it over here with her on her trips to England. And she said grandma would make sandwiches with a light spread of butter. As a matter of fact she still does and she is 83 yrs old.

You can find mustard and butter on sandwiches here, or butter and mayo. I never make sandwiches with butter, but that's probably because my mother never made them with butter so I don't have a taste for it on sandwiches.

I like horseradish on my sandwiches, or a nice piquant dijon mustard. English mustard is just TOO strong.

Quote Originally Posted by pookiebear View Post
    A page about hearts of palm

I think Marmite should come with some sort of warning label. "WARNING - USE SPARINGLY", or something like that.

I love a thin layer of marmite on toast. I don't like vegemite as much, it has more of a veggie stock flavour, while the marmite is like beef stock.
    Agree. I love Marmite, but I think Vegemite tastes awful.

I'm from Liverpool too, we put butter on most things here! I couldn't imagine a sandwich without it, it'd be too dry for me. I gave my nan my jar of marmite before I tried it with butter on toast so not sure if I'd like it really seein as though I stupidly ate a full spoon of it to try it (yuck) I'm gunna buy another jar and try it. I think the butter will take away that taste of shit!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Marmite is Good.

But Im an Aussie Kid so Im a happy little Vegemite!

Vegemite is like Marmite with more bite.

Both of them are made from the waste of beer brewing though.
    An EM is like a Scientologist - Unhinged and Unbelievable - Now shutup and place your hands on my EM-Meter

Lil

I hate Marmite, but my sister loves the stuff. As DH said, there is no middle ground. I once read a theory that Marmite eaters are less likely to get bitten my mossies, but have no idea if that is true (it holds for me and my sister - they love me and leave her alone).

The butter thing is interesting - I always butter bread for sandwiches but I didn't realist it was a UK thing. You live and learn....
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information