Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low on money for 12 days, need cheap food ideas

Here's an interesting articles I found:
    Cheap meals — How to think beyond coupons :: by Caroline Cummins :: Culinate

And a list of the 20 healthiest foods that cost $1 or less:
    The 20 Healthiest Foods for Under $1

*black bean & corn burritos...super cheap, especially if you use dry beans.
    *hamburger goulash
    *homemade bread & rolls (if you have flour on hand already)
    *asian noodles (soba or other cheap noodles, fried pork, hard-boiled eggs & green onions...top with some soy sauce or tamari)
    *tacos are always cheap...buy corn tortillas, instead of taco shells (much cheaper)
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by lalala View Post
    I can't believe you don't have pasta on your list, eggs (like scrambled eggs) are a cheaper source of proteins than meat, and once in a great while you could consider adding vegetables to your diet, some califlower or beans shouldn't be expensive
    I thought the same. I know it's a bit different in the US, but here meat is definitely not the way to go if you want to save money. Yes, ground beef can be cheap, but no beef is always cheaper. Pasta, canned tuna, peanut butter and the less expensive fruit and veggies (apples, bananas, oranges, beans, beets, corn, potatoes) are my staples when I want to eat cheaply.

Tuna/pasta casserole with green veggies (broccoli, beans, whatever), cheese and a homemade cream sauce lasts us for days. I can't imagine shredded cheese is cheaper than the bricks - I think I read somewhere that buying pre-shredded cheese equates to paying someone $80/hour to shred it for you! Pizza sauce for a buck... is that for the wee cans that I often see, or a large one? I only ask because huge cans of diced tomatoes are often 79 cents or so and you can then add basil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper (all dried from the spice rack) to that to make a sauce. Cheese and pickle sandwiches = teh win! Ditto peanut butter and banana sandwiches, or tuna.

Good luck!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information