Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lard: After decades of trying, its moment is finally here

Isn't it funny that you guys all have fond memories of lard? (OK, so excepting B!)

The moral of this tale is the same as has been told many times. Two things to remember with food - Moderation & eat less processed stuff as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Oh,lawd. My Grandmother used it in biscuits,pie shells,flavoring in veggies-you name it. I have NEVER tasted anything like her cooking. Everyone was thin-I almost wonder if it tasted so great & that made it so satisfying people ate less-not more.
    A combination of things including not having such a seditentary lifestyle.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I must have a hypersensitive sense of smell, I swear I can taste the bacon-y/pork flavor--which I can't stand--in stuff cooked with lard. It's especially offensive if it's used in something meant to be sweet. My relatives in Mexico cook with lard and I just couldn't eat some things they cooked, it triggered my gag reflex.
    I think there is the proper way to render lard and the quick way. The proper way you don't taste bacon or pork at all. The quick way you do (that's what I do cause I'm too lazy to do it the right way.) I probably should find out. I just buy pork fat and melt it down, but I believe the proper way is to boil it in water and stir it or something like that - not sure. I suppose I should find out...

I bet your relatives do it my way.

Yeah, they just melt it down like butter and then add beans or whatever. The worst was flour tortillas, which I normally love. They had this gamey animal flavor that grosses me out. Made me sad cause I couldn't eat them and they looked so good...

Think of the inches that you saved on your hips!
    Free Charmed.

I use lard for baking particularly for pie/tart crusts. Nothing else will make them as flaky. Lard gives much greater height to cookies too. I love the buttery taste though so I use 2/3 butter and 1/3 lard.

I use crisco to roll out fondant for cakes and it gives it an amazing sheen while keeping the fondant soft. Some swear by it for buttercream but I think lard in buttercream tastes too much like store bought crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    There's nothing like frijoles fritos with lard, IMO. Once in a while, if I cook bacon, I'll even use the drippings to make my beans...
    Every pot of beans I make get the bacon drippings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I use lard for baking particularly for pie/tart crusts. Nothing else will make them as flaky. Lard gives much greater height to cookies too. I love the buttery taste though so I use 2/3 butter and 1/3 lard.

I use crisco to roll out fondant for cakes and it gives it an amazing sheen while keeping the fondant soft. Some swear by it for buttercream but I think lard in buttercream tastes too much like store bought crap.
    I'm with you. I'm a homemade biscuit kinda gal & it makes them flaky and delicious! I also cannot make dumplings without it. I don't fry things in lard but I do everything else with it...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    My parents grew up in the Depression and they remember eating bread and dripping (the beef equivalent to lard). You can't make Yorkshire Pudding with anything else IMO. Animal fat works with roasting things because you can heat it to a higher temperature or something. Potatoes roasted in duck fat - just enough for basting, you don't have to drown them - are quite delicious.
    anything cooked in duck fat is delicious but it is the bomb for potatoes. sooooo good.
    goose fat is also great. when i was in slovakia, their specialty is roast goose, and they serve it with these incredible savoury crêpes that are cooked in the goose fat and they were incredible.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information