Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Krispy Kreme Goes Broke In Australia

I used to like them years ago. First had them in the 80's in Florida when they were mostly a "Southern" thing.

Then like most things good, it exploded, too much everywhere.

To me KK's are too 'sugary.'

yep i can't eat more than one KK a year. they are too sweet for me. being a diabetic, i miss donuts.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I'll occasionally get a DD pink donut if I feel like that sorta thing.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    We didn't need KKs or Starbucks. It's as simple as that.

The coffee in Oz was already great - all those Italian migrants in the 1950s and 60s opened cafes with proper Gaggia espresso machines and they are still going strong (literally). Aussies drink a lot of coffee but we're picky because we know what the good stuff should taste like. Who needs overpriced hot foam and water in a styrofoam cup?

As for Krispy Kreme, I suspect they are WAY too sweet for our discerning palates I've only eaten one once and the sugar content made my teeth hurt. Also, even a one-horse country town here usually has a family-run bakery where you can buy bread fresh from the oven and other fantastic pastries including home-made donuts.
    That's right. Starbucks was never going to work in Aust, we have too many cafes who make great coffee here. Don't know why they even opended Starbucks in Aust, especially in Melb and Sydney.

A*O

We had a Starbucks in our local mall and for a while (about 2 months LOL) and the ditzy 14yr olds loved walking around carrying a Starbucks pretending to be Britney but nobody else went near the place. Either Starbucks HQ didn't do their homework properly or they made the fatal assumption that the colonial hicks Down Under would be gagging for their product.

The other big coffee chain here is Gloria Jeans but I don't go there either because it's run by those creepy Hillsong "christian" crazies and I'm not putting any money in their hypocritical multimillionaire pockets.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

We had a Starbucks in our local mall and for a while (about 2 months LOL) and the ditzy 14yr olds loved walking around carrying a Starbucks pretending to be Britney but nobody else went near the place. Either Starbucks HQ didn't do their homework properly or they made the fatal assumption that the colonial hicks Down Under would be gagging for their product.

The other big coffee chain here is Gloria Jeans but I don't go there either because it's run by those creepy Hillsong "christian" crazies and I'm not putting any money in their hypocritical multimillionaire pockets.

So true, it's all the teens that go to Starbucks in Aust. lol Although we dont' have many Starbucks around now.

Gloria Jeans coffee is awful, I am surprise it does well here, but they were smart opening them at Borders. I didn't know it was run by crazy Christians. Hudson is another one, that reminds me of Gloria Jeans.

I think Aussies just have better taste than to fall for burnt coffee and sugar ball donuts. lol Speaking off, I wouldn't mind some java Down Under, I bet there are some fantastic coffee beans grown down there.

I think Krispy Kremes was over-rated and way over-priced. I'd rather eat a Dreamy Donut. Their real chocolate icing is heaven!
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Question for the Canadians (if any are reading this): What is your opinion of Tim Horton donuts?

I had coffee at various places/restaurants in Sydney and Melbourne and except for one place, it was pretty bland stuff. Australia has interesting names for their standard coffee sizes, too. It's been so long, though, I can't remember exactly what they were.

The one exception, where the coffee was terrific, was at the Four Points Sydney Sheraton. The coffee was amazing, and we found out it was selected by the Salvadoran chef who oversaw breakfast there.

A*O

Short black - espresso
    Long black - large espresso
    Latte - latte
    Skinny latte - latte made with lo-fat milk
    Cap - cappachino
    Skinny cappachino - figure it out!
    Flat white - latte made with cold milk
    Skinny flat white - figure it out!
    Macchiato - black with just a dash of milk

I like a long, strong skinny flat white myself LOL I think the trick is to ask for it "strong" if you like it that way.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I like a long, strong skinny flat white myself LOL I think the trick is to ask for it "strong" if you like it that way.
    Yeah, they charge you an extra shot though. I'm really miffed with Zarafa's now that they've stopped putting 2 shots of coffee in their standard cup...it just tastes like warm milk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information