Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Kitchen gadgets - ones that work and you love

This is the new slow cooker I bought...there were lots more expensive ones but I admit I went with this one because of the cool colors available. It doesn't have all the fancy programmable stuff, but suits my purposes. I love that vintage-looking one Kris posted but I prefer an oval shaped one--it's easier to fit a roast in.

Bella Dots 6 Qt Slow Cooker : Target
    sputnik and KrisNine like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Sylkyn View Post
    I work at a restaurant equipment and supply store. I literally work in y'all's version of Heaven (and yes, we sell to the public, too) and can have anything and everything you want. We have TONS of great stuff, and the best (and sometimes costly) pots and pans you can ever dream of, and pay cost plus 10%. Even on the big equipment.

And all that's good and well except I don't cook. Luckily, my boyfriend has made good use of it! I know jack about the stuff because I'm in Accounting, but if we don't have it, you don't need it. It's fun being able to get top-notch stuff at a ridiculously low price, too!
    Ummm, discounts for friends and family?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

I bought a new Delia cooker because my last one gave out, it was one of those old round ones. Got a new oval one and it's not as big. I've got to find a larger one.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

A*O

My cooker is exactly like that ^^^^^^ fab orange one, only boring. It has a Low, High, Keep Warm, Off dial. That's it. Clever clever digital programmable gadgets, any gadgets, are usually a waste of time and money.
    southernbelle likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I have a Rival Crock Pot. It's an oval slow cooker and it's pretty large. I figured, if I'm cooking something that long, I want enough to last for a couple of days. I think it might be a 7 quart.

I love the vintage colors they have on their website. This looks like one my mom had.

Mine is a Rival, too, but in stainless. That one's like the one my grandma had. I didn't know they were doing the vintage colors again. I'm going to have to go look and tempt myself.
    KrisNine likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

^^Mine is a white one with stenciled pictures of vegetables on the sides. It's ugly, but it works. Plus, it had a thermal cover so you can transport yummies to parties or potlucks. I think I got it for a potluck at work about ten years ago.

I love the vintage one. I think I might have to get it. I love the colors.

I got a really cool cutting board at Costco today for 15.99! It's a small bamboo cutting board that has 7 individual cutting mats. They store under the board. Very cool. $30 online.

A*O

You may not believe this but I can't be arsed to follow the colour coded cutting mat rules. I have a good chunky wooden board which use for everything - a quick wash in hot soapy water between food types works just fine. Better for my knives too which I AM anal about.
    OrangeSlice, twitchy2.0 and Novice like this.
    Dame Edna Everage

^^i'm far too lazy to wash between foods

A*O

Well, truthfully I kinda rinse if there's a lot of blood but otherwise...... Nobody has died of gastro yet.

Speaking of knives. If you like them super sharp, as they should be, get one of these.

OrangeSlice likes this.
    Dame Edna Everage

What brand is that one?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

A*O

Global. Japanese. They know all about sharp knives. I have a few Global cooks knives too which ain't cheap but God they're good. They make food prep a pleasure.
    Dame Edna Everage

This is a little embarrassing, but my favorite cutting board is this extra large plastic one from Wal-Mart. It's indestructible, dishwasher safe, huge, and has a canal around the edges to catch blood or juices from vegetables. I just wash it in the dishwasher in between uses. We have fancy wooden cutting boards, too, but this is the one I find myself using every time.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    enough diddling, dirty whores. i need advice: i want to buy a slow cooker. any recommendations? what do you guys have and do you like it? pros, cons, etc...
    i'm all ears.
    i don't want to spend a fortune but i also don't want the cheapest thing out there that will short circuit and burn my building down. i figure if it's something that you're going to leave turned on all day while you're out, it had better be safe.
    I own a basic crock pot brand that I got on sale at Target for $20, it does the job. My only concern is the outside gets really hot and I bought some trivets to keep it higher off the counter top. I ended up getting a Delonghi cooker, it is a little bigger in the outside and designed so the outside and bottom do not get hot. Both have ceramic inserts. The Delonghi has a timer. The thing that sucks is in the us you cannot find one to delay the start time which is really what I am after.
    sputnik likes this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

i have a couple of cheap plastic boards and a wooden one. i use them pretty interchangeably and i'm not too fussy about washing in between types of food either... i do treasure my knives though. they're villeroy & boch and i got them years ago for a song and yes, they make all the difference.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

i have a cutting board like SB's, i think i bought it from crate and barrel. i like wooden cutting boards more, but they are hard to clean well (esp for raw poultry) so i don't use them.

and i would not suggest getting a beaba, or whatever that thing is called. i made all the girls' baby food from scratch and just cooked everything myself. used either an immersion blender or a countertop blender and it went fine.
    southernbelle likes this.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread Information