Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Kitchen gadgets - ones that work and you love

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I just saw that the other day, Trixie! I'm not going to lie. I was tempted.
    Haha, I know! And it was only 20 bucks!
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Ok, thanks all, I'm sold on the rice cooker now. And the cool pineapple thingy!

I saw this in Big Lots and showed it to my hub AS A JOKE. He is still lamenting that we didn't buy it... *sigh*

ZOMG, it matches the 3-in-1 breakfast station I got for the guest cottage!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I want that pineapple thing.

^ I think I do too.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Rice is easy peasy once you learn the tricks. My MIL gave us a nice rice cooker years ago, but I always felt the rice retained some weird metallic taste of that pot.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    My fav is a tiny wisk found in my Christmas stocking one year. Perfect for coffee stirring and tons of other things.
    I have one too & have fluffy hot chocolate with it (I don't drink coffee).
    Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i'm with you guys on the rice cooker. we have a japanese one that is fancy (it was a gift) but before that just a really simple one.

also agree with sput about the vacu-vin and chalet about the handheld blender.

but another i like is our japanese water bucket. i typically hate countertop appliances, they waste space and don't get used so much, but this thing is wonderful. i drink a lot of tea and this helps.

Amazon.com: Zojirushi CD-LCC40 Micom 4.0-Liter Electric Dispensing Pot: Kitchen & Dining
    OMG!!! How did I reach this age & not know about those??? I need to look into getting one of those! Thanks CZB!
    Free Charmed.

I've been eyeing this for a while, and I finally broke down and got it the other day. It's an all-in-one avocado tool. I love avocados, but rarely buy them because it's such a pain in the ass trying to prepare them. Hopefully this will help.

Oxo 3-in-1 Avocado Slicer
    gas_chick likes this.

I guess that I'm a traditionalist because this is my avocado gadget, my tomato dicer, my potato peeler, my fruit cuber, my handy little kitchen knife

Free Charmed.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I have one knife!

I bought a pineapple thingie at the grocery store today!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I guess that I'm a traditionalist because this is my avocado gadget, my tomato dicer, my potato peeler, my fruit cuber, my handy little kitchen knife

vouch.
    i remember my mother had an avocado thing and an egg slicer in the 80s, and we never used them.
    for avocados, the trick is to cut in half, take out the stone, flip it over and cut the skin vertically using a knife (but without cutting through to the flesh, just the skin), and then you sort of 'undress' it by peeling off each half of the skin. then you cut in slices and walla! perfectly sliced avocado, no gadget needed.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Does anyone have the Sodastream carbonated drink maker? I've seen it in the Williams-Sonoma catalogs lately, and I kind of want to ask for one for Christmas. I LOVE sparkling water. When I drink a coke, it's not because I like the flavor but because I crave the carbonation. I love the idea of being able to make sparkling water in my own home.

Actually, that I might have houseroom for except they are so ugly & expensive & I don't know how much we'd use it...
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    vouch.
    i remember my mother had an avocado thing and an egg slicer in the 80s, and we never used them.
    for avocados, the trick is to cut in half, take out the stone, flip it over and cut the skin vertically using a knife (but without cutting through to the flesh, just the skin), and then you sort of 'undress' it by peeling off each half of the skin. then you cut in slices and walla! perfectly sliced avocado, no gadget needed.
    Yeah, I can do that but since its just me eating them I remove the stone (as above) then cut the flesh into a chequerboard-pattern then use a teaspoon to ease it out. Then eat it with mustard. Nom nom nom.
    Just Kill Me likes this.
    Free Charmed.

My vitamix!

I'm out if town on business for over a month -- I brought an extra bag just somy vitamix would fit. Best investment ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypye View Post
    My vitamix!

I'm out if town on business for over a month -- I brought an extra bag just somy vitamix would fit. Best investment ever!!
    Like this? Holy cow-those things are expensive!
    VitaMix 36019 The Quiet On...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Does anyone have the Sodastream carbonated drink maker? I've seen it in the Williams-Sonoma catalogs lately, and I kind of want to ask for one for Christmas. I LOVE sparkling water. When I drink a coke, it's not because I like the flavor but because I crave the carbonation. I love the idea of being able to make sparkling water in my own home.
    I've never used one but they've been making them for over 100 years so I imagine they're doing something right.
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Like this? Holy cow-those things are expensive!
    VitaMix 36019 The Quiet On...
    My sister has one and swears by it. She got hers reconditioned on eBay though so it wasn't as painful to buy. Plus it has a cool retro look.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information