Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Kitchen gadgets - ones that work and you love

I have a roaster oven. I think mine's bigger than that though. I make a huge batch of chili in there for Halloween, holidays and parties where 20 people are eating chili and the crock pot is way too small. It rocks. I do actually roast things in it once and a while!

I have some of the pampered chef items listed above. I also have their avocado corer. It's awesome. Just pops out of the skin in one piece.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

One thing we don't have that I really want is a waffle iron. I think that's going to be my next kitchen purchase. I'm looking for one that's relatively inexpensive, but works well and won't fall apart.

We don't really have any "novelty appliances" or tools (panini presses, ice cream makers, popcorn machines, etc), and I see so many of my engaged friends registering for tons of that stuff. Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing out, but I remember that my parents had stuff like that when I was growing up and we never used it.

Here's another nifty little gadget I really enjoy: The Williams-Sonoma Tater Mate Potato Brush ($4.95)

I make mashed potatoes all the time, and this makes it a lot easier. The brush portion scrubs the potatoes, and the built in point quickly and easily removes the eyes.

and

The Williams-Sonoma Decanter Brush ($9.95)

This is a flexible brush that can twist and bend to easily clean oddly shaped decanters. I use it to clean my Lenox Tuscany Pierced decanter.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    One thing we don't have that I really want is a waffle iron. I think that's going to be my next kitchen purchase. I'm looking for one that's relatively inexpensive, but works well and won't fall apart.

We don't really have any "novelty appliances" or tools (panini presses, ice cream makers, popcorn machines, etc), and I see so many of my engaged friends registering for tons of that stuff. Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing out, but I remember that my parents had stuff like that when I was growing up and we never used it.

Here's another nifty little gadget I really enjoy: The Williams-Sonoma Tater Mate Potato Brush ($4.95)

I make mashed potatoes all the time, and this makes it a lot easier. The brush portion scrubs the potatoes, and the built in point quickly and easily removes the eyes.

and

The Williams-Sonoma Decanter Brush ($9.95)

This is a flexible brush that can twist and bend to easily clean oddly shaped decanters. I use it to clean my Lenox Tuscany Pierced decanter.
    My mom gave me her waffle iron that she had since her bridal shower- almost 40 years ago. I love it! I went through about 10 different ones because they were all garbage.

You can substitute your George Foreman grill for and panini press. I do it all the time.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

A*O

"Decanter brush". Yeah right..... LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

If you by chance buy the Chefs Envy Mandolin, please follow the instructions and use the safety handle. You can practically take a finger off if you get in a hurry and don't use it-as I just found out.

Otherwise I like it for the slicing more than the dicing. As long as I remember that damn safety handle.

I need a rice cooker(a cheap but effective one).

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I have been searching for this kitchen gadget but have not been able to find it locally yet.

yeah I need to hit the lottery and get this excellent 'all purpose' kitchen 'gadget'.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I don't know what I did before I got my rice cooker either. It's not even that fancy (Walgreens), but my rice is almost always perfect now. I also love my Keurig coffee maker.
    Totally agree. I made rice at Mum's house the other day, the old fashioned way, and despite an argument with mother about how to cook rice (in which I issued the ultimatum "I LIVED IN A SHAREHOUSE FOR TWO YEARS WHERE WE ONLY EVER MADE CURRY OR CHILLI. I THINK I'VE GOT THE HANG OF FUCKING RICE!") I realised it is so, so much easier in a rice cooker. Not least because you can put it on and leave it until you're ready. Even if it cooks before you're done (unlikely, but could happen one day!) it won't go weird or cold.

Favourite gadget, hands down, is one of these: Jarkey - Kitchen Utensils - Eat and Drink - The Good Store
    Best thing I've ever bought. No twisting your arm off to open a stubborn jar, or wrestling with a tea towel or getting out some ancient bloody nutcracker-like contraption* .... this is easy. You pop the seal and it opens easily. Only cost $5-10 or something too. Best money ever spent for my kitchen!!

* my Mum has a gadget draw that hasn't been updated since 1978.

I would love a KitchenAid mixer but have banned myself from buying any further gadgets for the kitchen until I move into an apartment with a bigger kitchen. I have no space to store anything new if I buy it. So, even though gluten & dairy free baking calls for a lot of electric mixing, I'm stuck with the old fashioned elbow grease and wooden spoon. Things turn out OK

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I have a roaster oven. I think mine's bigger than that though. I make a huge batch of chili in there for Halloween, holidays and parties where 20 people are eating chili and the crock pot is way too small. It rocks. I do actually roast things in it once and a while!
    My mother has a 12 quart and 18 quart as well. She uses all 3 to make Thanksgiving dinner every year - it's like having an additional 3 ovens in the kitchen so she spends less time slaving over turkey in the kitchen. They also don't throw off heat like a conventional oven.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

Yeah, baby.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK, I totally am getting one!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Ok, thanks all, I'm sold on the rice cooker now. And the cool pineapple thingy!

I saw this in Big Lots and showed it to my hub AS A JOKE. He is still lamenting that we didn't buy it... *sigh*

InigoMontoya and OrangeSlice like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

We have lots of gadgets that sit in the cabinets. The ones that get the most use are the slow cooker, the Foreman grill, and this gadget I'd seen on TV -- was in Union Station in DC and they had an "As Seen on TV!" store in the terminal, that had all kinds of infomercial products, and I bought the Vidalia Onion Chopper. We call it the Whopper Chopper and use it all.the.time. The other stuff like food processors, blenders, stand mixers, rice/veggie steamers, not so much. Guess I end up doing most of that in the stove or micro.

If you don't have a rice cooker, here's a pretty no-fail way to cook it if you aren't opposed to the microwave: One part rice to two parts water in a microwave safe dish; cover with plastic wrap or your non-toxic cover of choice, just leave a bit off for the steam to escape. Cook 3 minutes on high and 17 minutes on half power. Fluff with fork, and vi-ola. And if you aren't ready to eat when done (not that I'd know anything about that) let it sit, sprinkle a bit of water on it before reheating for about 30 seconds, and fluff again. And vi-ola.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Ok, thanks all, I'm sold on the rice cooker now. And the cool pineapple thingy!

I saw this in Big Lots and showed it to my hub AS A JOKE. He is still lamenting that we didn't buy it... *sigh*

I just saw that the other day, Trixie! I'm not going to lie. I was tempted.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I have had to have a very long discussion with myself not to order that from the Skymiles mag over the years...I'm wavering again.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information