Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm never eating out again!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Funny thing is I thought this thread would be about dirty restaurant kitchens. If you took a close look at everything you eat, you'd start. I can eat at the worst dumps, and I'm still alive and strong.

Never counted calories, beacause I'm slim. I was having lunch at McDonald's earlier this week with friends and work colleagues. I ordered a Big Mac, a Cheddar McMelt, medium fries, and medium OJ. The guys got scared at the amount and began counting calories.

I just eat. Period. I only check the calories when I don't have time for a proper meal, and wanna see if my snacks contain a high enough amount to provide me energy.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    It is pretty ridiculous. I mean, you expect a higher calorie count when you eat out, but some of the totals are just way beyond what you would ever imagine. One could easily think they're being a little "bad" and will just make up for it the next day, when in reality they've had enough calories for a week in one meal. It really pisses me off when some salads are absolutely loaded with fat and calories. What are they doing, injecting the lettuce with grease?

Of course there's an element of personal responsibility involved, but I do think some menu items are just unreasonably - and unfairly - over the top.
    It's the dressing, croutons, and cheese toppings that they use. I order salads with no cheese and with the dressing on the side so I can just have a little taste of it. I have to have the croutons though.

If nobody has tried the guiltless chicken platter at Chili's, you should. It's pretty good and it has less than 600 calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    That settles it, I'm never visiting the US. Having to diet for a few months just to fix the damage of a ten day holiday just isn't worth it.
    That's silly; restaurant food in Europe is just as fattening. The portions are usually smaller, but they're not always. A curry in the UK is loaded...DRIPPING...with fat and calories. A three course meal in a restaurant in France can be an entire week's fat and calories.

Just don't eat everything set in front of you, or order healthier choices like broiled fish, chicken, salad without the dressing, etc.

The few times I've eaten at American chains like Applebee's here, I was shocked at the portions-I literally couldn't finish a hamburger (the actual burger, I didn't even touch the fries) and I'm not one of those people who just nibbles at food. Hell, my boyfriend at the time couldn't finish his either, and he's a 6'4 guy!
    There's no rule that says you have to eat everything on the plate. It's not like they're going to be angry at you. You paid for it, they don't care what you do with it.

So it doesn't have something to do with food additives/preparation? A few American friends of mine have complained about how hard it is to find food without shitloads of crap like corn syrup added to it, and a friend of mine who studied in the US was telling me about how girls at his dorm kept putting on weight from the cantine food even when they were watching what they were eating and just ordering salads (I presume not drowned in mayonnaise-based dressing, though he didn't remember such details).
    It's easy to find food here without unhealthy additives. Just make it yourself. You can find condiments without HFCS in them, but you have to read the labels. The same condiments exist in Europe, but they're usually made with sugar instead of HFCS. The calorie content is usually the same. Organic condiments, soups, etc. are often made with sugar instead of HFCS so if that particular additive bothers you, pay more for your food. Or just don't use them.

As for your friend's friends, they're probably not telling the truth about how much they were eating, plus kids are still growing at that age. I put on 15 pounds in college but I didn't end up overweight. I just wasn't finished filling out yet.
    Last edited by Tati; February 11th, 2008 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    That's silly; restaurant food in Europe is just as fattening. The portions are usually smaller, but they're not always. A curry in the UK is loaded...DRIPPING...with fat and calories. A three course meal in a restaurant in France can be an entire week's fat and calories.

Just don't eat everything set in front of you, or order healthier choices like broiled fish, chicken, salad without the dressing, etc.
    I was in Paris last winter, and even though I ate out every day, I didn't put on a single gram-mind you, the fact I was walking through Paris for at least four hours a day might have contributed. Portion sizes might have something to do with it, as well as the fact I didn't take advantage of the three course menus too often.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    There's no rule that says you have to eat everything on the plate. It's not like they're going to be angry at you. You paid for it, they don't care what you do with it.
    I know that you don't have to finish it! I was just surprised at not being able to finish a hamburger-usually, if I'm very hungry, I still feel peckish after eating a hamburger (minus any fries of course).
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    Funny thing is I thought this thread would be about dirty restaurant kitchens. If you took a close look at everything you eat, you'd start. I can eat at the worst dumps, and I'm still alive and strong.

Never counted calories, beacause I'm slim. I was having lunch at McDonald's earlier this week with friends and work colleagues. I ordered a Big Mac, a Cheddar McMelt, medium fries, and medium OJ. The guys got scared at the amount and began counting calories.

I just eat. Period. I only check the calories when I don't have time for a proper meal, and wanna see if my snacks contain a high enough amount to provide me energy.
    Yeah, I never did either, ate 4100 calories a day when I was young, and topped out at 110lbs. Just wait until you hit 30, then you need to pay attention, otherwise, the pounds will pack on before you know it.

This is depressing. I LOVE the Quesadilla Explosion Salad at Chili's and thought I was doing well in ordering it. It's 850 Calories. Holy crap! I can eat a Chicken Breast, with skin, and mashed potatoes from KFC and it's only 510!
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Last time I was in Europe (10 years ago) the food mentality was different. Most people grocery shopped every other day for fresh produce and such, because they made meals mostly from scratch. But overindulgence is catching on there too. A friend mailed me some pics of one of her European vacation dinners at a Bavarian restaurant. This place specializes in plate-size fried pork schnitzels, supplemented with huge, greasy servings of French fries. The whole thing was topped by a slice of lemon and a sprig of parsley, probably to make it healthier.

Gold Member

I was in Paris last winter, and even though I ate out every day, I didn't put on a single gram-mind you, the fact I was walking through Paris for at least four hours a day might have contributed. Portion sizes might have something to do with it, as well as the fact I didn't take advantage of the three course menus too often.
    In Paris it isn't that the food has less fat/calories per ounce. It's that you are walking so much and eating smaller portions. Restaurants in Paris don't serve you your dinner in a trough. Southern France is a different story! Whenever I'm in Paris or London I eat whatever I want because I know I'll walk it off, but when I'm at home I can't eat that way because I don't get enough exercise to burn off the extra calories.

I know that you don't have to finish it! I was just surprised at not being able to finish a hamburger-usually, if I'm very hungry, I still feel peckish after eating a hamburger (minus any fries of course).
    What can I say. I've seen burgers here so big that I couldn't open my mouth wide enough to fit them in, but it never bothered me. I eat slowly until I'm full and anything that doesn't fit gets left on the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Last time I was in Europe (10 years ago) the food mentality was different. Most people grocery shopped every other day for fresh produce and such, because they made meals mostly from scratch. But overindulgence is catching on there too. A friend mailed me some pics of one of her European vacation dinners at a Bavarian restaurant. This place specializes in plate-size fried pork schnitzels, supplemented with huge, greasy servings of French fries. The whole thing was topped by a slice of lemon and a sprig of parsley, probably to make it healthier.
    There's no such thing as an "European diet", Bavarian don't eat like we French do and we have our regional differences also.

Quote Originally Posted by lalala View Post
    There's no such thing as an "European diet".
    I didn't say there is.

The only times in my life when I ever lost any significant amount of weight was when I completely stopped eating any fast food and If I happened to go out to a restaurant (didn't happen often) I ordered extremely healthy.

The only real way to know exactly what's going in your food and how healthy it is is to make it yourself.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information