Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a recipe for red peppers

A*O

If you have lots of them, try making this chutney. Provided it's kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars it should keep for months. Great with cheese, cold meats, etc.

7 large red peppers (capsicum)
    6 red onions
    1/3C olive oil
    1t ground cumin
    1/2t ground allspice
    1 bay leaf
    3 chillis
    50mL balsamic vinegar
    125mL white wine vinegar
    100g sugar

Cook capsicum on a hot bbq or under a grill until all sides are well blackened. Place in a large bowl and cover with cling wrap and allow to cool. Remove skins and seeds and roughly chop the flesh. Retaining all the sweet juice.

Heat oil in a large saucepan and cook onion and garlic over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Add remaining ingredients and let them simmer over a low heat for approx 2 1/2 hours, stirring periodically until chutney is reduced and thickened.

Transfer immediately to sterilised (fresh out of the dishwasher is fine) jars and seal while still hot.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Cheese on top of anything, *drool*
    Gruyere...roasted and gooey..with just enough slight blackening and crisping on parts for those of us who have that love of slightly burned cheese...mmmmmm..all nutty and rich and delicious..with the popping hot and juicy sweetness of the red peppers..OMG..*passes out*
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

we make a dish that has strips of pork that you brown, then saute' the red peppers after cutting them in strips; add some garlic, can of tomatoes, some Italian seasonings, a small can of tomato paste, and you can toss some wine in if you like that. Cook at high heat to make sure the pork is thoroughly done and then lower to simmer for about an hour. Serve over rice or noodles.

Well, we had them stuffed and they were awesome. Then we had then in a bean soup that I found online, and it was ok. Then my family said," for God's sake woman, make something without peppers!", so I got some garbanzo's, put in some garlic, and roasted the peppers and put it all through the food processor. Froze a bunch of it, and have a tub of it in the fridge. Yum.

Albertson's, if you have one near you, has great produce sales, you just have to watch. I am going to put all these ideas in a word file for next time they go on sale.

Hit By Ban Bus!

oooo, I'm only a mile from an Albertson's but it's an expensive area so I'm sure we're still paying about $4 per pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Gruyere...roasted and gooey..with just enough slight blackening and crisping on parts for those of us who have that love of slightly burned cheese...mmmmmm..all nutty and rich and delicious..with the popping hot and juicy sweetness of the red peppers..OMG..*passes out*
    Crusty Gruyere = heaven.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Where is Sojiita and his peppers? And his sense of humor and his great presence???? Calling Soj!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Roast the red peppers, peel off the skins, slice them thinly, over in sealable jar with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, chopped fresh basil, a touch of salt, a touch of dried oregano, maybe a dash of sugar. Leave in fridge for 5 days? and eat on everything and anything. They are delish.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

Soj has left us

red peppers as in red capsicum right?

I made this salad the other night... let's see if I can remember it

WARM LENTIL SALAD
    1 cup green lentils, washed, bring to boil in 3 cups of water
    then simmer for 20 mins
    1 red capsicum, quarter, place under hot grill for 15 mins or until blackened all over. Then put in a plastic bag and leave to cool (this makes it easier to peel)
    De seed and chop 3 roma tomatoes
    Chop up: 1/2 red onion, 1 clove of garlic (or 2 or 3... I went a bit garlic mad when I made this!), flat leaf parsley
    Then peel the blackened skin off the capsicum, chop and add to the mix. Add drained lentils.
    Dressing - 1 1/2 tbsp each of lemon juice and olive oil.

I think that's all it is, it's really nice. You'll scare off vampires with your breath, but it tastes great and is a nice filler on the side of a quiche or something light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information