Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do you tip the pizza guy (or tip in general)?

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Since I'm already paying a delivery charge and pizza delivery drivers around here make $8-$10 an hour (at least that's what the help wanted ads claim) and ALL they're bringing me is pizza, they get $2 per pie. I tip a waiter/waitress 20% for repeatedly bringing me stuff and because they make shit wages per hour, but a pizza delivery guy isn't getting any damn 20%.

I do the same...$5 delivery charge means small tip. I know it's not the delivery dude's fault, but I rarely order in due to cost, and I just can't afford to tip more.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

We don't order pizza that often, but when we do I tip at least $5 and like last time-pouring rain,freezing cold and I felt so sorry about the delivery woman and then I thought about the awful gasoline prices and looked at her poor car....well...$20 and it was worth it to me! She deserved that from every customer.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^In Canada (esp Vancouver) a medium pizza will cost you at LEAST $13, plus $5 delivery charge = $18 I believe in the $20 buck rule too, unfortunately, Canadians get raped when it comes to the cost of anything.

Here is a question for you.. I get my nails filled every 2 weeks..the owner of the shop does mine.. I don't even know how much it costs..I've gone to her for over 10 years- it was $24 then 26 so I always just give her $30 and that's it..
    So the other day I had to cancel and go in another day.. another young girl did me.. I had a check for $30 made out.. she comes back with change..she says I only charge $21.60.. So I let her keep the change.. And she did a great job..

So am I ripping of the owner on a tip.. Do you tip the owner the same as the help?
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

I suck at math.

So, in Texas (at least the county I am in), tax is like 8%. I take the tax and double it (16%) and tip a bit more than that usually, unless the service sucks. I refuse to reward sucky-ass service.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Elite Member

We will usually pick up our pizzas because we think the delivery charge is a total rip-off and can't believe they expect a tip on top of that too. When we do get delivery if there is a delivery charge, we tip $2 per pizza.

I really wish it wasn't a tipping culture, at least where it's expected and counted on. IMO tipping should be reserved for someone who really went out of their way for you. I agree with the person that said the restaurants are getting rich off the slavery of the wait staff, and I hate supporting that. Wait staff should make just as much (or more!) as retail workers as their base pay. The restaurant lobby must be strong indeed since they can get away with paying wait staff well under minimum wage and expect the general public to be generous with tips in order for the service personnel to make a decent living. That's total BS. I'd actually be in favor of doing away with tipping and if they want to increase the price of each item a bit in order to pay the wait staff a living wage, that's fine by me.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by WitchHazelEyed View Post
    I suck at math.

So, in Texas (at least the county I am in), tax is like 8%. I take the tax and double it (16%) and tip a bit more than that usually, unless the service sucks. I refuse to reward sucky-ass service.
    I'm in Texas too, but in the time I spent overseas the rules have apparently changed. I used to double the tax, but now they EXPECT 20%. 20% used to be for outstanding service, double tax for average service. Since there are a few establishments that I go to frequently, I feel pressured to tip 20% even though I don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMeRhonda View Post
    Here is a question for you.. I get my nails filled every 2 weeks..the owner of the shop does mine.. I don't even know how much it costs..I've gone to her for over 10 years- it was $24 then 26 so I always just give her $30 and that's it..
    So the other day I had to cancel and go in another day.. another young girl did me.. I had a check for $30 made out.. she comes back with change..she says I only charge $21.60.. So I let her keep the change.. And she did a great job..

So am I ripping of the owner on a tip.. Do you tip the owner the same as the help?
    i've always been under the impression you don't tip the proprietor. but i still do anyway because that has never been confirmed to me... at my favorite bar the owner always serves me and i still tip him $1 a drink (since he seems to leave drinks off the tab for me).
    I'm a hard act to follow because when I'm done, I take the microphone with me.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    I really wish it wasn't a tipping culture, at least where it's expected and counted on. IMO tipping should be reserved for someone who really went out of their way for you. I agree with the person that said the restaurants are getting rich off the slavery of the wait staff, and I hate supporting that. Wait staff should make just as much (or more!) as retail workers as their base pay. The restaurant lobby must be strong indeed since they can get away with paying wait staff well under minimum wage and expect the general public to be generous with tips in order for the service personnel to make a decent living. That's total BS. I'd actually be in favor of doing away with tipping and if they want to increase the price of each item a bit in order to pay the wait staff a living wage, that's fine by me.
    I agree completely. I hate the tipping culture. For the past several years I have been living in countries where tipping is generally not expected. Wait staff make decent wages (minimum wage is pretty high in these places) and as a result it is considerably more expensive to eat out than in North America. Even though I actually end up paying more than I would for a meal in N.A., I still prefer it to getting a cheap meal and then having to work out a tip. I hate feeling like people are being friendly to me just because they're hoping for a bigger tip, and I hate feeling obligated to tip when the service is crap because I know how much they rely on it. Here I generally get good, friendly service without having to think about tipping.

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMeRhonda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
    i've always been under the impression you don't tip the proprietor. ...
    I have read time and time again (Miss Manners, etc.) that it is not expected to tip the owner of the establishment. She has her profits and does not rely on the generosity of the customers.

Probably more than most people. At least 25%. But he's very efficient. You rarely see this in the service industry at that level nowadays. And it's not like pizza costs that much in the first place, fer chrissakes.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^Um $18 for a medium is not cheap in my books...maybe I just need a better paying job? Or a change of location?

I tip nothing, because we don't do tips here.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I usually tip 25% too.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I've delivered pizzas before, just for extra money. Pizza chains keep the delivery fee they charge the customers, which isn't fair, because drivers use their own cars and pay for the gas. People like to blame drivers when the pizza is late, but tbh, it's almost ALWAYS the restaurant's fault. I worked very hard for my money, and so whenever I tip people, I always tip extremely well. I'd guess around 30-35% percent in a restaurant, and at least $6.00 just to the driver (when I order pizza), if I order no more than $16-17 worth of food.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

My stepfather who always handles the coat check told me that he now tips 2 dollars per coat.

I figure on 20 percent tips all around when it comes to services. Maybe not on food deliveries, but I hardly get food delivered. The one thing that I don't tip well on are taxi's. There is also a 50 percent nighttime surcharge which has never been explained properly. I just can't see tipping 2 dollars on a 7 dollar cab ride.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information